Off Season Throwing

This section is looking pretty dead so I thought I’d pose a question. If you coach LL age pitchers (or have them living under your roof) how often, if at all, do you encourage them to pitch during the off-season?

With my own kids (9 & 11) I decided that not pitching at all risked losing whatever mechanics they have, and pitching too much risked injury and/or losing their interest, so we’re getting out once a week and warming up slowly then throwing 50-60 pitches. We’re not worrying about velocity at all, and letting location take care of itself, while focusing mainly on improving mechanics and making them consistant.

BTW - same approach to hitting. We’re making it to the local batting cage for just a few turns once a week.

[quote=“quaff”]This section is looking pretty dead so I thought I’d pose a question. If you coach LL age pitchers (or have them living under your roof) how often, if at all, do you encourage them to pitch during the off-season?

[/quote]

What I did:

Shut them down for a couple of months after the season, then throw long toss every day with a once a week short bull pen, working on form and function, not results. Let them just learn to throw properly and build muscle memory. 3-4 weeks before the start of the season (tryouts, in the case of LL) get them out and throwing from a mound a couple of times a week, extending the amount of pitches gradually to strengthen their arms, and then pitch simulated games once a week for the 2 weeks before the start of season. Don’t stop the long toss every day.

Always look at pitching as a process and not as a result. With the proper instruction these guys will do fine as they get older and pitch to ever more able batters. There’s no hurry to make them a LL world beater if it means sacrificing long term health and success.

Just my HO

Hose

And, of course, there’s always the weather to consider. If you live in a climate where the weather forecast calls for a foot of snow all the time, you do have to find an indoor venue so you can work without freezing your tush off!
When I lived in New York City, well, we didn’t get that foot of snow all the time, but it did get very cold, so I would find an indoor venue such as my high-school gym, and I would get a catcher, and I would work on this and that. There was always a two- or three-week stretch we used to refer to as “Indian Summer, Part 2”, mid-January, where the daytime temps would hit the mid-70s and I could go outside—we would find an unused playing field and I would work off the mound, sharpening up my control or working on a newly-acquired breaking pitch.
My pitching coach used to say “Throw every day”, and so I did, sometimes just five or ten minutes, other times the equivalent of a full nine-inning game, with the result that I never got a sore arm! :slight_smile: 8)

[quote=“quaff”]This section is looking pretty dead so I thought I’d pose a question. If you coach LL age pitchers (or have them living under your roof) how often, if at all, do you encourage them to pitch during the off-season?
[/quote]

Thought I would bring this thread back to to top as it’s time to move away from the Holiday sweets and start thinking about the upcoming spring season.

It’s too cold in the northeast to be outdoors throwing. I’ve been thinking about what conditioning workouts would be good for my 10 year old son to do to prepare for this spring. Long throwing in a gym is a good idea - if one is available. Any other suggestions?

It’s too cold anywhere right now, and there’s no indication this miserable weather is going to let up any time soon. Whatever pitchers do to maintain their conditioning during the winter, it’ll have to be done indoors. Florida weather, phooey!!! :x

Since Little League is the only opportunity around here, our “off season” is pretty long - about 9 months. For most kids it starts in late June. Those who play in All Stars get a few more weeks of playing time.

We kept playing catch though the summer and into the fall - about twice a week on average. Nothing too serious, just throwing the ball a bit and working on mechanics and consistency. From early November to the beginning of the year, we didn’t do anything. Since then, we’ve gone to the gym twice to throw indoors.

Basketball is going on now, but I hope we can throw indoors once a week for the next eight to 10 weeks for about 30 minutes.

Between the holidays, the rain and the cold, we’ve barely done a thing for the last month. Hopefully the weather will breaks oon and we can get out and see how much we’ve both lost :slight_smile:

My parents bought my son a 3 month membership at a local baseball training center for Christmas, so weve gone up there a few times, but mostly worked on hitting.

:bowdown: Our “training center” is the gymnasium in the old town school building. The room is 15 x 50. The floor is linoleum tile and the single basketball hoop hangs at 9’ because of the low ceiling. It’s that or the basement of our house!

:bowdown: Our “training center” is the gymnasium in the old town school building. The room is 15 x 50. The floor is linoleum tile and the single basketball hoop hangs at 9’ because of the low ceiling. It’s that or the basement of our house![/quote]

We just started using the local Rec Center basketball gym. It’s JH size and has high ceilings. Stretching, 15 min. of basketball, 15 min. of throwing and 15 min. of running/walking. We’re working on increasing the throwing and running to 30 min. Basketball and throwing he could do all day, but he’s wiped out after a tenth of a mile. :oops: