open tryouts

how many colleges have open tryouts? does anyone know about SUNY stonybrook?

you posted this a few months back but i figured id answer it now anyway. I have never heard of a college that wouldn’t even take a look. Some colleges have a rep for taking walkons and have a rep for not taking them. But either way, every coach will, at least more than likely, take a look.

To add onto what velo is saying,

Most if not all Colleges have Open-Tryouts for whoever wants to come out and try and make the team. It’s very, very rare that a player will walk on and make the team. Many walk on guys are guys the Coach has already contacted and said ‘come and be a walk on guy and next year we will find some money for you’

My freshman year in College we had a guy walk on, and he turned out to be our best relief pitcher for that season, after that season he walked away and played for the Colleges golf team.

alot of the time they coaches will have the “walk-ons” stay for the fall. This allows for extra people to pick up balls, throw bp, softball, clean up the field, fundraise…

but then at the end of the fall or when the season comes they’ll let em go.

[quote=“Wales Diesel”]To add onto what velo is saying,

Most if not all Colleges have Open-Tryouts for whoever wants to come out and try and make the team. It’s very, very rare that a player will walk on and make the team. Many walk on guys are guys the Coach has already contacted and said ‘come and be a walk on guy and next year we will find some money for you’

My freshman year in College we had a guy walk on, and he turned out to be our best relief pitcher for that season, after that season he walked away and played for the Colleges golf team.[/quote]

does it work differently for DIII teams and club teams? I’m under the assumption that coaches at these two levels pay much more attention to guys who are trying to walk on.

Since there’s no athletic scholarships in DIII everyone in a sense is a ‘walk-on’, so Coaches will look at everyone, but they already have an idea of what their team is going to look like.

As far as club teams well it depends on the level of the club team.