Off-Season Training

My summer travel team season comes to a close at around the end of july. In November i start a training program at the University of Kentucky’s physical therapy that encorporates almost all of the exercises given in the Tuff Cuff manual (Functional Strength, Cardiovascular, Agility, Balance, Rotator Cuff, Scapular Stabilization, Core, and Plyometric). I am trying to put together a basic functional strength workout (Arm/Leg/Back) that takes me from early August to November (4-5 days a week) before i start the training at the physical therapy. I know that the Tuff Cuff manual provides you with specific functional strength exercises but I am having a hard time choosing which ones to do and which days of the week to do them. I would like to set this up so that i can workout my Arms/Legs/Back twice a week.

I would really appreciate the help.

Depending on pitching & playing volume - I would take some time after the season to recover & then start on a lifting program to build maximal strength.

During this general work phase - I would do low volume & higher weights -closer to 1RM. Before doing anything, I would determine my 1RM for squat, bench (either dumbbell or barbell), and deadlift. I would also see what my 3RM for pullups is & measure a standing long-jump.

After I got all this information - I would start - a rule of thumb that I was told was that a set would only count as a work set (as opposed to warm-up sets) if it was greater than 75% of the 1RM. Exercises I would do would be:

Before lifting I would do mobility work for ankles, hips, thoraic region of back, & shoulder.

Main Lifting Exercises I would do (I would mix & match these so as not to get too bored for my workouts). KEEP A LOG OF WHAT YOU DO!

1. Dumbbell Bench Press (either inclined or flat)
  2. Deadlift (sumo, hex-bar deadlift, rack pulls with snatch grip). Find someone with experience to show you the proper way to deadlift.
  3. Chest-supported Row or cable rows
  4. Pull-ups (neutral grip or neutral grip with a towel)
  5. Squats (front, back, and box)

Supplemental Exercises I would do (as sets between heavier exercises). I wouldn’t do much arm work

1. Lunges (dumbbell, barbell front, barbell back) or RDL
  2. Shoulder external rotation
  3. Ab roll-outs
  4. Mobility/Stabilization work
  5. Push ups (t-pushup, decline, flat, flat with bands or weight vest)
  6. Maybe light push-presses - but watch the shouders with these.
  7. Wood chops

Total workout time for any given weight lifting workout would be no more than 1 hour.

good summary by kidmullen