Nolan's Mechanics 2008, please comment (youtube-friendly)

From a tournament game last week. 5 innings, 1 earned, 84 pitches.

Thanks.

Hose

looks nice

he has a realhign leg kick but still manages to keep his balance

Took a que from me with the 4 seconds huh? Leaves me wanting more.
Really Hose…looks nice…doesn’t appear to be babying anything and looks to be throwing smooth and comfortable…My congrats to both of you!
Sounds like his team is into his action also.

This young man has a lot of potential. Please do include more video for all the youngsters on this site to see and learn from.

I would suggest that he keep his head down into the pitch a bit longer and during his delivery… his glove shoulder would serve his accuracy and follow thourgh well by pulling back sooner and staying back.

By the glove shoulder staying back that recoil action after the pitch is deliveried is removed. A healthy shoulder and upper body longevity will result.

I congratulate this young man for his deliberate form and the coach(s) that have worked with him. Both deserve a lot of credit… and it shows.

Coach B.

[quote=“xanderh”]looks nice

he has a realhign leg kick but still manages to keep his balance[/quote]

Flexible like his mother the gymnast! lol Sure as heck didn’t get it from me…

Hose

[quote=“jdfromfla”]Took a que from me with the 4 seconds huh? Leaves me wanting more.
Really Hose…looks nice…doesn’t appear to be babying anything and looks to be throwing smooth and comfortable…My congrats to both of you!
Sounds like his team is into his action also.[/quote]

Thanks, JD. Team is struggling without any hitting…that’s the opposite of what I thought would happen…if anything, I thought we’d be weak on the bump. Turns out, they can’t hit live pitching - though they kick butt in the cage. Typical at this age (15), I’m told. Still…

His latest game he went 5 hitless/scoreless. 68 pitches, of which 67 were FB. He told me he was "dealin’ " and I guess I believe him (i wasn’t able to make it). Coach pulled him to save him for a tournament this weekend or he would have probably gone 7.

Thanks for the encouraging words, always appreciated coming from a guy who’s been there!

Hose

[quote=“Coach Baker”]This young man has a lot of potential. Please do include more video for all the youngsters on this site to see and learn from.

I would suggest that he keep his head down into the pitch a bit longer and during his delivery… his glove shoulder would serve his accuracy and follow thourgh well by pulling back sooner and staying back.

By the glove shoulder staying back that recoil action after the pitch is deliveried is removed. A healthy shoulder and upper body longevity will result.

I congratulate this young man for his deliberate form and the coach(s) that have worked with him. Both deserve a lot of credit… and it shows.

Coach B.[/quote]

Thanks Coach B. Your booklet is great, by the way. We spent a 3 hour drive across state going over it! lol

Thank you for addressing the “recoil” issue. I’ve noticed this, and been told in the past that this can lead to shoulder problems. I’ve tried to encourage a “looser” finish (like Clemens on this forum’s intro page - I know its a curveball, but the idea still applies) but he doesn’t get it yet. I’ll mention this to his pitching coach and see if he can correct the glove-side issue you mention. At this stage, dad is just a guy who played baseball 30 years ago and “doesn’t understand the modern game”! But he likes and respects his pitching coach, and I’m sure he will agree with your suggestion.

Hose

Hose,

A couple things I noticed:

(1) Back foot lifts off the groung instead of dragging and it lifts too soon. I attribute this at least partly to a lack of momentum and a short stride.

(2) Looks like he strides closed and throws back across his body and this leads to a late postue change whereby he leans to the glove side. Watch his head and you’ll see it pull to the glove side.

Otherwise, looks good.

[quote=“Roger”]Hose,

A couple things I noticed:

(1) Back foot lifts off the groung instead of dragging and it lifts too soon. I attribute this at least partly to a lack of momentum and a short stride.

(2) Looks like he strides closed and throws back across his body and this leads to a late postue change whereby he leans to the glove side. Watch his head and you’ll see it pull to the glove side.

Otherwise, looks good.[/quote]

Thanks for catching the drag foot (or lack of). This is something he seems to come back to every year. As to the short stride length, I don’t know why he reverted. He was doing this two years ago, last year he was really long and to my mind more powerful. I think he’s losing a bunch of velocity because of it. What do you think?

The clsed stride was an aberation. I notice he does it once in a while, but normally he delivers straight to the plate.

Thanks again, Roger.

Hose

Agreed - less velocity. And less energy coming up through the body so the question is does he try to make up for it with the arm? If so, that’s more stress on the arm.