Over Striding

Hi, I’ve got a big problem with over striding. I can tell it’s really taking my speed down, and my control has gone right down with it. Any tips or suggestions would be helpful Thanks.

BTW: My height is 60" and I’m 12

What makes you think you are overstriding? What symptoms are you experiencing?

My pitching coach has told me I overstride. What I’m seeing with my self is that I’m falling on the mound ( slipping and falling, stepping off the mound) throwing high, and probaley my pitching coach knows some other things I dont. I’m trying to figure out a reasonble spot to land.

My pitching coach has told me I overstride. What I’m seeing with my self is that I’m falling on the mound ( slipping and falling, stepping off the mound) throwing high, and probaley my pitching coach knows some other things I dont. I’m trying to figure out a reasonble spot to land.[/quote]

Since you’re missing high, it sounds like you could (also) be rushing.

In general, it sounds like you are trying to get too much power from your stride (you’re striding too fast and too far) rather than focusing on getting your hips rotating before your shoulders.

SchillingBeckett
Would you by any chance be reaching with your front foot, as opposed to generating sideways momentum and then letting your front foot be deposited by your hip rotation? Try this. Stride sideways to build up momentum, then extend and rotate the back leg/foot and core into landing. Don’t think about reaching with the front foot in this little experiment. Think about spreading the knees, not the front foot action. There’s more to all of this, of course but give it a try.

Decide where you want to land and then put an old baseball glove just in front of that spot. You’ll shorten up your stride pretty quickly to avoid breaking an ankle.

[quote=“dm59”]SchillingBeckett
Would you by any chance be reaching with your front foot, as opposed to generating sideways momentum and then letting your front foot be deposited by your hip rotation? Try this. Stride sideways to build up momentum, then extend and rotate the back leg/foot and core into landing. Don’t think about reaching with the front foot in this little experiment. Think about spreading the knees, not the front foot action. There’s more to all of this, of course but give it a try.[/quote]

Can you please explain sideways momentum and striding sideways?

Thank you

I have a number of examples on my web site…

Here are some of the best ones…

Your stride should be as long as possible while maintaining posture and balance and having explosive hip rotation. Ask your coach what symptom he’s seeing that leads him to claim you’re overstriding. (For example, you may be lunging with the lower body causing the upper body to lean back - the resulting uphill alignment of the shoulders could certainly cause you to throw high.) Then shorten your stride until that symptom is corrected/eliminated.

[quote=“dm59”]SchillingBeckett
Would you by any chance be reaching with your front foot, as opposed to generating sideways momentum and then letting your front foot be deposited by your hip rotation? Try this. Stride sideways to build up momentum, then extend and rotate the back leg/foot and core into landing. Don’t think about reaching with the front foot in this little experiment. Think about spreading the knees, not the front foot action. There’s more to all of this, of course but give it a try.[/quote]

BINGO!!

Thanks Chin.

Chris. Nice pics. See, I’m not completely against stills. :smiley: