NPA Pitcher's AZ Collegiate Summer League Log

Well, I’m back again and nearly at full health after a long bout with upper (shoulder) bicep tendonitis. Halfway through my college season after missing starts and throwing on a few back to back days, etc., I started to get some shoulder pain. It wasn’t bad at first, but my shoulder kept flaring up. I couldn’t pitch the last three weeks of the season, and I couldn’t even pick up anything heavier than around 20-30 lbs with my right arm.

Right now I’m in Arizona playing in the Arizona Collegiate Wood Bat League. (
http://www.azsummerball.com/
)

The league started on Monday the 23rd, and I’ve thrown once since I’ve been here. I finally felt good enough to throw on Friday. I came in the bottom of the sixth with one out and the bases loaded. Struck both kids out and threw six pitches total. I was only throwing somewhere between 84-86, but I’m not worried about that yet. I’m not 100% yet, so hopefully it will come back up.

Monday:
2.0 IP
3 K’s
1 BB
0 H
0 R

Overall:
2.2 IP
5 K’s
1 BB
0 H
0 R

Control was kind of erratic in those 2 innings, but I would say I was effectively wild. :smiley: Came in a close/save situation in the top of the 6th when it was 4-3, but by the time the top of the 7th rolled around it was 9-3.

I might throw again Thursday, but if I don’t, I’ll throw on Monday for sure.

Game 3 (Thursday):
2.0 IP
4 K’s
1 BB
3 H
1 ER
Win

Overall:
(1-0)
4.2 IP
9 K’s
2 BB
3 H
1 ER

I came in to start the 4th inning. I could not find any control what-so-ever the first 4 batters. The first batter hit a double in a 3-1 count. The next batter I walked. Then they ran a hit and run to perfection. I threw a really nasty 2-2 splitter and the kid hit it off the end off his bat and just rolled into the second base hole. (The second baseman was covering second.) That put guys on 1st and 2nd. My control finally started to come back and the next guy hit a weak grounder to short. We got the guy at second but didn’t finish the double play.

So, one out, men on 1st and 3rd. I got the count to 0-2 and threw a splitter a little to short. The guy on first was stealing so he got 2nd without a throw. I struck this batter out, and then proceeded to strike the next batter out. It could have been a lot worse…

My next inning went much smoother. The first kid grounded out to first. The next kid hit a single threw SS and 3rd on a pitch that was supposed to be up and in. I left it a bit over the plate. Then I struck out the next two batters again.

So, all in all, I’d consider this a “good” outing. Not great or excellent considering how it started off, but a good outing. But my control, it seems, is finally starting to come around.

• Jake

Game 4 (Monday):
(2-0)
2.1 IP
5 K’s
2 BB
0 H
1 R
0 ER
Win

Overall:
(2-0)
7.0 IP
14 K’s
4 BB
3 H
2 R
1 ER

Roger came to see the game today. Thank you sir!

I came in relief again, this time in the Bottom of the 5th with 2 outs and runners on 1st and 3rd. We were up 4-3 I started off really shaky today. Bicep was a little flared today, and it took a while to get loose. I walked the first kid, and then threw a pitch a splitter in the dirt to the backstop…So they scored one to tie the game 4-4. Then I walked the next kid. But, I didn’t look back from there. I struck the next kid out to end the inning.

The next inning I struck out 2, and a kid hit a grounder to first. The last inning I struck out 2 and then a kid grounded out to me to end the game.

All in all, a better performance, but I’m just hoping I can get warmer quicker and get rid of those early inning…well whatever it is.

• Jake

Stats Update: I’ll edit in game reviews later.

Game 5 (Monday):
(2-1)
2.0 IP
3 H
3 R
2 ER
4 K’s
1 BB
Loss

Overall:
(2-1)
9.0 IP
18 K’s
5 BB
7 H
5 R
3 ER

Game 6 (Wednesday):
(2-1)
1 SV
3.0 IP
6 K’s
0 BB
2 H
0 R
0 ER
SAVE

Overall:
(2-1)
1 SV
12.0 IP
24 K’s
5 BB
9 H
5 R
3 ER

Hey, it’s Jake again. I haven’t been updating this recently, but I figure I might as well go ahead and finish this out. Here are my end of summer season stats.

• (3-1) -
  • 1.44 ERA -
  • 25 IP -
  • 11 AP -
  • 2 GS -
  • 2 SV -
  • 13 H -
  • 6 R -
  • 4 ER -
  • 9 BB -
  • 40 K -

I’ll see ya soon. Fall ball starts in two weeks!

• Jake

Update:

I threw last night in the championship game, but I wasn’t expecting. I got a really bad blister during Tuesdays game and didn’t think I’d be able to go, but the team we played was a bunch of…How about this -bleep- x10. So, I came in in the top of the 7th with one out since the kid that was supposed to hold it gave up 3 runs… So, I came in with a runner on second, struck a kid out and then the next kid hit a ground ball to first and I covered. Quick and easy.

• Updated Final Stats -

• (3-1) -

• 1.40 ERA -

• 25.2 IP -

• 12 AP -

• 2 GS -

• 2 SV -

• 13 H -

• 6 R -

• 4 ER -

• 9 BB -

• 41 K -