Nutrioning

Hey what’s the ideal diet to gain muscle weight while still being lanky to pitch? Ideally aiming for a nice velocity jump with mechanical fix and strength being added. Last summer/fall worked out, didn’t watch diets and now learned how much of an impact it had as mass = gas’s. My 4 mph gain could have been more if I had dieted.

Should I be using supplements? I turn 16 in August. What should I be aiming for carb wise per day and what should I eat to gain muscle?

Thanks

I’m not a nutritionist, but a college coach advised my 17-year-old/5’10"/175 lbs. son that he needed to gain about 12 lbs. of muscle to be more recruitable as a college catcher. He advised him to undertake an intensive strength/conditioning program and increase his calorie intake to 4600 calories daily. The diet he suggested included tons of protein, vegetables, fruit and healthy carbs.

My son lifted free weights 2-3x per week and did sprinting and plyometrics 2x per week. The training and diet combined added 15 lbs. of muscle in a little over four months. Pretty remarkable.

One supplement that I believed helpled enormously – although it’s probably not for everyone – was a daily whey protein shake with creatine. Such supplements are widely available at pharmacies and online. While training intensively, it can be difficult for young men with high metabolisms to pack all the calories they need into regular meals and snacks. The daily shake ensured that my son got the nutritional building blocks his body needed without fail.

Creatine is a natural substance that is widely utilized by athletes to boost ATP in working muscle (stored energy) during intensive training. It essentially extends the duration of possible activity, which allows an athlete to train more intensively. My son’s doctor approved his use of creatine, so I was comfortable with it. I would suggest that anyone thinking of using it perform independent research and consult with his or her physician first, just to be safe.

Best of luck with your training.

I am 6’6 RHP with a pretty lanky frame. In high school, I weighed about 170 lbs. Since getting to college I’ve put on 40 pounds and maintained the same length.

One of the main things I wish I could go back in time and tell myself is to focus on post workout stretching. Part of putting on weight is being able to maintain good flexibility to be athletic.

As far as putting on weight, I agree with Valentine. Our nutritionist was big on upping calorie count to 4,000 - 4,500 calories a day. She suggested liquid calories as a big change. Juices, milk (lots of milk) and other things were a good way to add 200-400 calories to a meal. Instead of just trying to stuff yourself 3 times a day, change to make 6 normal or slightly less meals a day. Make sure you never go to bed without being full. In your sleep, your body uses the most to recover and rebuild and strengthen your muscles. If you don’t have enough protein while you sleep, the body will take protein from other places in your body and limit strength growth.

I hope this helps & best of luck.

There really is no special nutrition for baseball. If you just look up basic diet tips those should work well.