Off Season Training; Bulking

I am trying to gain a solid 20 lbs of muscle mass(and obviously some fat) by May 1st. At the moment I’m at 160. I am aiming for 2 lbs a week as a goal which would be 24 lbs by May…As lanky says aim high. As of Monday it was my second week, the first week I had gained 2 lbs getting used to eating that much was tricky but I had managed to get at least 3500-4000 calories a day for the first week(yes I was counting, but it’s not written down for me to share). I had noticed a small bit of weight added to my stomach and am having a hard time if this weight gain is going properly but I realized it’s only the first week so I waited. This last week I had a very similar diet, not much had changed but for some reason by Monday I had gained 4lbs. I didn’t feel much different but my stomach was again a bit larger, and I don’t feel as I’ve bulked much anywhere else but in my stomach. I’m just curious if 4lbs is too much to gain in one week, if that’s a sign I’m eating too much? Any help would be appreciated.

[quote=“CanadianBall51”]I am trying to gain a solid 20 lbs of muscle mass(and obviously some fat) by May 1st. At the moment I’m at 160. I am aiming for 2 lbs a week as a goal which would be 24 lbs by May…As lanky says aim high. As of Monday it was my second week, the first week I had gained 2 lbs getting used to eating that much was tricky but I had managed to get at least 3500-4000 calories a day for the first week(yes I was counting, but it’s not written down for me to share). I had noticed a small bit of weight added to my stomach and am having a hard time if this weight gain is going properly but I realized it’s only the first week so I waited. This last week I had a very similar diet, not much had changed but for some reason by Monday I had gained 4lbs. I didn’t feel much different but my stomach was again a bit larger, and I don’t feel as I’ve bulked much anywhere else but in my stomach. I’m just curious if 4lbs is too much to gain in one week, if that’s a sign I’m eating too much? Any help would be appreciated.[/quote]My question for you before we can tell you what it looks like is: What do your workouts look like? What are you eating each day?
For the next day at least, keep track of everything you eat and the amount that you eat. And yes, usually 4 lbs a week is too much, but also keep in mind that weight shifts a few lbs in either direction when you weigh yourself. Try to weigh yourself the same time everyday, and with nothing but a pair of shorts on to be accurate. When I was concerned about putting on weight constantly, I was trying to weigh myself every morning when I got up.

I figured I would get an answer similar to this so I’ve already started keeping track of what I’m eating daily which I will soon post. I weigh myself with nothing on, each morning because that’s when I get the best readings instead of after a whole day of eating or anything like that. I am still sitting a 166 today. My workouts consist of chest(mon), legs(wed), Back(Fri). I workout like so:

20 reps to failure
15 reps to failure
10 reps to failure

2 sets of 4 reps to failure

I then do 4 different exercises for each day.

Chest-Bench press, Incline bench press, Flys and the third is always different.

Legs-Knee extensions, Knee flexions, Leg press and calf raises. I know I should be doing squats but I have yet to find a comfortable way to do them. The bar pushes uncomfortably into my traps and feels like I’m hurting my traps for a week more so then actually getting a workout. I’ve tried using a towel, no such luck.

Back-Dumbell rows, Pullups, Deadlifts and forgot the name but you put the bar on the bench press rack and then do pullups.

Last year I tried 3 sets of 8 rep failure and noticed some results but felt like I had leftover energy not being used. I took the rep advice from a bodybuilder friend of mine with a bit of skepticism but thought I’d give it a try.

edit: Last year I just worked out for strength and didn’t actively try to gain weight or eat more. I just worked out and took protein shakes with bcaa, glutamine and some weight gainer. Creatine was added to my shake after workouts

Reps to failure will not build the explosive strength/power/speed-strength you need as a baseball player.

They also will not help you “bulk” up significantly more, especially if you aren’t pushing very heavy weights around and you’re not using steroids.

Focusing on sarcoplasmic hypertrophy (high reps, low weight, time under tension stuff) is almost entirely useless for people who aren’t very advanced lifters (in terms of recovery ability) and aren’t on steroids.

Push heavy weights around at lower reps for sets across.

I suggest reading Starting Strength: Basic Barbell Training for a good primer on what to do.

A review of Dan John’s new book on bulking up.

http://joshsgarage.typepad.com/articles/2011/01/how-you-can-gain-14lbs-of-muscle-in-six-weeks.html

Don’t know how appropriate it is for baseball.