Opinions on Baseball Factory/Under Armour National Team?

Hello, everyone.

My son entered his senior year in highschool today, and he wants to play college baseball. He’s our first, so we don’t know anything about college recruiting, etc. A month ago he attended a $60 dollar pitching camp to get some pitching tips, and to our surprise, came home with a scholarship offer. Last Sunday, he attended a Baseball Factory showcase (his first showcase ever), and today they called and said they had chosen him for the Under Armour National Team…they say he has strong Div I potential. They want him to be one of 14 boys on the team they take to Jupiter Florida next month–for $2999 a boy. They say he will get big exposure to Div I scouts and needs the promotion and training they provide. Does anyone know anything about these organizations? They want an answer from us by Thursday. Is this a real distinguished honor that’s worth $2999 or is it a money-making scheme that uses the Div I potential as bait?

I would be GREATLY appreciative of comments from anyone who has knowledge about this program.

Thanks

David

Well Jupiter is the real deal…it isn’t a sham at all. We attended 2 years ago not with the UA team but my son was recruited by a team out of Tennessee to play (One of the Orge brothers). We were invited so he could get looked at by a scout from the Rockies. At that point he hadn’t comitted to a school (Subsequently we had some things happen that precluded D-1 ball). He was also invited to play for Under Amour, we turned it down (We had already dropped some considerable money with another team and felt he didn’t need the exposure. 3k a whole bunch for 1 tourney.
The process is this, grades/SAT/ACT are paramount without them you cannot make the choices you’d like, next, school, choose a school that fits your son, does the team have the need and what are the requirements for that school and that team. It’s why multiple schools are recommended to give the ability to adjust. For example The University of Florida, a big name D-1 program, they won’t talk to you at all unless your grades and SAT are like better than 3.5 and 1500, so talent gets you somewhere but grades open the door. It is essential to not waste time looking where you cannot go. Next the coach and program, at The University of North Florida Dusty Rhodes is an outstanding coach with a great program, but he is a stickler for discipline (He’s not a drill sargent, he’s a very quiet man but he won’t tell a kid twice…pay attention do your job or find another school) and conditioning, if your son isn’t someone who can dedicate himself to everyday workouts at 5 AM then he won’t thrive.
I think the biggest thing that many parents miss is that D-1 scholarships don’t cover spit, so you better have the finacial wear-with-all to pay some really high tuition and housing costs. My son was given a full ride with a State College (Used to be called a Community College here in Florida but now they offer a 4 year degree so they are now all State Colleges). It covered everything including books and room (Well we had to pay I think $180 per month additional). So that is a consideration also. If you don’t have the money then start now looking into student loans and grants.
So don’t get too caught up with a name “I have to go to Duke, or Cal State or Texas” unless that is within the grade and cash criteria I’ve mentioned. I advise folks to fit the kid, playing at a high level post high school is great but the majority won’t get drafted so get him a great education doing what he likes is also a really sound piece of wisdom.
Good luck, GET STARTED!!! It is a blink of an eye and on you before you know it. Congrats on his being recognized by an elite team.

JD’s advice is golden…I’ve also been through the process as my son is a college freshman this year.

Getting right to the point. My son participated in a Baseball Factory Team event in Florida. If you choose to participate I think you will get what they promise. The people involved never stretched the truth, treated the team members respectfully, filled their day with baseball, quality food and good coaching. Transportation and accomodations were first class.

Having said that, don’t forget you are paying top money for this experience, this is a for profit business. With the economy waning businesses must extract the maximum amount of money from its customers to continue to survive. They will tell you things you want to hear. Some players are easier to compliment than others but they will be complimented. I think the bottom line is you will get what you paid for if you choose to go. My son made a few contacts, met a pro scout or two and got references for his college resume.

College baseball scholarships are not like football full rides for the most part. It would be quite easy to spend your son’s four year scholarship money by attending too many showcases and team events as a junior in high school. JUCO’s maximize your return on that investment for the average kid. Those who are academically qualified for DI probably will receive added scholarship money for academics on top of sport participation. DII’s are a mixed bag.

I encourage you to research the recruitment process on the web. Discover that there are a few companies like Baseball Factory who will do the recruitment for you for a price. Also discover that you can do alot of the work yourself if you want. In the end it is like a job search. For me, it became an experience I won’t forget. I just wish I had another one coming along so I could apply the hard lessons I learned the first time through. And I’m just a little jealous of your position now. Enjoy!

baseball factory scam is not worth the effort and a waste of money. If you want to invest money for showcase then do Rawlings Perfect Game. I took my son to baseball factory and Perfect Game. One month after showcasing at Perfect Game we started getting emails from D1 schools and also an agent. We did not get one contact from anything from baseball factory. Keep in mind my son got a high score at Perfect Game. Baseball Factory said he wasn’t good enough for D1 or their so called Team One.

Also Baseball Factory shows Top 100 on their team one website, some of which did not even attend baseball factory. I know one personally who was high ranked at Perfect Game and did not attend anything baseball factory yet baseball factory had him listed. Baseball Factory in an effort to promote high profile baseball players will list players that scored high through Perfect Game or other venues. You would think they would only list players that attended their events.

Baseball Factory is a business to make money and so is Perfect Game but the format and the whole system at Perfect Game is much better and appears that more people follow it.

Don’t fall for the Baseball Factory Scam of going to train at one of their facilities. They are just trying to suck as much money as they can from you. I could site many examples of why but there are too many to write.

If you want showcase videos then hire a videographer with HD camera or buy your own and film your son’s game play and put on youtube. Use those videos to send to coaches. I recommend doing Perfect Game if you got the skills. I don’t recommend going to Perfect Game if you are not a top notch player. You will get a high score if you can run fast, throw hard, hit hard and are 6’-0" or taller. I know that seems silly but that is the facts.

Let the college coaches decide if you are talented and if they want you. Don’t let the subjectivity of their personnel grade your skills.

[quote=“baseballfactory”]baseball factory scam is not worth the effort and a waste of money. If you want to invest money for showcase then do Rawlings Perfect Game. I took my son to baseball factory and Perfect Game. One month after showcasing at Perfect Game we started getting emails from D1 schools and also an agent. We did not get one contact from anything from baseball factory. Keep in mind my son got a high score at Perfect Game. Baseball Factory said he wasn’t good enough for D1 or their so called Team One.

Also Baseball Factory shows Top 100 on their team one website, some of which did not even attend baseball factory. I know one personally who was high ranked at Perfect Game and did not attend anything baseball factory yet baseball factory had him listed. Baseball Factory in an effort to promote high profile baseball players will list players that scored high through Perfect Game or other venues. You would think they would only list players that attended their events.

Baseball Factory is a business to make money and so is Perfect Game but the format and the whole system at Perfect Game is much better and appears that more people follow it.

Don’t fall for the Baseball Factory Scam of going to train at one of their facilities. They are just trying to suck as much money as they can from you. I could site many examples of why but there are too many to write.

If you want showcase videos then hire a videographer with HD camera or buy your own and film your son’s game play and put on youtube. Use those videos to send to coaches. I recommend doing Perfect Game if you got the skills. I don’t recommend going to Perfect Game if you are not a top notch player. You will get a high score if you can run fast, throw hard, hit hard and are 6’-0" or taller. I know that seems silly but that is the facts.

Let the college coaches decide if you are talented and if they want you. Don’t let the subjectivity of their personnel grade your skills.[/quote]

So then you liked it?

pretty ironic - baseballfactory doesn’t like Baseball Factory. :lol:

THIS IS THE REAL COLD HARD FACTS ABOUT THEM! I know this post was a while ago. But after being with baseball factory for a while we have found what system they use and in a way, how it’s a scam. Baseball factory has a ton of kids with them. They will see you once and they will mark you down as a certain tier baseball player. This rating stays with you forever as long as you’re in the program, for example a D1 bound stud will be a tier 1 and a kid not as good will be a tier 4 or tier 5. If you’re a tier 3, 4, and 5 they’re scamming you. They’re charging you 3000 dollars to go to events with college coaches who are paid to be there and that have no interest in recruiting you because they know the tier level you’re on with their system. They only send you invites to places based on your tier level so the kids don’t mix. Baseball factory gets the good kids looked at and scams players that could be developed into better baseball players. For example when I tried out for the first time I didn’t do very well I was a late bloomer and blah blah blah. A year later I started going to their events in Florida Arizona, New York, all these places and noticed that I was facing seniors throwing 70 miles per hour. I had progressed and matured physically so much that the baseball competion was below me by so much it was ridiculous. I wish I could’ve saved my family almost 8,000$.