Off-season Workout

This is a continuation of the thread i started a couple of days ago. Here i will put what my actual workout will look like. I’d like to hear your thoughts on what is good, and what needs to be changed. Keep in mind i will be adding in sprint work and speed improvement work. This will probably be done on the upper body days. This is my hypertrophy phase. I will eventually begin lowering the reps to fit strength, and lastly even more for power.

Monday: lower
Tuesday: upper
Wed: off
Thur: lower
Fri: upper
Sat: off
Sun: off

Lower Body #1
squat- 4x8
superset w/ resistance band groin pulls 3x10

single leg RDL- 3x10
superset w/ ankle pulls 3x10

calf raises (weighted vest)

box jumps 3x6
forward leaps 3x10
one legged leaps 3x6

Upper Body #1
one arm DB press- 4x8
superset w/ wrist curls 3x12

barbell rows- 3x10
superset w/ wrist extensions 3x12

towel pullups- each set till failure

elbow circuit 2x10

ab circuit/blackburns w/scap work

Lower #2
Deadlift- 4x8
superset w/ resistance band groin pulls

lunges- 3x10
superset w/ ankle pulls

Med ball max vertical leaps 3x6
diagonal hops 3x10
one legged leaps 3x6

Upper #2
DB row- 4x8
superset w/ wrist curl

incline DB press- 3x10
superset w/ wrist extension

towel pullups- till failure

elbow circuit

good workout plan but make sure you workout one day rest the next etc if you workout two days in a row your muscles wont have time to grow before you put them under strain again. i had a friend who worked out everyday for 2 months and didnt gain a bit of muscle. i would work out every second day and on you off days do some running to keep loose and build endurance. :smiley:

If you look, one day is upper body, and the next is lower body. I never work two of the same muscle groups two days in a row.

[quote=“beaver26”]This is a continuation of the thread i started a couple of days ago. Here i will put what my actual workout will look like. I’d like to hear your thoughts on what is good, and what needs to be changed. Keep in mind i will be adding in sprint work and speed improvement work. This will probably be done on the upper body days. This is my hypertrophy phase. I will eventually begin lowering the reps to fit strength, and lastly even more for power.

Monday: lower
Tuesday: upper
Wed: off
Thur: lower
Fri: upper
Sat: off
Sun: off

Lower Body #1
squat- 4x8
superset w/ resistance band groin pulls 3x10

single leg RDL- 3x10
superset w/ ankle pulls 3x10

box jumps 3x6
forward leaps 3x10
one legged leaps 3x6

Upper Body #1
one arm DB press- 4x8
superset w/ wrist curls 3x12

barbell rows- 3x10
superset w/ wrist extensions 3x12

towel pullups- each set till failure

elbow circuit 2x10

Lower #2
Deadlift- 4x8
superset w/ resistance band groin pulls

lunges- 3x10
superset w/ ankle pulls

Med ball max vertical leaps 3x6
diagonal hops 3x10
one legged leaps 3x6

Upper #2
DB row- 4x8
superset w/ wrist curl

incline DB press- 3x10
superset w/ wrist extension

towel pullups- till failure

elbow circuit
ab circuit/blackburns w/scap work[/quote]

you don’t have much volume here, not sure what your goal is for this workout. It would be okay for maintenance from the looks of it. A couple things…

put plyometric work at the beginning of the session when your CNS is freshest. Focus on more sets of lower reps rather than few sets of higher reps with power work. 6x3 instead of 3x6 for example.

You barely have ANY pressing in your program. I’d suggest adding in feet elevated pushups as a superset to your towel pullups on upper body days.

You have low leg volume too but again I’m not 100% sure of your goals here. Pretty good start.

My goal in this program is basically to gain some size and weight. I’d like to gain 4-5 pounds in the month that i will be doing this. That will set me up for later when i start focusing more on strength and power versus size.

The only reason i wouldn’t put the plyos at the beginning is because it might affect my main lifts. But if you think it would be better there, i will make the change.

I should’ve realized that there wasn’t much pushing in my upper body work. I will add in the pushups.

What are some exercises i could add to the lower body? Should i add one more push and one more pulling exercise to both days?

Your splits look fine. I just posted the training inventory I use to write novice level programs in a post before this, but I’d suggest same thing plyo’s early in the session. Add 1-2 more single leg exercises, eliminate isolation exercises like barbell curl and add compound exercises like pull-ups and rows. Some pushing wouldn’t be bad either… but DB’s especially off-loaded or with 1-arm would be beneficial.

I am a huge fan of Joe Defranco’s West Side for Skinny Bastards III. It will get you bigger, faster, and stronger.

You can toy with it and add exercises to best fit your needs, but the template should stay about the same. As a pitcher, you will want to adjust the upper body days, as bench pressing with a barbell is not the best for your shoulder. I also add more core exercises on lower body days.

“COUGH, COUGH, COUGH”

Do a program called… STARTING STRENGTH.

I’ve been doing the workout outlined above, but added pistols and physioball leg curls to each lower body day. I added feet elevated pushups to be a superset with the pullups also.

just saying that workout already hits the crap out of your muscles, you should follow it to a tee if you want to see maximum results. Don’t add any thing to it. Other than maybe some core work.

Your legs get hit already with squats twice a week. so you won’t need pistols or any curls.

I added most of the stuff because i got the reply that there wasn’t enough volume, which i agreed with. The workout i am doing now (outlined above) takes about 40 minutes to get all the lifting in, so i don’t think there is too much volume.