Opening hips to soon and leaving pitches outside

This is a big problem for me. I am left handed and would like to throw inside to righties more but cannot seem to get there. My poor mechanics are that I open up too soon, my arm drags and I hit the outside corner or am way outside to often. I’d like to throw inside to righties and also think keeping my hips closed longer will generate more power but need an excercise to help me with this problem. Ideas?

The “Hershiser drill” is one of the best I know of at getting the hips fully involved. It requires no special equipment, just a fence or a wall. You’ll find the details on how to do it on this website. The whole point is to get you to use the whole body—drive off the lower half, using the legs, the hips and the torso in one continuous motion—and the hips are the connector. This is the real key to a pitcher’s power; I call this “The Secret” and I learned it a long time ago by watching how the Yankees’ Big Three pitching rotation did it. When you establish this connection you’ll find yourself generating more power behind your pitches, throwing harder and faster with less effort—and improving your control in the process. How not to get a sore arm! 8)

Pay attention to your posture and glove. Postural tilt can lead to early shoulder rotation. So can an unstable glove side such as dropping, pulling or flying open with the glove. Get the glove arm into an “equal and opposite” position with the throwing arm and maintain that to as close to front foot plant as possible. That will enable you to delay shoulder rotation.

Make sure you are getting propper, balance position on the post, then drive the hips toward home like Zita said by using the Hersheiser drill. Next make sure you aren’t just throwing the ball to home but also pulling the ball to home with your glove side too, last make sure you end with your throwing shoulder aimed right at the target with your throwing hand over the opposite knee.

This sounds like the ol’ balance point. But the Hershiser drill Zita recommended is all about getting the hips moving early. Dynamic balance through the delivery? Yes. Balance point? No.

No! Pulling the glove almost always leads to early shoulder rotation which is the problem padriag has. Stabilize the glove out front somewhere above the front foot and bring the chest to the glove.

Be careful that trying to do this doesn’t make you rotate early. Don’t try to finish a certain way. Use how you finish as an indicator of what you did earlier in your delivery. If something doesn’t look right, figure out what to fix earlier. Let follow-through/finish happen.

Well said, Roger, as usual. I’d add a bit to the shoulder rotation thing. Make sure it’s timed well (late) and significant. Where it ends up will happen as a result of everything else. Attempting to stop it right at the knee line can cause a deceleration just prior to it, which you don’t want. Good, hard shoulder rotation, late.

Roger, I think the hersheiser drill uses a lot of balance, not a balance point that stops and then moves forward but a defiate feeling that the pitcher is in control of his body weight (where ever he chooses to move it). Many pitchers aren’t in control of their balance and therefore not in control of where they land, how and when they open their hips, their balance when they land…and I feel that that goes right through the upper body including abs and everything from that point on.

My feeling is that the “tall” part of pitching doesn’t need to be stagnant ie. the use of the hersheiser drill, but should relate to a point in which the pitcher begins his controlled movement forward.

Ok. That’s a fair explanation that seems to agree with what I called “dynamic balance”. I’m good with that.

Agree 100%.