Not your normal diet question

I’ve been having some trouble finding consistent info on the web…
About how many calories should I be eating a day? Carbs in grams? Fat in grams?

I am looking to drop 10lbs, I am around 210-215lbs
18years old

There are tons of opinions out there, and I dont think there is one “right” answer here. I think for an active athlete, the best resource you will find is John Berardi. Berardi is very respected in the academic world, plus he has tons of experience working with Olympic and all other levels of athletes. He has a ton of articles on his site, www.johnberardi.com , that you can read for free. Since you want to lose 10 pounds, I’d look through his “Lean Eating” articles. Very good stuff there.

One other thing to remember is that most diet advice you will find is geared towards couch potatoes (the average person looking to lose weight). Even the 2,000 calories a day mantra is based on a sedentary/ low activity lifestyle. Most athletes will need more than that just to maintain their weight (I think I need about 2800 or so a day to stay where I am). So, when you look for advice, make sure the source is familiar with athletes and their specific nutritional needs.

Thanks kc, right on as usual.

if you are really serious about dropping weight, try this, try to eat 3-4 fruits a day and 3-4 veggies a day. Its hard but if you try it for a week, it will become easier. Try to vary the fruits and veggies you eat. Avoid fast food: burgers, fries, pizza, etc. Drink Naked or Odwalla juices: the taste alot better then they look, they are however an aquired taste, first time: bad, second: better, third: tastes great. Try to cut out pop too. Drink lots of water

Yeah life liquid is good.

I think I read somewhere if you have trouble drinking water buy some lemon juice and squeeze a little into your mouth and it will dry it up pretty good. Then you’ll be dieng for water.

I dropped a significant amount of weight about two years ago and a couple of my keys were.

1. Water-quenchs thirst like nothing else, something with no calories but keeps you hydrated is perfect. If you are a soda drinker try to cut back to some extent, or make a switch to diet.

2. Fruits-most people have trouble avoiding a certain sweet. Fruits are something very vital to chasing a craving for something sweet. Oranges, Mandarin Oranges, Apples, Pears, Grapes, Cantaloupe, they’re really aren’t any bad options for fruit.

3. Vegetables-don’t be afraid to eat them, they’re high in fiber, fill you up fast, and very nutritious, eat away.

4. Snacks-one of the easiest ways to lose weight is to substitute a healthy alternative to what you’re typical “junk” food is. Nuts, especially almonds are a great snack, fruits, vegetables, just substitute one of these things in for something sweet that you grab on the run.

5. Keep a running count of the things you ate in your head throughout the day. Plan, it’s key. If you know you’ll be tempted to eat badly, then change the situation.

6. Take a step back and look at yourself, if your not exercising much, most likely just changing that will make the difference of ten pounds. If you’re already active just cut down a few small things in your diet, for you, substantial changes aren’t needed.

Good Luck, hope that helped.

Well I have been looking at some stuff and I am pretty sure I am right where I need to be, weight-wise.

I had been on the anabolic diet for about 6 months and lost 10 pounds, from 225-215. That was no veggies other than broccoli, tons of high fat high protein meals, no fruits other than watermelon, ZERO carbs other than on Sundays, and 6-7 meals a day. That was a great diet, and it worked, just not having ANY carbs really got to me by Friday/Saturday.

But, like I said, I think I am sitting where I need to be right now. 211.3 today before the workout and 210.1 after.

Thanks for the answers.