Not Getting All Out of Throwing

I have a problem, when I throw not off the mound, I throw faster than when I am on the mound. I don’t know why but my coach tried figuring it out. A lot of the problem seemed that I had good momentum but my body was already forward and that was robbing me of velocity.

It seemed when I slowed up my momentum and throw my chest and body forward with my arm I threw a lot harder. So I need to know how I can maintain momentum and still have a lot of trunk flexion, I think its called. Where my chest and body go towards my target as my arm is moving. But I’m thinking this will hurt my hip/shoulder separation but I know I throw harder that way than when I keep my momentum.

I’ll have videos up sometime tomorrow of what is going on.

Bower, check my reply to Hutch in his thread where he asked much the same question.

Bower, let me tell you about something I learned way back when I was a kid. I used to go to the old Yankee Stadium every chance I got, and I would watch the pitchers. I noticed that the Yanks’ Big Three—Vic Raschi, Allie Reynolds and Ed Lopat—were all doing the same thing: they were all driving off the lower half of the body, using the legs, the hips and the torso in one continuous motion, and that was how they were getting the power behind their pitches. I watched, and I saw just how they were doing this, and I realized that I needed to do something like that, so I made a mental note of it and started working on it. I worked from the mound (and it was higher than it is now), and as I practiced this essential aspect of mechanics I noticed that not only was I throwing harder but also that it took a lot of pressure off the arm and the shoulder. And I said to myself, "How not to get a sore arm."
Later on, when I was working with Mr. Lopat (and what an incredible pitching coach he was!), he noted that I was a true sidearmer, and he helped me refine this move. You might try working with this for a while and see if that will help. :slight_smile: