Nutrition

Do you believe, good nutrition can lead to better arm health?

[size=24]YES![/size]

The arm depends on a strong and stable Shoulder Platform. The shoulders depend on a strong and stable Upper Torso Platform. The upper torso depends on a strong and stable Lower Torso Platform. The lower torso depends on a strong and stable Hip’s Platform. The hips’ depend on a strong and stable Leg’s Platform.

All of these platforms must receive quality exericse, tailered to that specific muscle group (platform) so that progressive support can be passed on to the next muscle group (platform) that’s next in line.

All of this depends on nurishment, considering age and any specific health issues that ride along. Athletes who are on a vegatarian diet, dieabitics, hyperactive players, and others with special needs are very challenging in this regard.

I know this response may seem very general, but did I answer your question?

Coach B.

This is the only part I don’t understand

I am going to qualify my response to your question by first saying that I am a pitching coach (retired) not a dietitian or a nutritionist. My knowledge on the subject of nutrition for the vegetarian, diabetic, and the hyperactive is limited to courses that I’ve taken on the subject, purely from a coaching standpoint of curiosity - not a sincere professional interest of dealing with a pitcher so inclined. In fact, I wouldn’t. Not unless directed to do so with a heck of a lot more skills and a supporting cast right there with me.

So here goes.

A vegetarian is a person that elects a certain life style - no just omitting meat from the table. I’ve known some coaches that were vegetarians, but they also included eggs, milk and other stuff, just not solid meat. They also centered their intake on absorbing protein levels from food that took the place of solid meat in their diet. ( no fun to be around when trying to enjoy a Italian sausage grinder, onions, mushrooms and a cold one.) Why the interest in protein? Protein gives energy to the body - along with helping the necessary process in the building blocks of life. Important stuff for athletes to be sure, not to mention growing youngsters. Meat products are the standard for most of us in our diet for providing that ingredient - protein.

Athletes with diabetes have to be concerned with the daily counting of how many calories and carbohydrates they need to control their sugar in the blood - at a proper amount. ( Don’t press me beyond this statement because I’m actually reading from my coaching notes that I’ve had from eight years ago.) I do remember a scary moment one night on a long bus ride - our equipment guy had fallen asleep and woke up needing something to eat, plus his insulin ASAP. Again, reading from my coaching notes - there are different forms of diabetes, each requiring selective treatment. However, no where can I find any objection to diabetics playing sports - pitching included. I wish I could expand on this for you but I can’t. I haven’t coached a diabetic player.

Hyperactive on the other hand - I can’t give claim to actually coaching a clinically certified hyperactive pitchers - but I’ll say most of the pitchers that I’ve coached seem to be that way. (That last sentence was more sarcastic than reasonable.) Certain ingredients introduced into food can be a stimuli for adding to the hyperactivity for some youngsters. And yet, even the simplest things like high sugar and caffeine intake can have a youngster bouncing off the walls one minute, then crashing the next with low activity and attention levels. Sometimes medication can be a good thing for these people - other times not. All in all though, suppressed appetite, irregular eating habits and a host of other ailments do nothing to promote reasonable diet management, stable growth development and acceptable social behavior in some cases.

I wish I had a better explanation for you, but the foregoing was the best I could do.

Coach B.

Well you cant be a slug and expect to make the team, but proper nutrition cant possibly hurt.