Opening up too early

Does opening up too early cause a loss in velocity? Any information would help.

Any element of the delivery which does not allow efficient motion to the plate affects velocity, yes opening early can and does do that.

A
Any idea on how much?

Now you need to really think about your question…how would I know? :wink: It would depend on the pitcher, how much, how early, any other issues…kind of impossible to say without a specific case in hand.

Possibly from personal experience or from others.

ok it can be a bunch or not so much depending on the pitcher, from much personal experience I’ve seen it be just like that.

Now I’m not smarting off, it is the way it is…post some vid if you think you are and some folks will chime in to see if they can’t just give you a hand.

[quote=“jdfromfla”]ok it can be a bunch or not so much depending on the pitcher, from much personal experience I’ve seen it be just like that.

Now I’m not smarting off, it is the way it is…post some vid if you think you are and some folks will chime in to see if they can’t just give you a hand.[/quote]

Would it make a big difference?

It could.

CG are you serious???
Why don’t you post video and everyone will be able to see how much difference it can make.

Am I Bill Murry reliving Groundhog Day here? Because how many times can you ask the same question. Since your dying for an answer, no it won’t make a difference, in fact if you stay closed North Korea will stop watching this Topic and get back to work on developing a nuclear weapon, then test fire one successfully, then WWIII will break out…so please for god sake don’t stay closed!!!

Now in all seriousness, really depends on the factors JD mentioned. When I was 16 and first started pitching I flew open like crazy once I stayed closed I saw about a 5-6 mph jump, but if I didn’t fly open as crazy it might have only been a 2-3 mph jump. IMO staying closed is less about a higher velocity but more of taking stress off the shoulder.

Yes most definitely. By opening up with the front side, your arm will drag and will be late. Your arm may be fast enough to catch up to where you can still throw strikes, however this causes problems such as not getting the proper extension, missing high and arm side, and putting a lot of stress on the shoulder. Pitching is all about timing and extension. If you can learn how to stay closed then you will see a BIG increase in command of your pitches. I do indeed know of some drills to help solve this because I used to have the same problem so please feel free to reach out to me for some drills and tips. Good luck!