Nutrition Questions, Please Help!

hey everybody, i have a couple questions about the nutrition of foods. i just started the tuffcuff program phase 1 week 5, and im curious about what foods i should eat. im 155lbs 5’ 7" and im trying to burn fat while also putting on muscle (if thats posssible)

1. egg yolks - are these okay to eat, or should i go strictly egg whites?

2. peanut butter - is this a good snack before or after working out?

3. cold cuts (turkey/ham/chicken) - am i getting any nutrition from these?

4. chocoloate milk - anybody drink this after your workout?

ALL HELP IS GREATLY APPRECIATED :smiley:

Are you taking in any protein at all after workouts?

Lifting weights causes muscular breakdown (assuming you are overloading the muscle—which is the ONLY way to create the overload response that makes us stronger). You are literally causing microscopic tears in the fibers (hence the soreness). Your body attempts to rebuild these tears (injuries, really) by filling them with amino acids. The only source of essential amino acids is protein broken down from the foods & supplements we ingest.
It is CRITICAL that ANY person lifting weights replenish their bodies with amino acids immediately after lifting. You have a 30-minute window after resistance excercise that is the most critical nutritional time of the entire day…………….even moreso then waking up (which is also critical and often overlooked). Liquid aminos or liquid protein (protein shake) are the preferred method due to their ready availability to enter the bloodstream rapidly.
A steak, for example, has to be digested before the protein can be broken down & amino acids extracted to enter the bloodstream.
Additionally, whey protein is better then egg protein (as an example) because it digests at a MUCH faster rate.

By FAILING to replenish this, your body is forced to leech the amino acids it need to heal the injuries from other protein sources—your muscles.

i see. so what would you recommend before and after workouts then?

http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/opt/cas.html

^^ That for when you wake up and before you go to bed

^^ Before and immediately after workout

i dont think i can afford those, what are some food alternatives?

I mean you don’t have to get the most expensive ones there. Like if you got a 2lb of both things it would only be about $50.

How much will each 2lb container last? i mean im only working out 3 days a week, and im not lifting to get jacked. so there must be other foods to use in its place

[quote=“Chain Drive”]hey everybody, i have a couple questions about the nutrition of foods. i just started the tuffcuff program phase 1 week 5, and im curious about what foods i should eat. im 155lbs 5’ 7" and im trying to burn fat while also putting on muscle (if thats posssible)

1. egg yolks - are these okay to eat, or should i go strictly egg whites?

2. peanut butter - is this a good snack before or after working out?

3. cold cuts (turkey/ham/chicken) - am i getting any nutrition from these?

4. chocoloate milk - anybody drink this after your workout?

ALL HELP IS GREATLY APPRECIATED :D[/quote]

Sometimes pitchers fall into the trap of “dieting” while trying to gain muscle. You can’t do both. Lean muscle mass comes from eating more while working out so your body had nutrients to help build and recover from the training sessions.

Egg yokes have too much fat. Peanut butter is only OK if it’s all-natural, otherwise it’s got hydro fat and too much sugar – and if you’re eating it on white bread as opposed to whole wheat, you’re just adding starch (empty calories) which turns to sugar in the body with no additional benefit. Cold cuts are OK, but they tend to have a lot of salt (again, again, you gotta watch what bread you’re eating). And chocolate milk is probably too sugary.

Can you get a tub of protein and mix a protein shake twice a day? One between breakfast and lunch and one 30 minutes following your workout?

2 scoops of whey protein
2 cups skim milk
1 cup frozen berries (strawberries, blueberries, etc.)
1 banana (in the morning shake)

That’s a more nutritious option, in my opinion.

Also, you should be eating 6 smaller meals a day, spaced out every 2-3 hours as opposed to 3 main meals, like most traditional Americans eat. You should also be eating LOTS of veggies, such as yams, asparagus, carrots, tomatoes, dark green lettuce (not iceberg), peppers, squashes, etc. Have an orange, banana and apple daily, too, and all your nutrient needs will be covered from whole foods, which is key!

Good luck!

thankyou so much for the reply. im curious though, will gaining lean muscle take off some fat? and as for that protein shake, do i only drink those on days i workout? or do i drink it every morning, and then only twice when im working out?

Yes, b/c muscle burns more calories … so you need more to feed them, but you burn more b/c of them. It works in tandem.

You have to get 6 meals a day. Seriously … you must eat 6 meals a day or 1 every 2-3 hours. For most people, that’s tough. So I recommend having a protein shake twice a day and eating 4 other meals. That’s 6. If you want to just have your protein on the days you’re working out, that’s fine, too, but you’ll need to add some other foods to fulful your requirement such as Clif bars, protein bars, sandwiches, chicken/rice, etc., etc. Most people just find the protein shakes easier to consume, digest and take.

besides breakfast, lunch, and dinner, how much food would you say it takes to make up a “meal.” and just a quick question about the whey protein, ive never used the stuff before. if you have a 2lb container, how long will it last you if you have 2 shakes each day? and is 1% milk okay to use in it if that all i have access to?

Yes, 1% is fine. You meals should be comprised of 500 cals or so. Think 6-in sub and chips at Subway…

thank a lot steven, your a HUGE help

i don’t know if it works with everyone, but after i pitch, i drink chocolate milk, and the next day i don’t feel any soreness. it might just be me, i’m not too sure. I don’t ice either, but i know i should.

Steven Ellis wrote.[quote]2 scoops of whey protein
2 cups skim milk
1 cup frozen berries (strawberries, blueberries, etc.)
1 banana (in the morning shake) [/quote]

I have a question. In the whey protein im getting, its 24 grams of protein a scoop! So would I still have two?[/b]

Could we have some info?

Height. Weight. Age.

I personally drink my protein while Im working out. Then stick to Casein sources (cottage cheese and salsa is my favorite) for night time. Then fill my meals with meats like fish and chicken/turkey. Make sure you eat fiber with your protein so your body can make more of what it is ingesting. Some people recommend sugar with protein but I think there is enough in milk to provide what you need for fast absorbtion.