Not really feelin it

Usually in the time leading up to the baseball season I am getting really excited and can barely wait for the season to start. This year things are different. I just don’t really feel like playing right now. Maybe its just a temporary thing but i dont know. It started last year on my HS team. I just wasn’t having any fun. I sat the bench a lot and got to pitch a grand total of 1.2 innings. I still love pitching, but now that I am trying out for varsity I don’t think I will get a chance to. I really dislike playing the field and sort of like hitting. Last summer I played on a rec team and had a great time (I pitched every other game).
I guess my point it that if I’m not pitching then i don’t like playing baseball, and now if I am on Varsity I will probablly not ever pitch.

What do you all think I should do. I’ve even been thinking about just doing track this year, but this would probablly wreck any future in baseball I may have had.

It’s hard to be pumped up if you won’t be getting much playing time.

But as someone who’s older, I’m tellin ya, do NOT take the game for granted. I know it’s hard to maintain a certain appreciation at your age, I mean, when I was in high school I even thought about playing tennis instead my senior year … but it’s not worth it. baseball is too good, man. it’s just too good.

Maybe you can play in an independent league and not your hs team if it sucks there too bad. That’s what a lot of kids do here.

you reach a point in all sports when you dont"feel it".This is what separates those who go on and those who dont.I think its very interesting that you posted this,because I’ve pondered this before,and usually its a hindsight discussion of what could have been.Look at your strengths and weaknesses honestly,use/improve as needed,remain coachable,but most importantly,never lose faith in yourself as a good player—self-confidence is at stake here.Especially if you are"playing up" by playing upperclassmen.They paid their dues on the bench,too.So my advice is–stay tough–focus—hustle—learn—and have fun,man!!!

I don’t get it Hoov. Are you in a situation where you are being treated unfairly or is there too many Sr’s? Why are you on the bench? If it is out of your control, you have to look for opportunities to show what you have. If it’s within your conrol…well you have to look at that also, follow through and troubleshoot in your mind how you came to that spot. Obviously you love and enjoy the game. I would suggest you look into your heart and decide just what you want. If it is to play baseball, then you should look at (Honestly) where you need to go to reach your goal (More work, more conditioning, more seasoning, private lessons, go to a private school…what-ever). I agree that you shouldn’t let go until you’ve really given it thought. Consider all angles, it’s really important. You really don’t want to deal with the regret in later life, so you should consider it thoughtfully.

[quote=“andrew.ra.”]It’s hard to be pumped up if you won’t be getting much playing time.

But as someone who’s older, I’m tellin ya, do NOT take the game for granted. I know it’s hard to maintain a certain appreciation at your age, I mean, when I was in high school I even thought about playing tennis instead my senior year … but it’s not worth it. baseball is too good, man. it’s just too good.

Maybe you can play in an independent league and not your hs team if it sucks there too bad. That’s what a lot of kids do here.[/quote]

What independent leagues are you referring to?

You live in Mass, right?

You can look around this link, see if you qualify for any of these teams.

http://www.leaguelineup.com/findyoursite.asp?s=1

Thanks for the advice!!

jdfromfla-
Last year I was unfairly treated. This year on Varsity there are too many SR’s. Because I didn’t get to play much last year The Varsity coach thinks I’m no good. But in reality it was due to a JV coach who played favorites. In the 12 ab’s I did get I batted .312 with a few rbis and sb’s. To prove our coach really was playing favorites and I’m not just biased, another kid on the team had one hit all season in twice as many ab’s. He was no better in the field making 5 errors in CF and having a .600 something fld%. As a 2b I made one error throughout 41 innings at 2b. Our “star” SS who got called up to Varsity as a freshman made 9 errors (3 in one inning) . There were 3.08 less unearned runs per game in the games where I played the field. Coinsidience? Maybe, but maybe not.
The pitching bugs me even more though. It was the 3rd to last game of the season and we were getting killed 11-1. Our pitcher was struggling and my coach came out and put me in (first pitching apperance in 2 years with that coach). He said he wanted to leave and he just wanted me to throw a strike for every pitch. Thats basically what I did K’ing the first two hitters on 6 pitches. The third guy hit a pop up behind the plate that the catcher dropped. Two pitches later the batter popped out and I was done. I was pleased, thinking that this may have been a good enough proformance to earn a start. Well in the last game of the season in the bottom of the 7th inning, losing 12-3 to the best team in the league my coach brought me in. I got the 2 outs allowing no runs. That was all i pitched all season. Our two “aces” had era’s of 15.43 and 9.78. The other two starters had 8.98 and 7.47 era’s. The only kid to get an era below 7, besides me, was another kid who rarely pitched (8 IP) and ended with a 2.25 era.

Sorry for the rant, Im just frustrated.

i know how that feels not to be feeling it especially if you get injured and you figure why play anymore ( i did ) … just keep on if you love the sport alot you’ll keep it… its the best sport out there to me i would never switch, keep practicing get better and you’ll love it even more when you’re striking everyone out :stuck_out_tongue:

Maybe your coach just likes to give the nod to the older kids which means your time will come. You think that’s a possibility?

Furthermore, you’ve no doubt still got some growing to do. Are you a late bloomer? If any of this applies to you, then don’t sell yourself short.

I was a late bloomer. I came out of high school as a good but not great basketball player. I decided I had no shot at the college level. It wasn’t until my college years when I played in men’s leagues and got good enough to play at the college level. Of course, by then, I was fully committed to my studies so I never gave it a chance. But, my point is, I gave up on it too soon. And now I hate to see that happen to other kids. Don’t get discouraged - fight for your dream. Ride it out as long as you can.

[quote=“andrew.ra.”]You live in Mass, right?

http://www.leaguelineup.com/findyoursite.asp?s=1[/quote]

I’m not looking for a leauge myself, I was just wondering what you meant by independent leagues. When I hear that, I think of the professional independent leagues that consist of minor league players. That would obviously not be a league to look for in this situation.

If you’re talking about local semi-pro type teams, than that’s a different story.

I was the third oldest kid on the JV team last year and still sat the bench a lot.

I am a late bloomer. Im 5’8" 135 lbs 16 yrs old (My brother is 6’5" and 18 yrs) Fastball about 75-77 (toped out around 73 last year)

I know what it feels like to be benched a lot as a pitcher. I believe that I pitched as many innings as you did and then that was it. But then in the summer league I had a great time, just like you on the rec team. The point is that even if you don’t get to play a lot, it’s the love for baseball that matters, the love for the sport and having fun while staying active. You can take one of your friends from the dug-out and throw with them for a little while. That’s what my friends and I always like to do. Who knows, maybe upon seeing such an active interest in throwing the ball, they’ll know that you’re loose and ready to play :slight_smile: All I know is that you have to work hard to play the game and have fun.

I just did a post on this in the “Can I get an amen for Buffalobaseball” post. I thought it was a very important post about mindset. Please read it, it breaks down your critical thought processes and how I think you ought to go foward (The past is gone…leave it there…you won’t succeed being bitter). Have a plan to fit the goal. Tell the coach you are ready, not in a feeling low bummed out kinda way…oh no you look his self right in the eye and let him know it (With passion and respect). Then walk the talk, wait your turn, be a team mate. Hustle (Don’t be a suck up wiennie) do everything he has let the team know he expects. Do it happy, why? Because you are givin it your absolute best shot. If you have skills they won’t hide and a varsity season is long, you’ll lose pitchers for one reason or another (Injury, suckage, kicked off team…whatever). If after you left it all on the ground, things ain’t goin your way then step back and look at the options…Can you transfer, things like that. They get further and further away but you still have lots of opportunity in the next 3/4 years if you got the nuts to deal.
And after all this if it all just doesn’t go your way, ya know what? You still would have givin your best and learned how to get success in the deal. I’ll be thinkin the good thoughts for ya man!

[quote=“jdfromfla”]I just did a post on this in the “Can I get an amen for Buffalobaseball” post. I thought it was a very important post about mindset. Please read it, it breaks down your critical thought processes and how I think you ought to go foward (The past is gone…leave it there…you won’t succeed being bitter). Have a plan to fit the goal. Tell the coach you are ready, not in a feeling low bummed out kinda way…oh no you look his self right in the eye and let him know it (With passion and respect). Then walk the talk, wait your turn, be a team mate. Hustle (Don’t be a suck up wiennie) do everything he has let the team know he expects. Do it happy, why? Because you are givin it your absolute best shot. If you have skills they won’t hide and a varsity season is long, you’ll lose pitchers for one reason or another (Injury, suckage, kicked off team…whatever). If after you left it all on the ground, things ain’t goin your way then step back and look at the options…Can you transfer, things like that. They get further and further away but you still have lots of opportunity in the next 3/4 years if you got the nuts to deal.
And after all this if it all just doesn’t go your way, ya know what? You still would have givin your best and learned how to get success in the deal. I’ll be thinkin the good thoughts for ya man![/quote]

Her I was going to post, but I don’t need to now. Nice post jd!

[quote=“palo20”][quote=“andrew.ra.”]You live in Mass, right?

http://www.leaguelineup.com/findyoursite.asp?s=1[/quote]

I’m not looking for a leauge myself, I was just wondering what you meant by independent leagues. When I hear that, I think of the professional independent leagues that consist of minor league players. That would obviously not be a league to look for in this situation.

If you’re talking about local semi-pro type teams, than that’s a different story.[/quote]

no…you’re right … certainly I’m not talking about those type indy leagues where John Rocker and RIckey Henderson played. I’m talking about 18 and over leagues that sometimes look the other way on the age issue.

The thing is that i really don’t like fielding (like enough that if all baseball was fielding I wouldn’t play). Hitting–Fun, Pitching–Awesome, Baserunning–ok, Fielding–Sucks.

The problem is that I hardly ever get to play, and when I do it is in the field and never any of the other things.

[i]"The thing is that i really don’t like fielding (like enough that if all baseball was fielding I wouldn’t play). Hitting–Fun, Pitching–Awesome, Baserunning–ok, Fielding–Sucks.

The problem is that I hardly ever get to play, and when I do it is in the field and never any of the other things" [/i]

Well Hoov, all that said…it’s gut check time. Is baseball your passion in life? If it is, what aspect of that isn’t worth fighting for ( A little boredom…lack of PT. I wonder if you have a senior or two like my sons team, who never see the field, but are ready and supportive at all times for their squad)? All of your life you will face this cross road…“Is it worth it?” "Is the obstical in my path too big for my motivation to overcome? Do you have another interest that excites you more than baseball? Everyone has to deal with it, really it’s that simple, if it’s worth it to you, you’ll take it on, no matter what! And overcome it, if not you won’t…Which is no crime, it’s just how life works.