Not sure how to feel about this,,,,, from a baseball etiquette

Just a quick back ground on my son. On of his biggest criticism from coaches is lack of emotion. Coaches will tell me that you wouldn’t know if my son gave up a grand slam or threw a no hitter.
Now my son is a freshman at a D1 juco school as playing was most important thing in deciding schools. Just this weekend he was on the mound and both kids really struggling with the umpires zone. To put it in perspective a total of 13 walks in the game and a score of 15/16!! It was a pitch to contact game, lots of fastballs. After the 3rd inning our team had 5 Errs, 3 by one kid alone. Then he had 2 more Errs back to back. It was obvious the coach was coming out to get my son off the mound. In the process of doing so the infielders were coming to the mound, my son looked at the kid who at this point had now 5 of the 7 Err’s and said " Don’t even come here, stay at your bag "
I know the kids are friends and they have great chemistry through the team so they will make up, but I’ve never seen my son actually show that side before. The coach hasn’t said anything to my son yet, so I’m assuming a no issue thing, but just looking for some thoughts on this if it were your son.

Two comments…

He needs to learn not to worry about things over which he has no control lest he be constantly worrying about something.

I’d ask him what he did to pick up his teammate - to demonstrate some leadership.

I finally got a chance to talk to my son yesterday about the situation, I do feel better about what happened. He let me know that the kid wasn’t an everyday player and the day before they had some injuries. Coach let the kid know he’d be starting,. My son informed me that even knowing this and knowing they had to be leaving at 8am, that he didn’t get into the dorms until 2am. I asked if he was sure about this? He said yes, he’s his roommate. My son said he was totally unprepared to play that day, even with the chance to impress the coach and try and work his way into more innings, he was unprepared.

I like this approach. When pro scouts and/or college coaches recruit pitchers, they look for how a kid handles himself in adverse situations – bad umps, bad plays in the field, bad field conditions, etc. Skills are skills. Mental toughness is a differentiator. It absolutely, positively does not matter if a kid makes 20 errors in a game behind a pitcher, so long as the pitcher carries himself like a professional.

Glad you’re feeling better about the situation.