Nutrition, Diet and Exercise Help

Hey everyone :slight_smile:

OK, as some of you know, I’m from South Africa. I’m 17 years old, 18 in June, just a little over 6ft and I weigh 57.7 kg (126.9 lbs). I’ve been playing baseball for about 3 months now. I finished school last year October, so right now I have quite a bit of free time to concentrate on baseball.

I do not have access to a gym, so I can’t do heavy lifting. On the plus side, I’m allowed customize my meals to suite my baseball (so I’m allowed to get things my parents wouldn’t normally eat if that makes sense) If my parents are eating something I shouldn’t then I would have something else that I would make for myself instead.

I think I need to put on some more weight do you guys/gals agree?

During meals how much should I be taking in like carbs and such everyday, along with which meals I should be taking in said carbs etc? If it’s as close to accurate as it can be that would be great!

What I eat each day (I’m not allergic to any foods and I love fruit):

Breakfast: Otees/Cheerios, 2 slices of toast with jam
snack: fruit (whatever there is in the fruit bowl)
Lunch: It varies from time to time, but it’s mostly sandwiches like cheese and tomato with some more fruit
snack: fruit (whatever there is in the fruit bowl) Sometimes I make myself a fruit mix in the blender.
Dinner: Depends on what’s being made.

I drink about 2 liters of water a day, more on training days (Tuesday and Thursday) and match day (Saturday) Occasionally I drink Tea as well.

Can anyone suggest things like, nuts and different types of fruit/veggies i should be eating everyday?

I’ve been wondering, I’ve never used protein shakes or anything related to that, is it worth using?

Everyday I stretch then do some light toss, on training days for my club we do various exercises like lunges etc. We do infield and outfield training every Tuesday and Live batting/Cage batting on Thursday’s. The pitchers throw on Thursdays instead of batting.

What should I do, personally, everyday, for example: Push-ups, Sit-ups and so on. I have a resistance band that I use for exercising my arms everyday.

We have a treadmill that I use to run (although very rarely nowadays :/) should I get back to running and if so should it be long or short distances, maybe even both?

If there is anything else I need to list or explain, let me know :slight_smile:

Thanks
Josh.

Hey bodybuilding.com then go to “supersite” TONS of articles with new ones all the time. Everything from lifting exersizes, nutrition, workouts, supplements, transformations, etc. Its my bible, go ahead and get reading!

you aren’t a bodybuilder, but there is certainly good information on that site and all over the internet. At 6 feet, 130lbs you have a long ways to go before you “fill out” (about 60-70lbs).

To start, I would begin tracking your calories. You should aim for about 4,000 calories a day instead of the 2,000 you’re getting. If you don’t have access to a gym and theres ANY way you can afford access, then do it. You should be lifting 3-4 times a week and focusing on compound lifts.

West Side for Skinny Bastards III is a good place to start. If you have no idea what I’m talking about you have some reading and research to do.

Start by increasing the volume of your meals and choosing calorically dense foods. Snacks should not be a 50 calorie apple. They can include fruit but should be 500+ calories especially if you are trying to gain weight. An apple and a bagel covered in peanut butter is a decent choice, for example for a snack.

Protein Powder is a good idea to squeeze an extra 700+ calories a day. Either buy a pre-made mass gainer powder or find a protein shake recipe that will get you above the 700 calorie mark. Drink that after your workouts AND every day as a post-dinner meal shortly before you go to bed.

You need to be lifting heavy though or all these extra calories are going to go to waste. You can do some stuff with bodyweight but you have to be a lot more creative to get the results you’re looking for. You honestly just need a squat rack with plenty of weights, heavy dumbbells and a pullup bar and you’ll be fine.

lol i still remember this lanky lefty guy.

Anyways please JOSH, do not listen to this guy. if you want personal experience i can help.

I was 5’10 160lbs in august and packed on 25lbs of lean muscle and 5lbs of fat.

Anyways first off:

Do not take in 4,000 calories a day. I am pretty sure lanky lefty calculated your daily maintence calorie intake which is probaly 2,000. Basically it means your maintence of your body weight.

If you are to pack on muscle you must eat 500 calories over your maintence level. Thus you should be eating 2,500 calories a day. 4,000 is stupid and all you will do is screw your body up and gain unextra fat.

If you eat 500 calories over your maintence(2500calores/day)

Then you will pack on 1lb of muscle a week. Doesn’t seem like much. But in 3 months thats 12lbs which is alot. You are a newb to lifting, i am guessing. So you can gain up to 25-30lbs in a year if you do it right

You don’t need supplements or anytime of vitamins. But for a post workout shake i would recommend at least 500ml of milk to recover your muscles and maybe a carb, like a banana.

But ya take in 2,500 calories and not 4,000.

I am 190lbs and i only take in 3,500. Because my maientence is 3,000.

[quote=“fireball999”]lol i still remember this lanky lefty guy.

Anyways please JOSH, do not listen to this guy. if you want personal experience i can help.

I was 5’10 160lbs in august and packed on 25lbs of lean muscle and 5lbs of fat.

Anyways first off:

Do not take in 4,000 calories a day. I am pretty sure lanky lefty calculated your daily maintence calorie intake which is probaly 2,000. Basically it means your maintence of your body weight.

If you are to pack on muscle you must eat 500 calories over your maintence level. Thus you should be eating 2,500 calories a day. 4,000 is stupid as fuk and all you will do is screw your body up and gain unextra fat.

If you eat 500 calories over your maintence(2500calores/day)

Then you will pack on 1lb of muscle a week. Doesn’t seem like much. But in 3 months thats 12lbs which is alot. You are a newb to lifting, i am guessing. So you can gain up to 25-30lbs in a year if you do it right

You don’t need supplements or anytime of vitamins. But for a post workout shake i would recommend at least 500ml of milk to recover your muscles and maybe a carb, like a banana.

But ya take in 2,500 calories and not 4,000.

I am 190lbs and i only take in 3,500. Because my maientence is 3,000.[/quote]

It depends how fast you want to add the weight. If you take in 3,500+ calories you will get to your goal weight much faster and add 1-2 lbs a week. If you take in only 500 calories more than your maintenance per day (let’s say around 3,000) you will gain weight but not as fast. You may, arguably, gain a little less body fat with this method but in the long run it is FAR more efficient to aim high and miss high then to aim Exact and miss low with your calories.

Looking at things more practically, very few people (aside from bodybuilders), especially beginners, can be accurate or consistent enough with their nutrition to hit an exact value within 500 calories.

You tell a kid who need a MINIMUM of 3,000 calories a day to eat 3,000 calories a day and he’s not going to consistently hit that mark. He just won’t. If you think he will then you have little practical experience.

Tell a kid to aim for 3,500 or 4,000 calories and he’s going to HAVE to structure his diet to include that extra meal so even if he misses a meal on a particular day for some reason, he’s STILL above his 3,000 calorie mark. Gains are guaranteed this way, with the ONLY drawback being a slight increase in how much bodyfat you will gain.

To give you an idea of how minimal the gain in bodyfat will be, consider I went from about 8% bodyfat at 188 lbs this fall to 212lbs at about 9% body fat currently. Some guys might gain 2 or 3% bodyfat, it depends.

fireball is demonstrating that he has “just enough knowledge to be dangerous.” You read an article and find out that your body only needs 500 extra calories a day to gain 1lb a week and that any extra will cause excess body fat increase.

Jump to the conclusion that the athlete will have perfect compliance with this recommendation, track his nutrition perfectly and not engage in ANY additional calorie burning activities (I’m sure I burn in excess of 500 calories just walking around campus all day).

At the end of the day, even if the athlete follows everything PERFECTLY they have still only gained 1 lb a week, or 16lbs in 16 weeks. And they are still gaining body fat. I gained 22lbs in this time frame because I aimed high and when I missed my goal I missed high.

dude you just post what you posted here on bodybuilding.com and you will get eaten up alive. You know nothing about what you are talking about. Nothing.

You can only gain 1-2lbs a week of muscle in a week. you are telling him to eat 4000 calories when he only needs to eat 2500. The rest is a complete waste.

From what you said in the previous post he needs 2,000 calories a day. Thus he must have calculated his daily mainetence calorie intake. This also calculates how much activity level he is doing. He is only 128 fuking pounds you stupid morn. You know absolutely nothing. 4,000 calorie is enough for a frikin 220lb man. Not a man who is only 130lbs. Get your facts right.

I am definitely going to post this on bodybuilding.com… What a complete joke.

Also its not hard to track your frikin nutriton level. Wow most foods say on the friking package what nutrition value it contains. All you really need is a scale too.

You are also insulting the original poster, you refer to him as a boy and say he can’t count his calories.

He is a man, who is 18 years old. If he is honestly this dedicated to baseball, then i am sure he will take an extra 5min out of his meal plan to track his foods.

Aiming for 4,000 calories is plain stupid. All you will do is gain unecessary fat.

ALSO LANKY YOU SAID YOU BULKED RIGHT. 186LBS TO 220LBS OR SOMETHING LIKE THAT RIGHT…

How many calories were you taking in. According to your previosu post if that guy is 130lbs and needs 4,000 calories, then i guess in order for you to gain weight you took in at leats 7,000 calories right.

ALSO I NEVER READ ARTICLE TO TELL ME THAT I NEEDED 500 CALORIES OVER MY MAIENTENCE A DAY DUMBASS.

I read probaly over 100 articles about nutriton from bodybuilding.com and basically devoted the last 6 months of my life from going 500 calories over my mainetence.

OH YA I GAINED 25LBS OF MUSCLE. SO OBVIOUSLY IT WASN’T 1 ARTICLE I READ.

WOW…

Dude seriously you do not know what you are talking about. Well at least for muscle and strength gains.

[quote=“fireball999”]dude you just post what you posted here on bodybuilding.com and you will get eaten up alive. You know nothing about what you are talking about. Nothing.

You can only gain 1-2lbs a week of muscle in a week. you are telling him to eat 4000 calories when he only needs to eat 2500. The rest is a complete waste.

From what you said in the previous post he needs 2,000 calories a day. Thus he must have calculated his daily mainetence calorie intake. This also calculates how much activity level he is doing. He is only 128 fuking pounds you stupid morn. You know absolutely nothing. 4,000 calorie is enough for a frikin 220lb man. Not a man who is only 130lbs. Get your facts right.

I am definitely going to post this on bodybuilding.com… What a complete joke.

Also its not hard to track your frikin nutriton level. Wow most foods say on the friking package what nutrition value it contains. All you really need is a scale too.

You are also insulting the fuk out of the original poster, you refer to him as a boy and say he can’t count his calories.

He is a man, who is 18 years old. If he is honestly this dedicated to baseball, then i am sure he will take an extra 5min out of his meal plan to track his foods.

Aiming for 4,000 calories is plain stupid. All you will do is gain unecessary fat.

ALSO LANKY YOU SAID YOU BULKED RIGHT. 186LBS TO 220LBS OR SOMETHING LIKE THAT RIGHT…

How many calories were you taking in. According to your previosu post if that guy is 130lbs and needs 4,000 calories, then i guess in order for you to gain weight you took in at leats 7,000 calories right.[/quote]

I’m not going to stoop to your level and make personal attacks. I insulted nobody. I’m on a D1 baseball team surrounded by highly motivated players, myself included, and getting enough calories is a very common problem. In fact, the only person I personally know who follows a meal plan with perfect compliance is an elite level figure athlete…

Why you would post this on a bodybuilding website is beyond me. Again we are not bodybuilders. You are recommending aiming for 500 calories above maintenance and being PERFECT with compliance, an unrealistic goal for 99.9% of ATHLETES. If you’re a bodybuilder this is a different story.

I am recommending aiming for 1,000+ calories above maintenance and making faster progress with some wiggle room to account for compliance issues that affect everyone (except bodybuilders, figure athletes and you, apparently). It’s not insulting, it’s a fact.

I’m putting up with your personal attacks and insults because I was once like you, in certain ways. I’ve since learned how to have a mature idea-oriented discussion, something which you will pick up in time.

And just an aside, I’ve tried both types of bulking. The “eat super clean, take in only 500 extra calories and spend a ton of time and energy making sure your nutrition is PERFECT” strategy and the “eat relatively clean, take in as much food as you can stomach, aiming for 5,000 cals” strategy.

The former, I gained slightly less than one lb a week and no visible body fat. The latter, I gained well above one lb a week, far more strength, and very minimal body fat. It’s about how fast you want to get to your goals.

Respond without personal attacks next time, that’s not what this forum is about.

[quote=“fireball999”]

OH YA I GAINED 25LBS OF MUSCLE. SO OBVIOUSLY IT WASN’T 1 ARTICLE I READ.

.[/quote]

Too bad all that muscle you say you’ve gained isn’t helping your velocity. lmao :wink:

ya thats what everyone thought too. Believe it or not. I went to a winter camp. And last year my fastball was only recorded at 82mph. When i went to the winter camp my highest fastball was recorded at 91mph. And i consistently threw 87-88mph, with good control. So talk all the shit you want.

And Lankthy you still never answered the question, you just made some big long story with big words in it.

IF that kid needs 4,000 calories a day and is only 128lbs then how much should a 188lb person like you need. 7,000 calories right

Also do you know what a daily maintence calorie intake is. They account for all the calories you are losing roughly.

You put your heigh,weight, and then your activity level. Of course if you are a marathon runner you are going to require alot of calories. If you want to gain weight you add 500 calories above that.

Also baseball players do not require long distance running to become succesful. They need very short sprints. Short sprints do not take 500 calories out of yoru body.

Lets say that kid who is 128lbs does short sprints every day. We can say that he maybe loses 200calories if he really did an intense workout. Maybe a mile of sprints altogether. So you would have 700 calories a day.

Thats if he is running every day. The most he would need would be 700calories. And LANKY DON’T SAY THAT WALKING AROUND CAMPUS YOU LOSE 500 CALORIES.

500 calorie burned on my tredmill is equal to a 6.5mile run in 40min. So ya there is no way you walk 6.5miles around campus a day. Stop bull crapping and actually help the kid out.

don’t say 2,000 calories over maintenece that is dumb. plain and simple.

[quote=“fireball999”]ya thats what everyone thought too. Believe it or not. I went to a winter camp. And last year my fastball was only recorded at 82mph. When i went to the winter camp my highest fastball was recorded at 91mph. And i consistently threw 87-88mph, with good control. So talk all the ***** you want.

And Lankthy you still never answered the question, you just made some big long story with big words in it.

IF that kid needs 4,000 calories a day and is only 128lbs then how much should a 188lb person like you need. 7,000 calories right

Also do you know what a daily maintence calorie intake is. They account for all the calories you are losing roughly.

You put your heigh,weight, and then your activity level. Of course if you are a marathon runner you are going to require alot of calories. If you want to gain weight you add 500 calories above that.

Also baseball players do not require long distance running to become succesful. They need very short sprints. Short sprints do not take 500 calories out of yoru body.

Lets say that kid who is 128lbs does short sprints every day. We can say that he maybe loses 200calories if he really did an intense workout. Maybe a mile of sprints altogether. So you would have 700 calories a day.

Thats if he is running every day. The most he would need would be 700calories. And LANKY DON’T SAY THAT WALKING AROUND CAMPUS YOU LOSE 500 CALORIES.

500 calorie burned on my tredmill is equal to a 6.5mile run in 40min. So ya there is no way you walk 6.5miles around campus a day. Stop bull crapping and actually help the kid out.

don’t say 2,000 calories over maintenece that is dumb. plain and simple.[/quote]
I don’t think that you are being very professional right now about this. You are being belligerent and taking what he is saying personally. People have different views of how to properly gain weight and muscle. I personally aim to eat 4,000-5,000 calories a day. I work out hard 3 days a week, and I form my non workout days around regeneration. The ultimate thing that you need to be looking at is the structure of a good meal.

First off, you need to eat every 2-3 hours, so this includes snacks, not including a post workout shake. In your snacks you want cards from fruits/vegetables/whole grains, as well as around 30g of protein

Each meal should have a lean protein source, usually around 30-50g of protein each meal. The lighter the meat, the better, so fish is best, red meat such as beef is worst.

Eat a fruit and vegetable with every meal, and no, you can’t eat the same one each meal. You want a different color in each. This helps you get the proper vitamins and minerals.

The best time to store carbs is right after a workout. Right after the workout, carbs don’t get stored as fats, so find a protein shake and consume it 30-60 minutes after the work out. Better yet, eat you dinner after a workout, and you will be in good shake.

Don’t drink a drink with carbs. You want a lot of water or green/black tea. These teas, if unsweeted, have no carbs and the same is with water. This keeps you hydrated. If you do drink a drink with calories, drink whole milk or juices. These provide you with good calories. The reason why I don’t say skim milk is that you lose out on some of the benefits when you get watered down versions such as skim milk.

Prepare or plan your meals ahead of time, you will find it is easier to eat healthy and consume proper calories this way.

Every meal should contain:
Fruit Source
Vegetable Source
Quality Carb Source
Drink with calories (Milk or Juice)
Drink without calories (Water or unsweetened tea)

All snacks should contain:
Fruit source
20-30 g of Protein
1 drink without calories

Before bed you should have:
30g of protein
Vegetable
Healthy Fat source (fish oil)

Also, drink a gallon of water a day. I know it sounds like a lot but remember that most of the bodies reactions are going on in water. Your muscle is made up of 60% water, connective tissue is 70% water. So if you are even a little bit dehydrated this can have a significant effect. If you drink a gallon of water a day, you will find you have more energy, sleep better, digest better, and get sick less.

[quote=“fireball999”]ya thats what everyone thought too. Believe it or not. I went to a winter camp. And last year my fastball was only recorded at 82mph. When i went to the winter camp my highest fastball was recorded at 91mph. And i consistently threw 87-88mph, with good control. So talk all the ***** you want.

[/quote]

Oh really, so you playing college ball?

yes i will be i am still in grade 12. Also have you guys actually tried to eat 4,000-5000 calories a day. i guarantee you guys are eating no where near what you are saying.

Count all the calories you eat in a day seriously. Guarantee it will not come out to no where near 4,000 calories

Get a food log and count. I am 190lbs and write all my food down, and trust me its hard to eat even 3,500 calories a day. Yet alone 5000 calories. Jesus. you guys are just

Huh?

4000 kcal/day is easy to eat. One of our college-bound pitchers at our facility is doing just that. He is 6’0" 160 lbs and his coach wants him at 185-190 lbs before arriving on campus.

[quote=“fireball999”]yes i will be i am still in grade 12. Also have you guys actually tried to eat 4,000-5000 calories a day. i guarantee you guys are eating no where near what you are saying.

Count all the calories you eat in a day seriously. Guarantee it will not come out to no where near 4,000 calories

Get a food log and count. I am 190lbs and write all my food down, and trust me its hard to eat even 3,500 calories a day. Yet alone 5000 calories. Jesus. you guys are just bull *****[/quote]
I use a calorie counter from livestrong called my plate, and I am sure it is pretty darn accurate. It has individual brand names of granola bars, vitamins, etc. I can send you one of my meals that I eat, in fact, I can send you what I ate today, or what i eat tomorrow and I will show you. Either way I am sure of what I am eating and putting into my body.

[quote=“fireball999”]yes i will be i am still in grade 12. Also have you guys actually tried to eat 4,000-5000 calories a fuking day. i guarantee you guys are eating no where near what you are saying.

Get a food log and count. I am 190lbs and write all my food down, and trust me its hard to eat even 3,500 calories a day. Yet alone 5000 calories. Jesus. you guys are just bull *****[/quote]

I see your a senior, so I’m assuming you have already signed. Who are you playing for?

[quote=“fireball999”]

don’t say 2,000 calories over maintenece that is dumb. plain and simple.[/quote]

Each day I will spend a minimum of 1 hour and up to 2 hours walking to and from the field, class and dining hall. This is a minimum of 415 calories right there according to

4 times a week, weight lifting burns another 300 calories per day

Who knows how many calories are burned during a 3- 4hour practice. Another few hundred at least, I’m guessing. My estimate was conservative, and I was simply making the point that we often burn more calories than we think, and trying to be too fine with your calorie goals can result in poor progress.

You said that an intense sprint workout would only burn 200 calories…yet you are not taking into account EPOC (Excess post-exercise oxygen consumption). After anaerobic activity, the body’s metabolism stays elevated throughout the rest of the day resulting in more calories burned AFTER the actual exercise is over (this happens with aerobic exercise too but not as much).

Also I did answer your original question. I aim for 5,000 calories a day. It IS tough to actually reach that goal, but I get pretty close.

I stand by my original post. Please stop the immature personal attacks.

well for most kids. Talking about the original poster. I am sure that he does not walk 2 hours a day. I am pretty sure that not alot of people walk 2 hours a day. My dad’s friend walks 6 miles a day and it takes him 2 hours so i guess you do the same.

I don’t see how walking around campus, field house equals 6 miles. But whatever to teach there own.

Most kids who do train though don’t do this, so you can’t account your own personal life to be the same as other people

Assume that the most the person does is sprints every day. Baseball pitchers require quick, short powerful, explosive movements. They do not require long distance walking or running. So lets say that the majority of people do not walk 2 hours(CONSISTENLY) each day.

But ya this kid still should have only 2500 calories a day. You still do not understand do you.

The calorie counter determines before hand how many calories your body needs after you subtract the amount of activity level you are.

So if you are a marathon runner your maintence level will go up

Either way you go 500 calories over your maintence you do not go 2000 calories over your maintence.

Trust me original poster only take in 2500 calories you will see results

LEAN MUSCLE RESULTS NOT FAT.

I just want to tell you this, take your body weight in lbs, multiply it by 15, this is the minimum amount of calories you should aim for. This is assuming you don’t work out at all, and in that case, for me, I weigh 179, so I should consume 2,685 calories a day if I don’t do anything else. Yet I do a lot. I lift, I hit, I throw. Lifting is 90 minutes plus conditioning afterwords, hitting is another 30 minutes to an hour, throwing is for 20-30 minutes. So assuming that I burn around 700 calories for my team lifting/conditioning, and another 150 for hitting, 150 for throwing, you are looking at another 1,000 calories. This puts me at 3,685 calories a day to maintain weight. For each lb you want to gain a week, you need to have a 500 calorie surplus a day. So if I want to gain 2 lbs a week, I need to eat a surplus of 1,000 calories. Therefore my final number of calories is 4,685, and I feel like some of the numbers (my lifting, hitting, stretching, pitching, and conditioning calories burned) have been conservative. So in essence, 4,000-5,000 calories a day is a great diet for an athlete looking to put on weight. This does change with the athletes weight, but you will see that 4,000-5,000 calories a day will get 90% of people to the target weight and keep them healthy while they are doing this.

You don’t want to eat poor calories, all of these need to be from a good food sources. If you don’t think I am right, why not take a look at Michael Phelps. He is fueled by a 12,000 calorie a day diet. Is he fat? heck no!

What I am saying is if one person was telling you that you were wrong, I would see why you are upset. However you have multiple people disagreeing with you. I personally am a person that believes in the little things. Nutrition is so simple, but it isn’t easy. Most people overlook it and they get average results. Average people don’t do great things though. Great people do great things, and this comes in the little things. So take our advice, we know what we are talking about.

no i totally agree with you dude. You just agreed to what i was saying though.

For the daily maintence calorie intake you would say you do 5 days a week of intense training right. Thus that would make your maintence level somewhere in the 4,000 range. Thus to gain 1lb a week you need 500 calories a day. Yes i agree with that

But the original poster said he just wants to gain strength. I am guessing this is the offseason. So he probaly is taking a rest from doing all the pitching, hitting, running, fielding and everything else that is involved with baseball. Thus is intensity level is not as high as if he were actually in season. This is in season.

ya no kidding in season you will eat alot of calories, but you don’t strength train and try to gain weight in the in season you get your strength in the offseason and you try to maintain it in the in season.

So ya if he needs 2,000 calories in the offseason. THen he still only needs 2,500 calories. Also a surplus of 1,000 calories is alright, But you do realize that you will gain 1lb of fat, and 1lb of muscle. You can’t gain any more muscle than 1lb a week. Anything more than 1lb of muscle is simply fat.

Thats why 500 surplus of calories is called a clean bulk. And over that is a dirty bulk.