Oh the funk!

Two-seam death added to a very solid closer equals bad day/year in the west of the National League…scroll down and watch the action on this pig…OMG!!! Looks like a screwgie :shock:

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/blog/big_league_stew/post/Brian-Wilson-8217-s-8216-filthy-8217-fourth?urn=mlb-wp3780

Someone asked the other day if a curve is a necessary pitch…not if your gas looks like this… :wink:

wow…i would give anything to have movement like that…

To jdfromfla: HOLY COW!!!
Yalk about adding pitches to one’s repertoire…I remember how Ed Lopat used to do that. Every year he would add another pitch, or a variation of an existing one, to his rapidly burgeoning arsenal, and he used them all. For example, the “slip” pitch. And he would share a lot of that stuff with me, show me how to throw this and that. And then there was Joey Jay of the Cincinnati Reds; in 1961; he came up with a changeup screwball that he called a “slop slider” (something that Lopat used from time to time), and he had great success with it because the batters used to pop it up like so much Kleenex. Every year, or close to it, some pitcher would unveil a new wrinkle on a pitch he already had. And when pitchers do this and demonstrate effectiveness with it, bad news for the hitters.
I love reading about this sort of thing. 8) :slight_smile:

Goes to show how trading movement for a few MPH can help a pitcher out. I watch all the Giants games I can tell ya that Wilson seemed to flip a 180 once again this year having those easy 1.2.3 innings. Way too easy with that 94-95 2 seamer. Last year Wilson was gassin that 98 4 seamer, always getting into trouble, having those torturous innings.

Pitchers out there. MIX IT UP. Dont become predictable!

Man, that’s some dirty movement. Love B-Dub!

McCovey, you got it! As my incredible pitching coach used to say, move the ball around—high, low, inside, outside, and change speeds, and for Pete’s sake stay away from the middle of the plate! One thing I used to do when I was pitching—being a sidearmer, I was very, very familiar with the crossfire, and I used it a lot, and there were times when a batter might be looking for a particular pitch and would set himself for it, only to be fooled when I crossfired it. As you like to say, he wound up grabbing some pine. :slight_smile:

Watched the video . . . OMG . . . that’s the same movement of my 11U son’s two-seamer. Can’t believe it. :shock: