Over the top pitching

I am a pitcher in australia and ive been told i have an unorthodox pitching style.My release point for my fastball is over my head, not the right shoulder.It feels fine to me when i pitch it, but its hard to control my circle change. Should i change my angle to a proper over the top, or change to a three finger changeup??
Unfortunately i dont have a photo or video, Ill try to get one tomorrow at training.
Thanks

If directly over the top is your natural arm angle, you shouldn’t try and change it, that can result in injury.

I would say just experiment with several different types of changeups, find one that works, and stick with it. A suggestion of mine would be try a splitter, I faced a kid last year in AAU that threw at about 12:00, and all he threw was a mid 70’s fastball and a late diving splitter. Needless to say, it was a quick game. A splitter can be effective from that angle because your fastball and splitter will look exactly the same, and with no horizontal break, the splitter will be difficult to pick up even midflight.

Post a picture or, better yet, some video so we can take a look at your posture and other aspects of your mechanics before we worry about the arm slot.

Sorry, i wasnt able to get any video of my throwing action at training, the lighting of the area was shat.
I was trying out a spliter and im finding it hard to control it and find a release point, any other suguestions or should i keep working on it??
thanks

over the top is good for dead fish kind of change-ups. what i mean is that you change-up will just die as it reachesthe plate instead of tailing away like fernando rodney or even pedro martinez. tom glavine throws it like that and sometimes he barely get to 83 mph with his fastball but his change-up is so effective that hitters say it looks 90mph. johan santana throws it from a very high arm angle too and it totally dies. yesterday i was lookijg at a redsox-blue jays game and Hideki Okajima an asian pitcher from boston i had never see was throwing from a very high arm slot with a change-up that looked like a curveball. so i say keep working on your change-up and dont give up anyway youre not the first one to have control problems with it. it takes a long time to master but is the best off-speed pitch in baseball.

[quote=“Booma”]Sorry, i wasnt able to get any video of my throwing action at training, the lighting of the area was shat.
I was trying out a spliter and im finding it hard to control it and find a release point, any other suguestions or should i keep working on it??
thanks[/quote]

Well if it was working movement wise, then just keep practicing. Don’t use it in a game yet, a splitter is one of the most difficult pitches in baseball to learn. Work on that along with a plain changeup in bullpens. I like splitters as a third pitch because it can give a pitcher the strikeout pitch without needing a breaking pitch. I just wish I could throw one…