Over rotated landing foot

My son is an 11 year old right hander. He has pitched successfully for the last 2 years. He just picked up the habit of his landing foot being over rotated severely at landing. Has anyone seen this problem and know how to correct it? He has been made aware of the problem but cannot make the correction. Landing like this cannot be good for his knee so it must be corrected asap. I have never seen any other pitcher ever do this. Anyone have any suggestions?

Do you mean pointing to 1st base side? If so, Ive had this for a while and had no problems with my knee even though it looks messed up. Took me a while to get it “fixed” again but did see increase in velocity/control. I can’t tell much how or what without a video though. Neither can any others here without seeing what is going on in his mechanics.

Gordoeagle,

To the glove side or to the ball side ?

If he steps rotated towards the glove side why would this be a problem? If he rotates his foot towards his glove arm this means he is landing on his heel and rolling across his foot to the ball of the foot the way it is built when walking trotting slow running and striding as far as traditional splits drive mechanic puts you and where separation is supposed to be a good thing between the hips and shoulders at foot plant He’s actually attaining more rotational potential during the acceleration phase by doing this. It will allow him to possibly get his center of mass ahead of his land foot to also use it to apply force on the ball. This mechanic that is natural to how we propel ourselves forwards actually has a heel to toe neural signal that tells the legs to contract correctly one after the other and extends the knee to stay tall for more downwards plane on the ball drive.

I have not only seen this I teach it. Watch Tim Lincecum, Trevor Bauer do it and many more.

This means you are listening to people who are telling you it is wrong and believe them!
If he has a very low arm slot this would be more wrong, If he has a high arm slot he is doing it right and a high arm slot is where he should be.

Does he also step to the glove arm side of the driveline (the line that runs from second base to home plate thru the pitchers mound) ?

Landing like this is actually better for the knee.

Landing with the knee locked in is terrible for the landing knee and receives tremendous twisting torque from the bodies mass stressing this stopped and angles in foot also putting tremendous stress on the hip and on the lateral and medial collateral ligaments and meniscus of the knee that results in complete knee replacement with Many long term adult pitchers after they retire because they have been taught to lock the foot inwardly towards the ball arm side.

many do but that would be if I am on the same page with you, you did not say what angle it was oriented at. In or out?

Ya, tell him to stay tall and use this technique to then rotate 180 degrees by punching his ball arm leg through that this technique allows for better. Tell him to rotate the foot also the rest of the way. When he is half way through his acceleration phase tell him to lift through the foot and push towards home.

Thanks for the feedback. Trying to figure out how to post some still frames so you can see.

Gordoeagle,

He looks awesome, Look at how he takes the arm up and back by taking his thumb up in supination at the same time his glove foot lands, this is outstanding and will help protect his UCL when he starts the acceleration phase.
I would have him step further to the glove arm side (left) and rotate his body even more.
His foot is landing the way humans are built to do it heel to ball of foot and by him turning it out will allow him to rotate better and further and eliminate knee and hip injuries later in life. Have him stay taller at finish.
With his ball side foot in the hole, see how he has his heel turned towards home plate a little, this causes over early counter rotation that is a gateway to forearm fly out and future shoulder problems. I have my clients put their foot on top of the rubber Like Sandy kaufax and Satchel page with the toes hanging over so he can push on the rubber plus stops over early counter rotation. He already lines up very well with his shoulders and arms because he is not starting with a drop in step full wind up and rotating into his balance position, this is good and the way it should be. When he starts to wind up watch for more off of the field driveline over early rotation because it will cause it.
What pitch is that he is throwing? If it is a fastball have him put both his fingers (index and middle) together to make one large finger drive with the thumb directly behind and under and opposed to the fingers, you will see his velocity increase by this change.

Gordoeagle,

You must understand that Yardbird’s comments are in the context of Dr. Mike Marshall’s mechanics. Marshall invented a set of mechanics that are designed to eliminate injuries. While they probably succeed at reducing injuries, they have not proven to get pitchers to the highest levels of the game.

If you are trying to understand Yardbird’s comments while picturing traditional mechanics in your mind, you might find it difficult to understand Yardbird’s comments. I invite you to check out Marshall’s mechanics via his
http://www.drmikemarshall.com/][u]website[/u
to learn more and make your own call.

Roger,

Why is this disclaimer necessary? Nobody writes a disclaimer about your affiliation with the NPA that produces known injurious force application and most do not reach the highest level?
You must understand that only fast twitch performers reach the highest levels of competition now and in the past and the percentages of these performers in the population is very low.

These top half mechanics have produced a Cy young award and many MLB players in the past if you include the MLB as the highest level, This lie or ignorance is perpetrated everywhere and now here by you. In the last 3 years these mechanics have produced 2 first rounders totaling more than 55 million in bonus payouts just by my house, one in the MLB and one in the NFL, the NFL player learned and performed these same mechanics for 6 years before he dropped baseball as a freshman at Santa Margarita High school, he was only allowed to throw the pronated cutter in that it is the baseball pitch that emulates the perfect football pass pronation as taught by Dr.Marshall who by the way taught the NFL quarterbacks how to correctly throw back 25 years ago when they were producing many injuries. Now add in many others who perform many of the tenets like Lincecum and Bauer who perform the top half mechanics and the count just keeps going up
You probably have not noticed but the proliferation of the arm arrival mechanic that this kid already performs like Verlander and the change over to pronated pitches and staying taller is sweeping the MLB and will continue to, here at LTP in order to keep up should take your advice to visit Dr.Marshalls web site but not listen to false contentions by non experts on the subject.

Every mechanical suggestion that I portrayed to the OP have been performed in the MLB, College and high school, all high level baseball in the past in part, Dr.Marshall only makes recommendations as to which one are non-injurious, he did not invent most of them.