One problem

You have to learn how to pitch in the strike zone without throwing over the middle of the plate. Inside/outside, high/low strikes. Getting ahead of hitters hitters is key. If you walk the lead-off hitter they will score. When you get to 2-0 give the hitter something to swing at. Let hitters get themselves out.

When u walk the leadoff batter what is done is done. Oh well. its not the end of the world. think of the next best scenerio for the situation that you are in. Ok ima get a groundball here and double them up. you shouldnt let small mistakes effect your whole game. the sooner you get over it the better you will be.

Satchel Paige once said, “Throw as close to the plate and as far away from the bat as possible.” Easier said than done? Nope. The key, as I see it, is knowing the batter’s strengths as well as his weaknesses. If he’s a good low-ball hitter who has trouble with the high fast ball or the high anything for that matter, you can go after him with one of those. If he hits the high stuff, keep the ball down. If he’s one of those guys like Yogi Berra who would go after anything if he can get a piece of it—the best thing to do is put him on.
Ed Lopat spoke of this particular strategy—intentionally walk a dangerous hitter with the bases empty. With a runner on first you can have your infield go to double-play depth, or you can watch that runner and see if the opportunity arises for a pickoff move. Either way, the next batter might well be easier to pitch to. Just remember, the leadoff batter’s purpose is to get on base any way he can, and if you can prevent that you have a good chance of a 1-2-3 inning. Whatever you do, stay away from his wheelhouse, his kitchen, his comfort zone, whatever you want to call it. DON’T give him anything good to hit!
There’s a story about Vic Raschi when he first came up to the Yankees near the tail end of the 1946 season; he started two games and won both of them. In one of those games he ran into trouble in the fourth inning, with two men on and a tough hitter at the plate. Raschi called time and stepped off the rubber, trying to figure out what to do next, when he heard a seemingly disembodied voice coming from somewhere near him. The voice said, “He can’t hit a high fast ball.” Raschi looked around, trying to figure out where the voice was coming from, but all he saw was one of the umpires hunched over behind the mound tying his shoelaces. Then he heard the voice again: “Yeah, you heard me right. He can’t hit a high fast ball.” This time there was no mistake; the ump was talking to him. Then the ump continued: “We Massachusetts boys have to stick together.” (Summers was from somewhere near Boston, and Raschi was from West Springfield on the other side of the state.) So Vic got back on the mound—went to that high fast ball—struck out the batter and got out of the inning without being scored on.
Q.E.D. :slight_smile: 8) :baseballpitcher:

Unrelated, but may I ask why you’re the “Goddess” of the slider Zita Carno?

Sure. I got that nickname pinned on me by a correspondent on the N.Y. Yankees website, which I used to frequent until the whole thing got so political I decided I wanted no more of that. It seemed that while I was commenting on some aspect of a particular game some yutz, who just wanted to make trouble, got on me, and then another guy went after him and told him in no uncertain terms “NEVER MESS WITH THE GODDESS OF THE SLIDER!” I said to myself, I can live with that—after all, the slider was my best pitch.
I was also known as “The Exterminator” to just about everyone in the league in which I pitched. I was warming up before a game, and our second baseman came rushing over and told me “Hey, guess what! You have a nickname!” When I asked him what it was, he told me that everyone else in the league was calling me “the Exterminator” because I was just killing them. :slight_smile: 8)

I don’t have time to read this whole thread, but what are your warm-up pitches like? Could this be a problem, are you one of those ones who just lobs it to his catcher to throw it down?

Am I even on the same page haha?

thanks for the help, yesterday i had no trouble with the leadoff guy and went 3 innings without giving up a run to help my team to victory