Opinions for my 8 year olds growth

I know theres going to be 100 different point of views with this question but, I feel like my 8 year old is extremely advanced for his age. He’s always played up in club and will be playing 10U this fall, he turns 9 in January 2023. So just for giggles at my oldest sons high school summer team practice we let him use the radar gun for the first time and he’s ever aging 47-48mph and he topped out hitting exactly 50 a few times. This was after throwing a 30-40 pitch bullpen and he’s a lefty/lefty as well.
My question is what do I need to do to keep his arm strong along with improving his speed so that’s he’s throwing maybe 55 by this fall and maybe 60 by this time next year.

. He’s 8. Advanced for 8, what does that mean, 10? Nothing you do now will make an ounce of difference in terms of later development and the emphasis on it at this early age will likely cause burnout by 15. Just play catch and promote fun. Development is not linear so starting early doesn’t mean better faster. Enjoy the game, enjoy the mistakes and enjoy the silliness of 8 year old baseball. The game gets really hard at 13 (big field) make sure he keeps loving the game enough to handle failure. As far as arm development, simple long toss, not structured just play a game of how far can we play catch at. I’ll end with this, it is far better to let the kid figure it all out himself by just playing over time than trying to build robo-pitcher. Don’t over correct flaws at this age, don’t say “don’t throw side-arm”,etc. and let him play up as long as he can handle it and wants too. There is something to be said for playing with your classmates at this age vs trying to develop early, it should be his choice.

1 Like

BbalDaD29,

“Options for my 8 year olds growth”

The first and most important option for every parent or wannabe coach is to read all of the information contained at Drmikemarshall.com where you will first learn how youth males actually grow, at what rate and how much stress is correct at the right time. Nobody else in any sport has this detailed the way he has done it and he’s ours.

“I know theres going to be 100 different point of views with this question but, I feel like my 8 year old is extremely advanced for his age.”

This usually means the youth is high in motor skill aptitude or is biologically advanced?

You say he is 8 chronological years old. Are you aware of his biological age? Is he an advanced, equated or delayed maturer? In boy’s the spread is up to 5 years in difference and the younger they are the harder it is to diagnose.

“He’s always played up in club and will be playing 10U this fall, he turns 9 in January 2023.”

The older they get the closer they become! Let’s more worry about how he develops physically with good health.

“So just for giggles at my oldest sons high school summer team practice we let him use the radar gun for the first time and he’s ever aging 47-48mph and he topped out hitting exactly 50 a few times. “

This is virtually one the worst thing you can do or have for development. Him performing for a gun at elevated adrenaline levels helps nobody, even those High schoolers.

“My question is what do I need to do to keep his arm strong along with improving his speed so that’s he’s throwing maybe 55 by this fall and maybe 60 by this time next year.”

First he needs to learn how to throw with no pathomechanical errors in his lengthening then shortening delivery before any unnecessary for his age speed work is involved. Speed work now does not earn him velocity later, only the higher chance of perturbing Bone growth regularity.

Here’s is a little eye opening fact about male growth patterns you are unaware of that I would like his mother to read, not just you, now that I have read these questions!

In Equated maturers (Biological age matches the chronological age) at 8 YO the Epicondyle of the Elbow (the large Boney mass between the Humerus, Radius and Ulna) that contain the 4 large growth plates that are also forming is completely translucent in an X-ray! Red Flag dads.

At 9 Byo/Cyo a white dime sized dot (hardened bone) appears at the tip of the Elbow.

At 10 Byo/Cyo this turns into a nickle sized white spot.

At 11 Byo/Cyo it turns into a quarter sized white dot.

At 12 Byo/Cyo it grows to 50 sized.

At 13 it completely solidifies white, now they have 3 years more of growth from the Elbow where at 16Byo/Cyo the last of the 4 growth plates close.

Imagine now your child may be a late maturer that has little to do with his motor skill.

You like all parents and coaches need this info to make batter decisions.

2 Likes

This was extremely detailed and I actually appreciate every aspect you just gave me. Weather I agree or disagree with anyone opinion it’s always eye opening to listen to others.

just let him have fun and enjoy the game. It is a great game, so just trust that fact. if you love the game which i think you must just play with ball and make sure it is fun!

C. S.

I would recommend a good movement program. Particularly if he is a single sport athlete. Great Resources for this is TCUs head baseball strength coach Zach Dechant’s Movement over Maxes. Concentrate on body strength training form. How many correct pushups can he do? How many correct chin ups can he do? How is his form on forward and backward lunges? Out sleep and out eat his peers. I would concentrate on things that would increase his velo and protect him from injury that doesn’t include pitching such as a good arm care program. Many advanced kids get passed by in their teenage years because they do not have the foundation or embrace the entire process (work out side of pitching) that is required to stay healthy. His velo means nothing now. I know it’s hard to believe that as a parent. I have been there with my son who was in the top 92% of 13 yr olds in vleo on PG but as an 18 year old is in the top 85%. When we concentrated on velo there was little to no increase. Once we put the radar gun down after 2 years his velo spiked. I know it sounds rhetorical but enjoy this time watching him compete and as a parent don’t express excitement to him about his velo. His friends will do that. The best thing is to keep him healthy. My son has played with 3 pitchers from travel through HS that missed at least 1 full year due to growth plate issues. 2 were LHPs.

There should not be 100 different opinions, but then most of these opinions are based on ignorance. If you want my opinion it is based on facts in the physics of throwing and swinging sports-related stuff in connection with human biomechanics. If not, then try one of the other 99. Yes, some humor there…