Over cocking

when you are bringing the ball back is there such thing as over cocking your arm. Where you bend at the elbow too much. Is this bad? and what effects if any does it have?

Well you don’t want to bring you elbow above your shoulder, I believe Chris O’ Leary calls that hyperabduction.

You should read his essays on arm action. Quality stuff. His website is http://www.chrisoleary.com/

I’m sure I’m going to get jumped on over this post but oh well here it goes and please keep in mind this is simply just my opinion on the man and his work:

Chris O’Leary is quality stuff…

I’ll give you some credit his website is interesting, but quality stuff I don’t agree.

He tries too hard to force Pitcher’s to fit his hairbrained theories. First he claims to be a Pitching guru (with no real true experience) and now he’s dabbling in hitting. Yes I know he does work for some covert MLB team, and that’s great. I’ve had many a debate with him and read many a great debate about his theories, but it’s far from quality stuff.

Someone on here a little while ago posted a great description of O’Leary and his theories, I wish I could find it. It had something to do with his ‘predictions’ about injury.

zforce39 could you maybe describe in better detail what you are asking,I think I know what you are saying but I want to make sure before I answer.

I don’t really care about his predictions and evaluations on MLB pitchers, since it doesn’t really concern me. However, I just like his essays on arm action, including rushing, inverted w, inverted l, hyberabduction, etc.

Just my two cents though.

He does write some interesting stuff, I’ve seen him get best down and he keeps getting up, so you know the man is passionate about it.

He has written some stuff that does have some merit don’t get me wrong, I don’t hate the guy, but if you don’t know what you’re looking for when you read something, and you try some of this stuff you could wind up doing more harm then good.

Chris O’Leary’s stuff shows correlation, not causation.

I wouldn’t think having a <90 elbow angle wouldn’t be natural when you are in E&O

what i am trying to say is that when you have the ball back behind your head in the “cocked” position. is it a bad thing to over cock it or have the ball closer to your ear. kinda like how Rich Hill does it.
http://www.mikeandjen.cc/images/hill.jpg

i’m really just wanting to know if that can affect velocity and lead to possible injury.

Still not clear on what you mean, do you have a pic that shows the over cocking?

I could be totally thinking of somethng else though

This is the pic.

http://www.mikeandjen.cc/images/hill.jpg

see how he makes like a 45 degree angle with his arm. i am wondering if that can affect velocity and or hurt the arm

If you look at guys like him and Lirano (SP) Most people say that with the way their arm is and the way it goes through their motion leads to elbow problems, umm watch this link to a video and pay attention to what is said about Lirano.

I think it’s what you are asking about.

http://mlb.mlb.com/media/player/mp_tpl.jsp?w=mms%3A//a1503.v108692.c10869.g.vm.akamaistream.net/7/1503/10869/v0001/mlb.download.akamai.com/10869/2007/open/features/mechanics/mechanics_bad_400.wmv&pid=gen_video&cid=mlb&v=2&mType=w&urlstr=&mUrl=&type=v_free&_mp=1

i can’t get the volume to work for that link

One thing I noticed in all those pitchers is they ‘fall off to the side’ on their follow through.

You will be fine. The forearm has to get the same position anyway.

I asked this question to the folks at ASMI, on their forum. The answer I got was that they have no hard evidence that arm angle in this phase of the pitch is inherently harmful but they say that extremes, whether a tight angle like this or the opposite, open angle, can place stresses on the tissues and possibly could be harmful. Again, no hard evidence though.

I asked this question to the folks at ASMI, on their forum. The answer I got was that they have no hard evidence that arm angle in this phase of the pitch is inherently harmful but they say that extremes, whether a tight angle like this or the opposite, open angle, can place stresses on the tissues and possibly could be harmful. Again, no hard evidence though.

My concern is the same one I have for the M, or inverted W, approach to arm action in the early phases of the pitch. Again, no evidence but just a concern. That is, by delaying either the lifting and externally rotating of the arm in the M arm action, or delaying the extension of the elbow in this arm cocking, the resulting external rotation of the humerus or extension of the elbow “may” be more violent when it eventually does happen.

Theory only, up for discussion.

so does anyone think that overcocking could negatively affect velocity?