Nutrition

I currently weigh 175 lbs, I want to put on more muscle and burn a little bit of fat. I have around 13-14% body fat right now, which is decent for a college pitcher. Yet I have a problem. I’ve been keeping track of what I am eating each day and I notice that I consume from 150-225g of protein a day. Should I be concerned about this? I shoot for a 4,000 calorie a day diet with my workouts, I drink a gallon of water every day, etc. What would be the optimal levels of nutrition for me?

That’s about 25% of your total calories from protein … which is acceptable for this amount of caloric intake. Are you dividing these 4000 calories over 5-6 meals?

Mostly. Breakfast is usually the big meal of the day with almost 1500 calories, the rest, are around 800 calorie meals with snacks between 350-500 calories. On days I’m not doing lifting, I usually only hit 3800, days I lift, I end up hitting 4200 calories.

Assuming you are taking in an adequate number of calories, the recommended amount of protein for adults is about 0.8 grams of protein per kilogram of body weight. (1 kg = 2.2 lbs) This number changes for you, however, because you are an athlete. Because you place a greater demand on your body when training or performing, the requirement for protein increases. Research has shown that a general recommendation of 1.5-2.0 grams of protein per kilogram of body weight should ensure adequate protein intake for athletes.

So, let’s do a little math here:

175 lbs/2.2 = 79.5 kg (bodyweight or BW)

79.5 kg x 1.5 = 119 grams of protein/kg of BW (low end)
79.5 kg x 2.0 = 159 grams of protein/kg of BW (high end)

So, for your BW, you should be consuming between 119-159 grams of protein per day. Shooting for the lower end on non-training days, and the higher end on more intense training days.

If you shoot for 25-30 grams per meal, and look to have 5 meals a day, you should be right where you need to be.

Take this from somebody has gone from 180 to 205lbs since july of this year. At this stage in your training, you don’t need to overcomplicate ANYTHING.

I made this exact mistake early on in my training career. I was so worried about eating clean, macronutrient ratios, keeping a perfect eight-pack, etc. that I lost sight of what my real goal was. The goal is to GAIN WEIGHT. How do you gain weight? EAT!

What full windup posted may or may not be the “ideal” amount of protein for you, whatever that means. But focusing on these numbers will only hurt your progress. KEEP IT SIMPLE. Get in the habit of eating protein with every meal and the numbers will fall into place. Who cares if you’re getting 200 grams or 300 grams of protein per day? In my experience this
is not a significant difference for you achieving your goals (maybe it is for a competitive bodybuilder or figure athlete, maybe not, but the point is your goals are just to get bigger).

Focus on the actual number that will make a difference in your weight gain goals: calories.

I don’t know how tall you are, but at 175lbs if you’re 6 feet or taller, you probably want to aim for 5,000 calories a day.

This will mean 6-8 meals, 600-800 calories a meal.

Post what you ate yesterday or your typical diet and It will be obvious where you can fix things up to achieve your goals.

[quote=“LankyLefty”]Take this from somebody has gone from 180 to 205lbs since july of this year. At this stage in your training, you don’t need to overcomplicate ANYTHING.

I made this exact mistake early on in my training career. I was so worried about eating clean, macronutrient ratios, keeping a perfect eight-pack, etc. that I lost sight of what my real goal was. The goal is to GAIN WEIGHT. How do you gain weight? EAT!

What full windup posted may or may not be the “ideal” amount of protein for you, whatever that means. But focusing on these numbers will only hurt your progress. KEEP IT SIMPLE. Get in the habit of eating protein with every meal and the numbers will fall into place. Who cares if you’re getting 200 grams or 300 grams of protein per day? In my experience this
is not a significant difference for you achieving your goals (maybe it is for a competitive bodybuilder or figure athlete, maybe not, but the point is your goals are just to get bigger).

Focus on the actual number that will make a difference in your weight gain goals: calories.

I don’t know how tall you are, but at 175lbs if you’re 6 feet or taller, you probably want to aim for 5,000 calories a day.

This will mean 6-8 meals, 600-800 calories a meal.

Post what you ate yesterday or your typical diet and It will be obvious where you can fix things up to achieve your goals.[/quote]
My question is, why do I want to gain weight? I’m 6’, 175lbs, and doing just fine right now with my weight. In fact, I put on enough weight to where I didn’t get any faster. I mean it is all healthier weight, but my body isn’t accustomed to how much I’ve put on in the past month and a half, so why put on more? Why not stay where I currently am?

I do focus on calories, but subsequently end up getting a lot more protein than anything else. I’m just asking if there is a better way to go about my eating habits. I want to get quicker and more explosive. Quicker on the mound, and faster running since I’m an OF, plus I still need to get upper body strength on top of my shoulder re/prehab so I stay healthy all spring.

9-Dec-10
Breakfast
3 Egg Cheese Omlet
Bacon
Fresh Cantelope
Grapes
Pineapple
Yogurt
Chocolate Milk
Grape Juice
Greens+
Vitamin C

Morning Snack
Nature Valley Sweet And Salty Nut Peanut

Lunch
Chicken Breast
Spinach, Raw
Mixed Vegetables
Turkey Sandwich
Protein Shake
whole milk

Afternoon Snack
Nature Valley Oats 'N Honey
Banana
Nature Valley Oats 'N Honey

Dinner
Chicken Breast
Refried Beans
Spinach, Raw
Milk
Banana

Evening Snack
Apple

Before Bed
ZMA (3 capsules)

you’re skinny.

You have room to get a LOT stronger. The fastest and easiest way to do that is to get bigger. If you train the right way, you’re not going to get slower as you get bigger. Look at the build of NFL players…they’re huge and fast and explosive.

At 6’ 175lbs you could easily add 20lbs and be a quick explosive machine

Your three main meals look pretty solid, calorie-wise.

Your afternoon snack looks ok, your morning snack is light, but that’s probably ok for now.

You aren’t getting any calories before bed. Most people eat dinner from 6-8pm, so if you go to bed at 11-12 you should be able to fit in another meal right before going to sleep.

For me, a 700-800 calorie shake at this time is perfect and is usually enough to kickstart some serious weight gain for those who havent been doing this consistently already.

So along with your bedtime apple, find a weight gainer shake recipe that you like (700+ calories) and stick to it daily.

[quote=“LankyLefty”]you’re skinny.

You have room to get a LOT stronger. The fastest and easiest way to do that is to get bigger. If you train the right way, you’re not going to get slower as you get bigger. Look at the build of NFL players…they’re huge and fast and explosive.

At 6’ 175lbs you could easily add 20lbs and be a quick explosive machine

Your three main meals look pretty solid, calorie-wise.

Your afternoon snack looks ok, your morning snack is light, but that’s probably ok for now.

You aren’t getting any calories before bed. Most people eat dinner from 6-8pm, so if you go to bed at 11-12 you should be able to fit in another meal right before going to sleep.

For me, a 700-800 calorie shake at this time is perfect and is usually enough to kickstart some serious weight gain for those who havent been doing this consistently already.

So along with your bedtime apple, find a weight gainer shake recipe that you like (700+ calories) and stick to it daily.[/quote]
I just don’t want to be one of those guys that is at an unhealthy 195 versus a healthy 175. I feel that I am healthy right now, and I feel like I also eat like a horse. I eat more than most people I know and that is saying a lot.

My biggest concern right now is getting quickness instead of weight. I wouldn’t mind more weight, but I’m also worried that I’m going to create an imbalance.

My ZMA says on the back to take on an empty stomach, so what do I do? Take something before bed and hope for the best? Or do I continue to not have something before bed and have the ZMA?

Also know that I have no had any protein shake in a number of months. I’ve focused on eating everything in a natural way, and I know that if I eat properly, I will do better than a guy who does not but has a protein shake to boot. When I go back home, I am going to get a protein shake for sure. Do you know where I can check to see if a certain whey protein, casein, or other protein passes NCAA standards?

do you think that adding an additional meal per day will cause you to become “unhealthy?” if that meal is a protein shake?

What exactly do you mean by “unhealthy” 195 vs. “healthy” 175?

I would personally rather be 20lbs heavier, WAY stronger and more explosive and a couple body fat % points higher than be skinny with an 8-pack. Other than body fat your definition of “health” isn’t exactly clear to me.

I’m not advocating eating “unhealthy” but if you value eating perfectly clean over getting your calories in, you’re going to have a very hard time gaining mass. Again, I’ve been there. My high school trainer would tell me, if you’re hungry, a snicker’s bar is better than eating nothing. I thought he was full of crap at the time, but it’s true.

I poked around a little bit and found that ZMAs are “preferably” taken on an empty stomach. Maybe drink the shake 30 minutes before bed and take the ZMAs right before falling asleep. That way you’re not on a full stomach, at least. Your body will still be getting the zinc, magnesium and vitamin b6. I don’t really know much about the supplement but I’d guess that the empty stomach recommendation has to do with absorption rate and many people using it as a sleep aid. Maybe you could share your experiences with the supplement? I doubt it would render the product useless if you took it on a half full stomach.

[quote=“LankyLefty”]do you think that adding an additional meal per day will cause you to become “unhealthy?” if that meal is a protein shake?[/quote]I’m just saying that adding a protein shake before bed doesn’t allow your body to fully absorb the protein, and it typically just turns into stored fat which does absolutely nothing for you.

[quote=“LankyLefty”]What exactly do you mean by “unhealthy” 195 vs. “healthy” 175?[/quote]I’m almost at a healthy 175, because I’m cross training to be both a pitcher AND and outfielder. Outfielders, but nature, have a body fat % of 9-7% because carrying around any extra weight actually just means that you are slower. Right now, I am slower. I am by no means slow, but I’m not fast either. I want to be the fastest on the team

[quote=“LankyLefty”]I would personally rather be 20lbs heavier, WAY stronger and more explosive and a couple body fat % points higher than be skinny with an 8-pack. Other than body fat your definition of “health” isn’t exactly clear to me.[/quote]I would too, I’m not worried about an 8 pack, I’ve personally never had one. I’m more worried over that extra 20 lbs getting gained too quickly and me losing my flexibility. I’ve always stressed being the most flexible person ever, and I am always healthy. Besides my arm issues in the spring and fall which was from poor mechanics and an unstable scapula, I’ve been more healthy as a baseball player than any other guy I know. Losing that flexibility could have a big change on that, so I’d rather put on weight over time

[quote=“LankyLefty”]I’m not advocating eating “unhealthy” but if you value eating perfectly clean over getting your calories in, you’re going to have a very hard time gaining mass. Again, I’ve been there. My high school trainer would tell me, if you’re hungry, a snicker’s bar is better than eating nothing. I thought he was full of crap at the time, but it’s true.[/quote]I do eat healthy. I get a solid 4,000 calories of healthy eating in, without a protein shake. That is consistently every day. So what should my target caloric intake be then? Because I feel, if I add a protein shake everyday before bed, as well as after workouts, that will be another 1,000 calories and I know I will gain weight. This is just the biggest I have ever been. I was at 160 before college, 167 when we began lifting, and now 177. I’m afraid of getting to a point where I end up like one side of my family who has weight issues, versus the other side of the family who has always been very healthy with their weight.

Basically I started with this supplement 8 days ago. I’ve had a much better time with going to bed quicker, sleeping longer, and having deeper sleep. I feel great in the mornings. The only side effect is I remember my dreams. I can experiment with it, I’ve just been trying to follow what it says to do is all.

[quote=“CSOleson”][quote=“LankyLefty”]do you think that adding an additional meal per day will cause you to become “unhealthy?” if that meal is a protein shake?[/quote]I’m just saying that adding a protein shake before bed doesn’t allow your body to fully absorb the protein, and it typically just turns into stored fat which does absolutely nothing for you.

Anecdotally, I don’t think this is true. I don’t have any studies looking at food metabolism during sleep, but I can tell you from my experience I’ve been able to add weight and a very minimal amount of body fat.

[quote=“LankyLefty”]What exactly do you mean by “unhealthy” 195 vs. “healthy” 175?[/quote]I’m almost at a healthy 175, because I’m cross training to be both a pitcher AND and outfielder. Outfielders, but nature, have a body fat % of 9-7% because carrying around any extra weight actually just means that you are slower. Right now, I am slower. I am by no means slow, but I’m not fast either. I want to be the fastest on the team

We have a lot of guys who gained 15-20lbs this fall, while also taking time off their 60 yard dash and increasing their verticals by several inches. Size and speed are not mutually exclusive.

[quote=“LankyLefty”]I would personally rather be 20lbs heavier, WAY stronger and more explosive and a couple body fat % points higher than be skinny with an 8-pack. Other than body fat your definition of “health” isn’t exactly clear to me.[/quote]I would too, I’m not worried about an 8 pack, I’ve personally never had one. I’m more worried over that extra 20 lbs getting gained too quickly and me losing my flexibility. I’ve always stressed being the most flexible person ever, and I am always healthy. Besides my arm issues in the spring and fall which was from poor mechanics and an unstable scapula, I’ve been more healthy as a baseball player than any other guy I know. Losing that flexibility could have a big change on that, so I’d rather put on weight over time

Theres no reason you can’t continue to focus on flexibility as you gain size and weight. I see your concern, but it’s not like you will be gaining 5lbs overnight. You’d probably gain about 1lb a week over 4 training sessions (that 4 opportunities to work on flexibility and soft tissue work per week)
That 1lb will be distributed throughout your body, so by the time you actually have an appreciable amount of mass built up on any one part of your body you will have had months to be working on the flexibility of that muscle while making it stronger. Again, size and flexibility are not mutually exclusive.

[quote=“LankyLefty”]I’m not advocating eating “unhealthy” but if you value eating perfectly clean over getting your calories in, you’re going to have a very hard time gaining mass. Again, I’ve been there. My high school trainer would tell me, if you’re hungry, a snicker’s bar is better than eating nothing. I thought he was full of crap at the time, but it’s true.[/quote]I do eat healthy. I get a solid 4,000 calories of healthy eating in, without a protein shake. That is consistently every day. So what should my target caloric intake be then? Because I feel, if I add a protein shake everyday before bed, as well as after workouts, that will be another 1,000 calories and I know I will gain weight. This is just the biggest I have ever been. I was at 160 before college, 167 when we began lifting, and now 177. I’m afraid of getting to a point where I end up like one side of my family who has weight issues, versus the other side of the family who has always been very healthy with their weight.

If you are gaining the weight you are looking for, then 4,000 is enough for you. But if you still have 20lbs to go to reach your target weight (not that you have decided yet you actually want to be that big) and you’re only gaining .5lbs or less a week, this is just an easy suggestion to bump up calories and progress.

Basically I started with this supplement 8 days ago. I’ve had a much better time with going to bed quicker, sleeping longer, and having deeper sleep. I feel great in the mornings. The only side effect is I remember my dreams. I can experiment with it, I’ve just been trying to follow what it says to do is all.[/quote]

the product looks interesting. It’s also not crazy expensive. I’m gonna do a little more research on it. Let me know if you find out anything else about it.

What then is a cheap and effection way to add the pounds? aka which supplement, and does it follow NCAA regulations?

[quote=“LankyLefty”]We have a lot of guys who gained 15-20lbs this fall, while also taking time off their 60 yard dash and increasing their verticals by several inches. Size and speed are not mutually exclusive. [/quote]15-20 lbs? Is that healthy to put on that much weight? And when do I know I should stop gaining weight then? Like when the practices start should I lay off?

[quote=“LankyLefty”]Theres no reason you can’t continue to focus on flexibility as you gain size and weight. I see your concern, but it’s not like you will be gaining 5lbs overnight. You’d probably gain about 1lb a week over 4 training sessions (that 4 opportunities to work on flexibility and soft tissue work per week)
That 1lb will be distributed throughout your body, so by the time you actually have an appreciable amount of mass built up on any one part of your body you will have had months to be working on the flexibility of that muscle while making it stronger. Again, size and flexibility are not mutually exclusive.
[/quote]
Ok

So in essence, I need to set my caloric intake to about 5,000 calories and seriously consider putting on more weight? I know for sure I don’t mind being 175, maybe even 185. So should I set my goal to get to 185 first, then re-evaluate when I reach this?

I just know that my S&C coach has said that the body of an athlete is in constant deprivation of Zinc, Magnesium, and Vitamin B6. So what better way then to supplement it in the system as it helps you sleep and recover. I know it also boosts natural testosterone strength. If you would like the link to the exact brand I am taking, I can provide that.

It doesn’t necessarily need to be a supplement, although if you’re going to make a weight gainer shake, protein powder is usually included.

http://www.gainingweight.info/20-weight-gain-shake-recipes/

http://www.sherdog.net/forums/f15/good-faq-ncaa-banned-substances-answers-why-muscle-milk-banned-686353/

The shake I make is cheap and easy.

Blend
1 cup whole milk
2tbsp peanut butter
2 tbsp olive oil
1 scoop whey protein powder
cinnamon to taste.
sometimes unsweetened cocoa powder as well.

It doesn’t taste half bad! And it’ll get you over 700 calories in the 30 seconds it takes to drink. If you don’t like the taste, there are plenty of alternate recipes out there.

How much weight to gain? Coaches and scouts can kind of tell when a player has “filled out” their body or come close to “maxing out” their strength levels. It’s not a precise science, but I would say if you’re 6’2"-6’4" then 210lbs is probably a good goal to start with. At 6 feet, maybe 190-200lbs. You will probably have to do some experimenting to find the right balance for you. Start with 185lbs and go from there. I don’t know how tall you are either.

If you are already near your strength and velocity goals, there probably doesn’t need to be as much emphasis on getting huge, but if you have a ways to go, it could be that piece of the puzzle that kickstarts huge performance increases.

[quote=“LankyLefty”]It doesn’t necessarily need to be a supplement, although if you’re going to make a weight gainer shake, protein powder is usually included.

http://www.*****/20-weight-gain-shake-recipes/

http://www.sherdog.net/forums/f15/good-faq-ncaa-banned-substances-answers-why-muscle-milk-banned-686353/
[/quote]I used to take protein shakes before, but I stopped once I heard about the NCAA ban, I’d rather try and stay all natural than risk getting something that won’t allow me to pass NCAA regs

[quote=“LankyLefty”]The shake I make is cheap and easy.

Blend
1 cup whole milk
2tbsp peanut butter
2 tbsp olive oil
1 scoop whey protein powder
cinnamon to taste.
sometimes unsweetened cocoa powder as well.

It doesn’t taste half bad! And it’ll get you over 700 calories in the 30 seconds it takes to drink. If you don’t like the taste, there are plenty of alternate recipes out there.[/quote]
I’ll take a look to see what I can find. Either that or I’ll continue on my regular eating regimen, and work to hit more calories.

[quote=“LankyLefty”]How much weight to gain? Coaches and scouts can kind of tell when a player has “filled out” their body or come close to “maxing out” their strength levels. It’s not a precise science, but I would say if you’re 6’2"-6’4" then 210lbs is probably a good goal to start with. At 6 feet, maybe 190-200lbs. You will probably have to do some experimenting to find the right balance for you. Start with 185lbs and go from there. I don’t know how tall you are either.[/quote]I’m exactly 6’, I’ll try to have hit 185 by the end of break. That’s a little less than 2 lbs a week, but I’ll work hard to hit it.

I’m far from my strength and velocity goals. I had my arm issues in the spring and a few in the beginning of the fall, but they have subsided. I’m average in every category. I want to be GREAT in every category. I would like, by my junior year, to be the fastest and strongest on the team, with great fastball control and speed as well as a change-up and curve speed and control (15 mph difference for both).

My pitching log can actually be found here
http://www.letstalkpitching.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=14433
I just did not want to clutter it with questions about other topics.

Basic whey protein won’t get you caught by the NCAA. I suggest Sun Warrior Protein, it is all natural vegan protein. Really good stuff.

I am just saying I would rather stay all natural, without loading my diet with any protein source. If I go with a protein source, I will email my S&C coach to make sure it all passes NCAA regs

Me and Lanky play(ed) disvison 1 baseball, I’ve been tested over 10 times in my career, the protein I suggested is 'natural" and there is nothing synthetic about it.

I like you said you want to stay ‘natural’, do you understand protein is an essential building block in the human body? Your muscles are made of protein and denying them extra supplementation will only slow your progress.

[quote=“huskie18”]Me and Lanky play(ed) disvison 1 baseball, I’ve been tested over 10 times in my career, the protein I suggested is 'natural" and there is nothing synthetic about it.

I like you said you want to stay ‘natural’, do you understand protein is an essential building block in the human body? Your muscles are made of protein and denying them extra supplementation will only slow your progress.[/quote]
I do, and I think I explained myself poorly. I’ve been doing well with my protein intake without a supplement, I eat about 200g of protein per day in my regular diet, aka ‘all natural’. If I try and stick with this particular protein I will not be able to afford it. $50 every 47 days is quite a bit for me, beings that I barely make any money here in college. I know cheapest is not best, but I’m just pointing out the obvious dilemma here.

Props on getting 200g from real food. Thats tough. I prolly get around 80-100 from food and another 60-80 from shakes.

Thanks man. I am able to track what I eat using MyPlate and it works out well enough. It will never be 100% accurate, but it is still pretty close.