Opening hips and toe drag

I thought you were supposed to open your hips and transfer your weight forward just after you land with your GS leg. After looking at video of Roy Oswalt and Tim Lincecum, I see they open earlier. I don’t even think it’s possible to have a toe drag and keep your hips closed until landing. Anyway, am I wrong about the mechanics of opening your hips/transfering your weight?

ya but dont swing hips fully open (probably doubt it cus of flexibility)

upon landing hips are slightly opened then swivel around with shoulders following

[quote=“Drewski”]ya but dont swing hips fully open (probably doubt it cus of flexibility)

upon landing hips are slightly opened then swivel around with shoulders following[/quote]

Not quite sure what you mean. When you say hips are slightly open, do you mean the GS leg is open or that your front and back leg are somewhat open? Because if you look at Roy Halladay, he lands with his back leg closed, but he transfers his weight by rotating his knee open.

dont worry so much about all that, when you push off late in your delivery with your legs and hold your shoulders back you will achieve good mechancis (arm path is another subject)

halladay lands closed but hips are facing past 3rd base but his shoulders are closed

its a well sync’d fast motion

me and my son have worked for 2 years on getting a toe drag after landing and we have still to perfect it. we both can land with our shoulders closed, front foot on the line with toe pointing slightly right of home plate, and we can even stride out 85-100% of our height. the problem is that we tend to release the ball as our back foot comes off the ground instead of dragging the ground. we also tend to release high instead of out front.

any drills to help?

You more than likely need to adjust your release point. Try a release point out in front of your GS knee. This may help with thetoe drag.

open the hips just before landing, not way before but just before, the back leg should follow with a drag if weight transfer was good.