Off-Season Workout and Nutrition Program

I’m 14 years old, and I am lloking for an off-season workout program. If it’s at all possible, could you find/design one that doesn’t require me going to the gym? I mean, find/design me an off-season workout program that doesn’t involve me going to the gym, something that I could do at home every day.

As for the nutrition program, just anything you’d recommend a 14 year old to eat, laid out neatly in a day-to-day basis, as well as the workout program laid out neatly in a day-to-day basis.

Thank you.

P.S. Currently I am saving up for a new laptop, otherwise I would get Tuffcuff. Once I buy a cheap laptop (which won’t be until about December), I’ll get Tuffcuff. Just so you know.

1 Like

I have a few bodyweight workouts posted in the strength megathread sticky. You can also throw “bodyweight workouts” on google or youtube and you’ll get a ton of results.

As far as using a detailed nutrition program at 14, I wouldn’t bother. Rather than trying to schedule what you eat, just try to adapt better habits and slowly work towards eating healthy. Don’t overcomplicate things at this stage.

I just posted this in another thread, but it’s relevant here as well:
http://www.johnberardi.com/articles/nutrition/7habits.htm

Read those rules and start putting them into practice. Like Berardi says, once you can follow those rules 90% of the time, then you can start looking into more complicated diets. Otherwise its just a waste of time.

Thanks, KC. Is there any specific bodyweight program better then the others? I’d like to do the most difficult bodyweight workout possible.

As for rule number six of John Berardi’s 7 Rules of Good Nutrition do you know of any non-calorie beverages other then water and green tea? I know water will always be available, but green tea won’t. Any substitutes/add-ons for that one?

http://www.thecompletepitcher.com/pitching_conditioning.htm

there are some good body weight stuff in there

[quote=“McCovey Cove”]http://www.thecompletepitcher.com/pitching_conditioning.htm

there are some good body weight stuff in there[/quote]
Some of the exercises I’m not familiar with. If I list them here, would some people answer them? Or would it be better to Google them?

List which exercises you need and I’ll try to find videos showing them.

Actually, my computer is kinda of messed up and won’t show any kind of video. Would you mind finding written explanations?

Sure, which exercises do you need explained?

Plank
Body Row
Pike Press
Hindu Squats
High Pulls with resistence band (Is there any kind of substitute for the resistence band?)
Bicycles
Russian twists with weight in your hands
Second plank holds
Supermans
Leg Lifts
Barbaccios
Russian Twists
Romanian Deadlifts

I’m sorry, I know it’s a lot of stuff, but I’m new to all of this. Also, what is a swiss ball and is there any substitute for one? Please take your time, and thank you very, very much!

Hindu squats are normal squats but you swing your arms from front to back. Say 8 o clock to 1 o clock counterclockwise if your profile was the clock.

Gotta talk to kc about the others, though.

Oh and I’m pretty sure supermans are when you lie flat on the ground and lift your arms, head, and chest and your legs up keeping the majority of your upper torso on the ground. Repeat this - up and down is one.

[quote=“MattG”]Plank
Body Row
Pike Press
Hindu Squats
High Pulls with resistence band (Is there any kind of substitute for the resistence band?)
Bicycles
Russian twists with weight in your hands
Second plank holds
Supermans
Leg Lifts
Barbaccios
Russian Twists
Romanian Deadlifts

I’m sorry, I know it’s a lot of stuff, but I’m new to all of this. Also, what is a swiss ball and is there any substitute for one? Please take your time, and thank you very, very much![/quote]
Plank

Pike Press is like a pushup, but you put your butt really high into the air so your body looks like a capital A (if that makes sense). The exercise shifts more of the weight to your shoulders rather than chest like pushups. You can also do pike presses with your feet elevated, which makes it very difficult.

Hindu squats are a special kind of bodyweight squat where you have your feet closer together and you bring your heel off the ground when you squat. It resembles a catcher squatting to give signs. You start with your hands at your sides and as you go down, your arms come together in front of you and when you stand, they should come back to your side.

A body row is hard to explain without a picture. Think of a pullup with a lower bar and your heels on the ground. You pull yourself up to the bar with your upper back muscles while keeping your body straight.

High pulls are just the kind of exercise. Normally you use a barbell and starting from the ground, you explode up to about chest level with the weight. If you dont have a resistance band (they are pretty cheap at Big5 or any sporting goods place) you can use a big log, a rock, a small child, a sandbag, whatever.

Bicycles are an ab exercise. You start on your back and you bring opposite elbow to opposite knee. They are called bicycles because you will be making a bicycle-type motion with your legs to continually bring your legs back and forth.

Russian twists (from Wikipedia) To perform the Russian Twist, first, one should lie down on the floor with knees bent like in a “sit-up” position. The feet should be kept together and slightly above the ground or put under a stable surface. The torso should be kept straight with the back is kept off the ground at a 45 degree angle. Arms should be held together away from the body in a straight fashion and hands are kept locked together like a ball or one can hold a weight to increase the difficulty. Next, the arms should be moved from one side to another in a twisting motion, with each swing to a side counting as one repetition.

Leg lifts - lie down. Keeping your butt on the ground, lift your legs so that your heels are 6-10 inches off the ground. Lift and hold for a count of 2, then put your legs back down. That’s one rep.

Barbaccios got cut from the program. Too hard on the shoulders. It’s a barbell exercise though, not bodyweight.

Romanian deadlifts are a variant of regular barbell deadlifts.

I think that was it. Let me know if you need more info.

I have a question, in the conditioning article on this site it mentions burpee’s…any idea what those are?

A burpee is where you jump as high in the air as possible with your arms pointing to the sky, and then when you land you land in pushup form and do one pushup. Repeat until prescribed number of reps/sets is done.

I found a couple more KC:

Deadlifts
DB Benchpress
DB Lunge
Front Squat
Bent Over Rows
One Arm DB Snatch
Full Cleans
Shoulder Press
Y Press
Knee Tucks (on Swiss Ball)
Skiers (on Swiss Ball)

Thanks again so much, KC! You’ve been a major help. Also, would it be possible if I used a medicine ball instead of a Swiss Ball?

Deadlift (from exrx): Preparation- With feet flat beneath bar, squat down and grasp bar with a shoulder width or slightly wider over hand or mixed grip.
Execution- Lift bar by extending hips and knees to full extension. Pull shoulders back at top of lift if rounded. Return and repeat.

DB Benchpress- same as regular benchpress, but using dumbbells. Lay back and press the weight up.

DB Lunges- Dumbbell in each hand, step forward like this:

Repeat with the other leg.

Front Squat- Same as a regular barbell squat, but you hold the weight in front across the shoulders in a clean grip (there are other grips, but the clean is the most common).

Bent over rows-

One arm dumbbell snatch- too much going on to explain through text.

Full cleans- Olympic lift, looks like

Shoulder press- dumbbell at shoulder height, press straight up.

Y Press- same as shoulder press but the weight goes out at an angle. You should look like you are doing the Y from the YMCA song.

Knee tucks on swiss ball - get in pushup position with your shins on a swiss ball. Bring your knees toward your chest, rolling the ball forward, using your abdominal muscles. Roll back to starting position.

Skiers on Swiss ball- Start in pushup position with shins on the ball, only this time knees bent. Turn your hips to the side so the swiss ball goes along the outer thigh. Turn your hips back to get to starting position. Now go the opposite direction. This works hip and shoulder separation.

A med ball is much smaller than a swiss ball, so no it wouldnt work. Swiss balls are generally 2 feet in diameter or larger.

Umm…kc if you right-click on the last and second to last image, copy the URL and put it in your browser you will see the gif file, but the image that shows up for me on LTP is…

Yeah…lol is this just my computer or anybody else’s?

Yeah, people dont like it when you hotlink. I just dont have the time to save and reupload each image to an online hosting site.

Pics aren’t working for me, either. How can we get around this??