Other sports?

Have you ever not played other sports in the offseason (fall and winter) for fear of getting hurt for baseball? Football comes to mind as a sport many parents dont always encourage their kids to play. I like the idea of playing other sports in high school (especially in the fall, allowing a player to maintain athleticism and be part of a team working toward a common goal). Is football getting a bum rap? And should parents really be so concerned?

Full disclosure: i played soccer in the fall. (Let the jokes begin :slight_smile: )

I ran Cross Country in the fall on played baseball on the Saturday evenings, a double header each time for my fall. XC does not increase athleticism from what I know. It greatly increases your cardiovascular endurance, but we all know how well that translates over into baseball…

I stopped playing football this year because baseball is my real sport and the one I love, every year I would end up not being able to play a good deal of the baseball year because football 1) time got in the way 2) injury prevented me from playing even when I had time 3) pitching mechanics changed since I would throw the football a lot.

Good to have a fall without swollen knuckles (not really good since my curve is a knuckle curve). Banged up knees, those hurt without football and of course every year I got 30 or 40 helmets to the ribs, back front and side. Made it really hard to throw well.

I played basketball but I saw it as conditioning for baseball and a means for me to take myself away from baseball. I was so intent on becoming the best at pitching that I needed that mental break from the game so I thought basketball would be good to still be competitive and yet take my mind off the game

I think if kids want to play other sports, they should be encouraged to do so. It’s not usually until the junior year of HS that you figure out if you have the ability and desire to play at the next level.

Plus too much baseball (or any activity really) at a young age is a good way to cause burnout.

I couldnt get my son to practice baseball even though that is the sport at which he is most gifted. It was always football, football, football. Entering his sophmore year of high school he decided to skip football and focus on baseball, playing travel ball for the first time. He did play basketball and enjoyed that. However, his fast ball speed went from 74mph to 66 mph in the offseason, Im guess from just not throwing at all during the basketball season. So, I will allow him to play any sport he wants as long as he maintains his baseball throwing schedule as well. Variety is good for the body and the mind I think. Unless your kid is throwing 93 at 16 and is headed for the draft, let him enjoy and experience as many different sports as they want. My only rule with that is, if you make the team (my son has made every team he has ever tried out for…even basketball even though he had never played organized bball before) you are NOT allowed to quit if you decide you dont like it. Commit and play with passion.

To quote Colbert: “Watching soccer is like watching the grass grow with a bunch of soccer players in the way.”

Never got into it. I will say this for soccer though. When I was coaching football (youth football up to about 12-13 years old) I could pick out the soccer kids by the second or third day. Their change of direction skills were so much more developed than the other kids. Much quicker, not always faster, but almost always quicker. Most of them could change direction without shuffling their feet. I think soccer has some great benefits. I just cant watch it.

My son, a freshman in high school, decided to play football this year. He started conditioning with football in the spring. Went to summer workouts and practice.
After two weeks of hitting he became concerned about hurting his shoulder and knees. He decided to give up football and concentrate soley on baseball.
He began summer ball which included workouts, pitched through the summer, and continues to workout for baseball this fall. Along with workouts and hitting, he is on a throwing schedule, getting ready for prep season.
I think the important part of all this is that he made the decision to dedicate strictly to baseball.
I don’t think this is necessarily the right decision for everyone, I think each kid needs to decide what’s best for him.

My thoughts are changing on this subject. My son is in 5th grade and is playing football for the first time for his school. They start club tackle programs in 1st grade around here. He has always wanted to play but we thought he should wait until he was older.

At the last game 3 kids had to go to the hospital. One concussion (the kid took three steps than collapsed), a broken wrist, and another undisclosed.

Later that week we went to our local D1 college game, where there were many injuries. I was also tuned in for the first time to how banged up the players were. It was kind of sad! Many many many of the player had a hitch of some sort in their walk.

I’m playing fall ball.

When that’s over, (around mid November) I will begin a strength and conditioning program that’ll last to the beginning of March.

My son is playing freshman football. It has been good for him on so many levels. He is stronger and faster just from moving with all the equipment. He went to a tryout for the spring baseball and had a great tryout with one day of practice. I think its because of challenges of playing football. The tryout was a breeze. I think the challenge and discipline of playing on a team makes you a better athlete in any sport.

I really like this post as well as others that are for playing other sports. I wouldn’t have it any other way. I can’t wait for basketball to start for my son (7) and daughter (11) and after that, somethIng else. I know from being a three sport athlete, that I could not be the coach that I currently am without it. I don’t mean a good or bad coach, but more of being able to handle the student-athlete of today. As a coach you are so many things to these athletes. A pitching guy, a psychologist, a brother, a mentor, a disciplinarian, step-mom (unattractive one at that) an enemy, a back patter, etc. I would have had no chance at any of these without having played all those sports or by parenting. (which is coaching at it’s best)
Play different sports and grow. If you are fearful of getting hurt, you will. If you have fear? You cease all forward movement.
Because of baseball only athletes, I have considered making all take leadership courses to start. Playing other sports do a great job of teaching leadership. I won’t continue to rant. I like this post.

Thanks coach. Appreciate all the pitching info. you provide to us.On a side note his fastball went up 5 mph and his throw to second as a catcher went down .3 seconds. Thats after nine weeks of no baseball. This is making me rethink somethings.