Out or not?

The catcher throws the ball back to the pitcher, but, the throw is a little high and the ball tips the pitcher’s glove and rolls towards second base. There’s a runner on second and he’ about six feet from the ball.

The ball is still live, mind you.

Situation (1)
The second baseman glances at the runner on second and makes a casual flicking motion with this hand for the runner to toss him the ball. So, the runner casually takes two steps off the bag, picks up the ball, and flips it to the second baseman.

Situation (2)
The second baseman glances at the runner on second and makes a casual flicking motion with this hand for the runner to toss him the ball. So, the runner casually takes two steps off the bag, picks up the ball, and hands the ball to the second baseman.

Is the runner on second base out in both situations - or, only in one, or not out at all.

Coach B.

Yes he’s out, he touched a live ball.

hmm, definitely out in situation number 2, as the field had contact of the ball and was touching the runner at the same time… but in the first scenario, i thought the rule was that you were only out if you were hit by a batted ball? For instance if you’re running from 3rd to home, and the left fielder is trying to throw you out at the plate, but the ball hits you in the back mid flight… you’re not out… it’s a live ball, but you’re not out?

The thing that i’m wondering is if he’s out because he deliberately touched a live ball, instead of inadvertently?

Yes, base runners must be hit by a batted ball that has not touch an infielder to be out. In this case, the ball tipped off the pitcher’s glove so that removes the possibility of being out by beinig hit by a batted ball.

Now, in scenario 2, does handing the ball to the 2B constitute a tag? Could be.

Could it be that by picking up the ball that the baserunner is out in both scenarios due to interference?

Rule 7.08: Any runner is out when – (b) He intentionally interferes with a thrown ball

that was my thoughts as well, this would make him out in both situations, however i wonder if the umpire would actually call you out in situation number one, as you’re not really interfering, you’re actually helping them out by trying to speed up game play… i’m sure big country joe west wouldn’t mind! :wink:

Would most definately get a big laugh out of the parents.

Ok, … so how about a pitched ball that pops out of the catcher’s mitt, called “ball one”, rolls a bit in front of the plate, no runners on, and the batter reaches down and picks up the ball, then flips it back to the catcher. Is that considered interferance? Is that touching a live ball bay a offensive player?

Coach B.

If that is ball 1, 2 or 3, probably doesn’t matter. But if it’s ball 4, the ball is live.

but would the fielder be intentionally deceiving the runner? in which case it would be a fielder’s balk. but i guess if the runner is stupid enough to pick up a live ball (assuming its not little league) then he kind of deserves to be called out.

Don’t think there was any “intentionally deceiving going on” at all, i would think that the fielder was just being lazy, i guess if you practiced that as a way to get a runner out then its just weak. Runner is still out! No deception, players have to learn the rules somehow, wouldn’t happen to the same player twice.