Nutrition Advice Thread

I am starting to help Steven around the site now and one of my main strong points is nutrition and also workouts. I am a corporate fitness major that was once an athletic training major so I know a lot about the nutrition field. I have taken many high nutrition classes including sciences of sports nutrition. Any questions you guys have you can ask here to try help take some congestion away from this forum. Ask away!

I’ll start things off … What supplements, if any, should high school players take and is it different from college and pro guys? Or youth players, for that matter?

Well, high school players have a huge advantage. They have nothing to worry about in taking supplements. High School players don’t get tested for supplements. Most college athletes do, but there’s many ways around it. However, the supplements that are banned, are banned for good reasons.

In my years of taking supplements I’ve found that most of the “stacking” products you can get, ex. N.O. Xplode, Black Power, W.A.R., all of the N.O. amplifiers are a HUGE waste of money. Baseball, for pitching is mainly about recovery. Creatine taken in huge ammounts does nothing but make your body store water as extra weight. If anybody knows what creatine supplements really do, they would know how much to take.

Creatine phosphate is in our body cells and is used in ONLY quick movements. 100 M sprints, power lifting, anything that is say, 10-30 seconds long. What creatine does is it increases the ammount of creatine phosphate in the cells. Now, after taking many classes, I have found that taking 20+ grams of creatine, like most supplements are, is way too much. In fact, it takes about 5g a day to help the cells improve. For those of you who know nutrition, you’ll know that your cells creatine phosphate, increase as you get in higher physical condiditon. Another reason why creatine supplements are a waste of time. A good small dose of creatine can be found in some protein mixes. My protein mix has 2g of protein. Combined with food I eat throughout the day, that will equal around 5-10g per day.

As for what High School, College, and even Pro players should take, I would suggest a good multivitamin, particularly one high in Vitamin B, Zinc, and Vitamin C. Also, most multivitamins don’t have all the Vitamin B groups. Vitamin B plays a huge role in energy and metabolism. Getting all these Vitamins is huge for ball players. The other B vitamin I reccommend is a Super B-Complex, which provides those extra B vitamins. Next there Acetyl L-Carnitine, which provides energy production, memory and cognitive function, is that good for pitching? I’d say so. One of the most important would also be Glucosamine Sulfate. This is for healthy joint and cartilage maintainance. Pretty self explanitory. There is also Flaxseed Oil, which is great for heart and cardiovascular heath. Flaxseed Oil also increases testosterone levels and increases endurance. The main point is the cardiovascular health. Another helpful thing is Glutamine. This is also found in my protein so I don’t have to take pills or any mixes. This helps prevent muscle loss, which is good for in season. If you can find any BCAA, branched chain amino acids, these are also very good, but once again they are found in proteins.

So my main point is this…Why are kids and HS and College Athletes taking these overpriced supplements, when they could pay barely anything to get supplements at your local Walmart? Vitamins are a very underestimated product in my opinion, even though they are in most supplements. However, most supplements are chemically altered which changing the properties of most vitamins and minerals.

What supplements do you take?
How much did you pay?
Answer those questions and then I will tell you what it costs me to get 3 months of supplements that work better and are healthier for your body in the long run as well.

Centrum Perfomance- $19.47 for 120 days
Natures Bounty Flaxseed Oil- $5.00 for 50 days
Natures Bounty Glucosamine Sulfate- $10.00 for 40 days
Natures Bounty Acetyl L-Carnitine- $10.00 for 30 days
Spring Valley Super B-Complex- $5.00 for 250 days
Body Fortress Super Advanced Whey Protein Powder Chocolate- $13.00 for 30 days

You total that up, it’s around $50 dollars for all of that…AT WALMART!

Let me end by saying that I do not reccommend any GNC product, they are highly overpriced and these are the same, if not better because their natural products.

fish oil?

How do you feel about ZMA?
How about Turmeric?
And do you recommend glucosamine as only glucosamine sulfate, not using MSM and Condritin with it to supplement the glucosamine sulfate?

[quote=“LankyLefty”]fish oil?[/quote]Fish Oil is good, I do not take it because I never noticed anything when I used to take it, as for right now I’m noticing a lot of energy increases and recovery, stamina and other increases. I don’t take it, but I wouldn’t tell you to stay away from it.

[quote=“CSOleson”]How do you feel about ZMA?
How about Turmeric?
And do you recommend glucosamine as only glucosamine sulfate, not using MSM and Condritin with it to supplement the glucosamine sulfate?[/quote]ZMA is very interesting. It’s basically minerals, Zinc and Magnesium. From what I understand about this is that your body can produce more testosterone because of increased zinc and magnesium levels. Most multivitamins, including mine have zinc and magnesium. I’m not really familiar with ZMA’s but it doesn’t look like too bad of an idea. Turmeric is more of a thing to take for just general health. It is more for healing. If you want to take this, I wouldn’t see any harm at all in taking it. I use Glucosamine Sulfate because that is what almost every doctor, surgeon, nutrition expert would reccommend. From what I’ve read, it’s just a difference in the chemical balance and how it works and is spread throughout the body. I have used with mitochondritin before and never noticed a difference, where now my flexibility has increased and joints feel wonderful. Just my reccommendation.

Hello sir. Im currently 16, and a junior in high school. I take a Centrum every morning after breakfast. Once a day ill also drink a shake made with Body Fortress Super Advanced Whey Protein Powder. I would like to ask how much of this whey protein you suggest putting in it, as i usually use 1.5 scoops. As for those other supplements you use, any suggestion on which ones a high schooler like me should think about taking? Thanks!

[quote=“Chain Drive”]Hello sir. Im currently 16, and a junior in high school. I take a Centrum every morning after breakfast. Once a day ill also drink a shake made with Body Fortress Super Advanced Whey Protein Powder. I would like to ask how much of this whey protein you suggest putting in it, as i usually use 1.5 scoops. As for those other supplements you use, any suggestion on which ones a high schooler like me should think about taking? Thanks![/quote]Take as many of them as you can handle a day. I take all the ones I mentioned. Your off to a great start!

What is it that supplements offer that whole natural foods can’t.

[quote=“TheUnDiscovered”]What is it that supplements offer that whole natural foods can’t.[/quote]I’m not taking supplements really. What I take is basic vitamins. The only supplement that I take is protein. Natural foods are great, but if you want to be in the top condition you need a little help. I think that taking vitamins needs to be part of a successful diet and especially at the college level. College baseball is hard to eat healthy all day and eat 6 meals, taking vitamins and minerals is by far the best way to go, rather than stacking creatins, preworkouts, and nitric oxides.

Thanks Tanner. You dont think i should have any worries taking something like Acetyl L-Carnitine, Flaxseed Oil, and Glucosamine Sulfate because of my age?

[quote=“Chain Drive”]Thanks Tanner. You dont think i should have any worries taking something like Acetyl L-Carnitine, Flaxseed Oil, and Glucosamine Sulfate because of my age?[/quote]From everything I’ve learned, age doesn’t really matter too much in taking vitamins and minerals. Maybe just start off on the lowest dose recommended, and see what happens. I’ve never been taught that age is a factor in taking vitamins.

I noticed on the directions for those vitamins it says “for adults, take x amount daily”

[quote=“Chain Drive”]I noticed on the directions for those vitamins it says “for adults, take x amount daily”[/quote]On mine, they only say, keep out of reach of children. The reason for this is so that they don’t take like 5 or 6 pills which would be way over the ammount per day.

Well i trust you know your stuff. Thanks a lot tanner!

[quote=“Chain Drive”]Well i trust you know your stuff. Thanks a lot tanner![/quote]No problem. Like I said, just follow the instructions, and you’ll be just fine. Good luck!

Hey Tanner just a quick question. What are some general guidelines about nutrition, like what foods should I eat at what time of day. My practices are in the evening and I wish to get better at nutrition this season. I’ve begun to reduce food that I know is bad for me (soda, candy, etc.) But I’m just curious about your thoughts on that. The only thing that I have noticed is that immediately after practice if I eat some sort of grain and maybe like an energy drink I feel better.

I take both Flaxseed oil and Fish oil.
I know that flaxseed is helpful to increase testosterone levels, endurance, brain health, etc. It has Omegas-3,6,and 9. Omega 3 is a natural anti-inflammatory while omega-6 has been linked to inflammation, and is typically found in darker meats. Flaxseed relies mainly on ALA (alpha-lipoic acid).
Fish oil is simply omega-3 which comes from both DHA and EPA. Both have their pros to them.

Since I mix them, what level should I mix them at to not overdo it? APA is converted by the both into EPA, which is one of the main ingredients in the fish oil, but that is only minuscule compared to the fish oil

The flaxseed you are supposed to take 3 times a day, 1 pill each (1000 mg).
The fish oil it says to take 1-2 pills twice a day (1200mg per pill).

Now I have been taking 1 flaxseed in the morning and one fish oil at night. Can I boost this to a more optimal level? If so, what would you recommend?

[quote=“CSOleson”]I take both Flaxseed oil and Fish oil.
I know that flaxseed is helpful to increase testosterone levels, endurance, brain health, etc. It has Omegas-3,6,and 9. Omega 3 is a natural anti-inflammatory while omega-6 has been linked to inflammation, and is typically found in darker meats. Flaxseed relies mainly on ALA (alpha-lipoic acid).
Fish oil is simply omega-3 which comes from both DHA and EPA. Both have their pros to them.

Since I mix them, what level should I mix them at to not overdo it? APA is converted by the both into EPA, which is one of the main ingredients in the fish oil, but that is only minuscule compared to the fish oil

The flaxseed you are supposed to take 3 times a day, 1 pill each (1000 mg).
The fish oil it says to take 1-2 pills twice a day (1200mg per pill).

Now I have been taking 1 flaxseed in the morning and one fish oil at night. Can I boost this to a more optimal level? If so, what would you recommend?[/quote]Personally, I would scrap the Fish Oil. I don’t think that it has a huge effect, even though it is great for health, but for pitching, I think Flax Seed Oil is the best between the two. I would follow the guidelines though, unless it says not to mix the two, which I doubt it says. Maybe only take 1 fish oil instead of 2 and take all 3 flaxseed pills.