Off Season To Pre-season Update

My 1st thread here was in early August as I was taking my son into off season with some goals to improve mechanics and increase overall athleticism, mobility, strength, etc…

At that time his physical stats:

14 years 7 months
6’1 165lbs
Rising Freshman
Cruising 79-80 fastball

Now:

15 years 2 weeks
6’1 182 lbs
30 days to 1st High School Tryout
Cruising TBD

In September and October he worked out with a personal trainer focused on hip mobility, overall biomechanical balance across all movements and general athleticism. This was 16 sessions over 8 weeks. During this same period he was working out with the baseball off season program at school 5 days per week on fielding, throwing and conditioning.

November and December the baseball off season program at school shifted focus to strength and weight gain through Olympic lifting.

One of our primary goals in improving his hip mobility was to allow him to land more closed and still get his hips through. Due to a lack of mobility and flexibility he was landing 20 degrees open which put additional torque on his arm.

Yesterday we were able to get his 1st bullpen session in since October. Here are a couple of clips. Any feedback, thoughts or comments are welcome.

Side View Real Time

Side View SloMo

Back View Real Time

Back View Slomo

Link to thread from August:

TXJIM

Your son is looking pretty solid. He shows good overall rhythm and tempo. What I noticed was his incorrect early momentum movement by pushing diagonally with the back leg to push the hip out. I find that many younger pitchers don’t understand how to lead with their hips the correct way. The whole purpose of leading with the hips is to create early momentum in the leg lift/load phase of the delivery.

When performed correctly, the momentum is used to assist a powerful back leg drive which is then converted to explosive rotational power. When pitchers stick their front hip out they are not really creating momentum at all. Leading with your hips the correct way means shifting your weight and getting your core moving towards home plate in your leg lift.

Notice the difference between the pictures below of the back drive leg of your son and the model pitcher. With most high velocity pitchers you can see how they use the entire back foot to generate ground force. They use that ground force to move their core down and out together. This allows momentum to build, leading to powerful back leg drive late in the stride phase.

Teaching him how to generate back foot ground force to create early momentum which will help sit into his delivery and help him move his entire core down the mound instead of sticking his hips out. Cleaning this up will create a more powerful force moving down the mound, generating more velocity.

LTP%20TXJIM Carson%20FulmerKimbrel%20Sitting%20In%20Delivery

Hope this helps
Steve

Steve,

Thanks for the feedback, these are the types of issues I am looking to understand better as we work to increase his velocity over the next couple of seasons. I have read a lot and watched a lot of video on drive leg, force vectors, etc but can’t honestly say I understand how to move from where he is now to where he needs to be. Below is SloMo video from the 1st base side that I feel shows his load movements the best. Can you tell me what you see there specifically? Should we be trying to get more angle between the drive leg shin and thigh in the load phase? Should he work to push more force through the heel of the drive leg foot in order to get this angle and resulting additional force? Is this something the chair drill will help? By chair drill I am referencing a drill where you sit on the edge of a chair in mid stride with the drive leg in flexion against the rubber and drive forward into pitch delivery.