Nutrition for a high schooler

So i’m a 17 year old in my junior year of high school. i work out with the school pitching coach monday wednesday friday and am about to start up my offseason hitting which is usually pretty strenuous as i tend to get in a whole lot of swings. my problem is i live in a family of zero athletes where nutrition is looked upon as finish your dinner, and you should want seconds. the basic three meals a day, cereal and milk for breakfast type diet. but with the upcoming season on its way, i really want to figure out my diet to bring me to the next level for the oh so important junior year season. if anyone could give me some tips or a plan it would be appreciated. keep in mind i’m a full time student but i could pack my own lunch from now on if thats whats needed. the school serves a collection of pastas or grinders with options of several kinds of sandwiches, chicken patties the usual. with pizza and a salad choice each day topped with breaded chicken. any help would be appreciated

what are your goals? how much research have you done on what it’s going to take to achieve those goals?

well i’m about six feet and 195 pounds. i’ve battled weight for a while but i’m actually not fat at all now. i play point guard on the school team so i don’t think a fat kid could really do that. haha. but i’m certainly not looking to gain weight. as i do have fat on me. i’d say i’m between 16-20% body fat which i calculated in school pfit class. so a diet that would allow me to transfer some of that extra fat into muscle. i’m looking to get into the best shape of my life this winter and also maybe get 5 pounds of unneeded fat off of my knees. haha. i hope that explains something

You should probably be looking to gain about 15lbs of lean mass. Lose about 10lbs of fat in the process and eventually you should be up to a lean 200lbs, which is a pretty good size at 6 feet tall.

Start eating both more frequently and cleaner. If you’re eating 3 times a day right now, start eating 5-6 times a day. Completely eliminate the stuff that you know is complete crap, like most fast foods, milkshakes, candy, soda, etc. If you want to eat complete crap one meal a week, go for it, but you can’t make that your habit.

If your cafeteria doesn’t have anything remotely healthy, you may need to start packing lunch.

Write down roughly what your diet looks like right now (time of day and portion sizes too). You need some routine/regularity to get consistent results. If you’re constantly all over the place with your diet you are going to struggle to make progress.

allright. average school day

breakfast-cheerios or raisin bran, nature valley sweet and salty bar, milk, vitamin c and multi vitamin, or i might see some leftover pizza or cake or cookies or something once in awhile after a pot luck or something that my parents go to.

Lunch- turkey grinder 8 inches or so with lettuce and pickles with mayo. wheat bread. might get french fries as i struggle to stop myself because i’m so hungry that time of day. i have that with a skim milk that you can get i think its 12 ounces or so. after lunch i get a snack at the snack bar for the last class of the day. usually a cheese stick with a soymilk but sometimes i get yogurt with reeses pieces in it.

dinner- mom usually makes something very healthy as she is a fantastic cook in that regard. usually some skinless boneless chicken breast with some sort of grilled vegetables and maybe some potatoes or squash. then theres usually some bread to go along with it.

late night- usually find it hard not to snack. might eat a sweet and salty bar, a chocolate candy, or cookie or something, or both, or anything else i can find, apples, clementines, peanut butter sandwiches. and i also snack alot during the day on similar things. thats the usual day i think. i don’t pay much attention to the portion sizes usually but thats what i can give you.

[quote=“vtpitch21”]allright. average school day

breakfast-cheerios or raisin bran, nature valley sweet and salty bar, milk, vitamin c and multi vitamin, or i might see some leftover pizza or cake or cookies or something once in awhile after a pot luck or something that my parents go to.

Lunch- turkey grinder 8 inches or so with lettuce and pickles with mayo. wheat bread. might get french fries as i struggle to stop myself because i’m so hungry that time of day. i have that with a skim milk that you can get i think its 12 ounces or so. after lunch i get a snack at the snack bar for the last class of the day. usually a cheese stick with a soymilk but sometimes i get yogurt with reeses pieces in it.

dinner- mom usually makes something very healthy as she is a fantastic cook in that regard. usually some skinless boneless chicken breast with some sort of grilled vegetables and maybe some potatoes or squash. then theres usually some bread to go along with it.

late night- usually find it hard not to snack. might eat a sweet and salty bar, a chocolate candy, or cookie or something, or both, or anything else i can find, apples, clementines, peanut butter sandwiches. and i also snack alot during the day on similar things. thats the usual day i think. i don’t pay much attention to the portion sizes usually but thats what i can give you.[/quote]

you need to be having a much bigger breakfast, this is partly why you’re always hungry later in the day. Eggs are good, toast with peanut butter is also a good option.

If you are trying to get leaner just change your snacking habits, especially late night. Don’t eat the chocolate or cookies unless you actually have nothing else. A few handfuls of nuts are a much better option.

Also your post-workout meal is arguably the most important of the day. You should have a high calories, high protein high carb shake right after lifting to maximize recovery.

What are the best things to put in that shake after a workout? and yes i’m cutting the empty sugars and fats right out. ive heard you should have a big breakfast before. i’ll try that. i think i need to change my sleeping schedule so i have more time in the morning to eat a better breakfast and prepare a good lunch. thanks for all your help

it’s not as simple as just cutting sugars and fats. You need both of these in your diet, just in healthier forms, not from processed foods like cookies, soda, etc. Nuts are very high in good fats, for example.

Post-workout you should be getting a lot of carbs and a moderate amount of protein. Most post-workout supplements use maltodextrin for the carb and whey protein for the protein, in anywhere from a 2:1 to a 4:1 carb to protein ratio.

So you can either

1. buy a post workout powder
    cons: a little more expensive usually
    pros: usually tastes pretty good

or

1. make your own from maltodextrin and whey protein
    cons: doesn’t always mix super well - need blender or blender bottle
    pros: can usually save you some $$ buying the two main ingredients separately in bulk

I’ve done both and they are both viable options for post workout nutrition.

if all else fails chocolate milk is not a horrible option either, but the above options are preferable.

quick,big time breakfast, a muscle milk shake in a blender and 4-5 hard boiled eggs you cap put in a plastic cup and eat on the way to school. the chicken patties without all the bread is good for school lunch, go to chipotle every chance you get, you can eat whatever you want off the menueand it is between 1200-1500 cals of good protein. add an additional musclemilk shake at night instead of your snack stuff.

say goodbye to candy and soda, develop a taste for protein shakes to replace. ice cream once or twice a week is not going to hurt you.

the basketball should keep the weight off. if you’re gaining, back off the calories. it’s simple just not easy.