Old time pitchers endurance

how do you guys think it was that without all the fancy medical advancements and training programs and other things that are preached so much pitchers would pitch so much more than they do now, for example no one will ever ever ever come close to the wins record becuase pitchers just dont pitch that much anymore and even my high school pitching coach is about 65 and he was telling me that he used to pitch pretty much everyday and threw a double header once straight through lol
i think people baby their arms way to much now from the time of being a kid on, but if you decide to go against the conventional wisdom and “overuse” ur arm ppl will say that you throw too much.
do you think pitchers overall tolerance is diminishing as some sort of adaptation or did old pitchers feel the same way and just pitched through the pain???

‘Old’ Pitchers pitched through the pain and there was no such thing as a 5 man rotation. Plus Coaches, Managers, GM’s and Owners didn’t coddle Pitcher’s or any player for that matter like they do nowadays.

This topic is often debated but I’ve found such debates are usually based on assumptions about what happened in the past, overgeneralizations and inaccuracies, and incomplete consideration of all of the variables.

For example, when you say pitchers pitched a lot more in the past, is that really true or is that an assumption based on hearsay? If it is true, are you talking about pro pitchers or little Johnny down the street? Kids did not have so many avenues to play coordinated baseball in the past. These days, kids have lots of leagues to play in including Little League, Pony, Babe Ruth, Ripken, etc. And then there’s travel ball. Of course, the competetiveness has increased over the years - especially in travel ball. And kids are starting to play coordinated, competetive ball at earlier and earlier ages. On top of that many kids today play baseball year round instead of playing different sports throughout the year. So, it would be my guess that pitchers pitched less and stayed healthier at younger ages in the past than they do today. They weren’t worn out and used up by the time they were adults “back in the day” like they are today.

I think that in order to really draw any meaningful conclusions, you have to take into account ALL of the variables involved. Otherwise, comparing today to yesterday is comparing apples to oranges.

I also agree with the comment that pitchers probably pitched through pain more often in the past than they do today because (1) we have better knowledge of pitcher injuries and their ramifications, and (2) at the pro and even college level there is more of an investment with financial ramifications involved.

This is a not entirely accurate representation of the past vs today
The red line is the present
The black line is the old timers

Edit: This doesn’t necessarily take into account pitching through pain, pitching after injuries, or anything else I forgot. Use your imagination!

Another factor that most people dont realize is that most of the “old time” pitchers came from lives that revolved around work. I think it was Walter Johnson that had to work on the farm all day before being allowed to pitch (at one time I looked this up). But many of these guys were in great shape, comparable to any gym workout you find today. Lifting 90 pound bags of feed, or swinging a 20 pound sledge - those types of activities will make you extremely strong.

[size=18][color=red]Big Mac (Mark McGwire):

Height: 6’5" Weight: 250 lbs. Bats: Right Throws: Right
Bat: 34 ½", 33-33 ½ oz., Rawlings Big Stick
Training Method: Dedicated weight training, supervised by Dave McKay
Home Run Frequency: Career 10.63, Best Year - 7.27 (1998)[/color][/size]

[size=18][color=blue]
The Mick (Mickey Mantle):

Height: 5’11½" Weight: 195 lbs. Bats: Switch Throws: Right
Bat: 34½", 33-33½ oz., Hillerich & Bradsby*
Training Method: Smashing rocks with a sledge hammer all day as a “screen ape” at
the lead mines in Oklahoma, digging graves, farm chores, running for the fun of it

Home Run Frequency: Career - 15.12, Best Year - 9.52 (1961) [/color][/size]

Jimmy Foxx was a similar story to Mantle. Back on the farm he would haul huge 200 pound crates of nails around without letting it touch his chest. He was 12 years old.

I might try training like that over Christmas… :lol:

Fill a bucket with 75 lbs of weights and heft it onto and off of a table 75 times for both sides…

I’ll fill you in on the details