Nolan ryan - curveball

it is said that nolan ryan’s curve hit 90 miles per hour
is it possible
his fastball topped out at 100.9
if so i see why he has 5000 plus strikeouts

hes not a leader in wins because he didnt have run/offensive support

dustin mcgowans slider reaches 91

It doesn’t matter how fast it was, if you ever saw him pitch, every batter was all jinked up for the gas, it was truely funny to see them try to adjust the the hook…most couldn’t, it changed planes and as the batters eye tracked it, there was no way he could pull the trgger before it was in the zone…filthy ugly hook mess…most just froze 8)

sliders are supposed to be fast offset
curveballs arent supposed to be that fast with that much break
a slider is a variation of a fastball
fastball - cut fastball - slider
fastball - 2 seam - sinker - splitter
a curveball is a junk pitch

a 90 mile per hour curve is unhittable

Thats a fact Jack!!
(Thank you Bill Murray in Stripes!!)

I would be scared to bat against him

It not the FEAKING VELOCITY of the Curveball!Its how sharp it breaks. Some of the velocity demons here need to get a freaking clue!!!

Next, we’ll have guys wanting the curves timed on the jugs gun and a thread called “is my curve fast enough!”

IAN :evil:

Steady Ian…easy now…deep breaths…
We won’t let that happen…just relax 8)
I was watching “Unhittable” the other day…man the thing about the Express and his hook…it would start in the too high zone and you’d see the batters eye get bigger while tracking it…and just give up thinking woe better get my head outta the way of this smokin heat comin towards my noggin…just a little too close… and then would come this break…not a snapping curve…more like a frieght train peaking a rise and movin on down in the valley on a big sloping curve…always buckled the knees and then they’d turn around shaking their head and walk back to the dugout…a real thing of beauty.:cap:

Ian,

You are not wrong, but neither are the people who claim that a faster breaking ball is more difficult to hit (as long as it does break well).

At a given velocity, the extra downward curving action of a curveball (i.e., the amount of downward break that is in excess of what the gravitational force does to the ball) is due to the effect of topspin.

Pitchers who can apply very high topspin rates to their curve ball will get more break, regardless of velocity.

On the other hand a very slow curveball, even one with good topspin that will break very well, can usually be identified by a good hitter during the early part of the ball’s flight. If a good hitter knows he will have trouble with that pitch, he may have the luxury of laying off it early in the count, or fouling it off in x-2 counts.

On the other other hand, a very fast curveball–or a fast slider–can usually not be distinguished from a fastball as easily and good hitters may have trouble with a strategy of just sitting fastball when facing a pitcher who has a well-juiced breaking pitch. The more it resembles a fastball, the less it has to break. If the hitter is swinging at something he thinks is a fastball, the breaking pitch does not need to break much in order to be effective.

Randy Johnson was basically a fastball/slider pitcher for most of his career (I don’t know if he’s added anything more recently). When he had a 95 - 100 mph FB and an 85 - 90 mph slider, he really didn’t need anything else. Every one of his pitches was basically a 50-50 proposition for the hitter, and a little control of location did the rest of the job.

besides who can hit a 90 mile per hour curve

whould you rather have a slow loopy curve or a fast loopy curve

its not the velocity you said
you tell that to the major league all time leader in strikeouts
Nolan Ryan

if a curve is 90 mph then it has to be sharp

sorry ian demagi but that was a very stupid post

holy crap!

90 mphs

I mean you see guys like lincecum and bobby jenks who throw very tight and fast curves at like 82. At 90 mph he would never be hit

he pitched for over 20 seasons
and kept his velocity in the mid ninetys in his late years
he threw 7 no hitters in his career

[quote=“kelvinp”]whould you rather have a slow loopy curve or a fast loopy curve
[/quote]

This is a very contraversial topic. It can go either way. The more common one to see is fast pitcher faster brekaing pitch. Slower pitcher slower looping brekaing pitch. But that isn’t always true.

I would say that if your a faster throwing pitcher generally your breaking bal would be faster with less break due to your arm action being similar to your fastball arm action. But sometimes people tend to slow there arm action up when they throw there curve

[quote=“kelvinp”]he pitched for over 20 seasons
he threw 7 no hitters in his career[/quote]

And TWELVE ONE-HITTERS!!!

Hose

12 heart broken walks to the clubhouse

[quote=“hoseman18”][quote=“kelvinp”]he pitched for over 20 seasons
he threw 7 no hitters in his career[/quote]

And TWELVE ONE-HITTERS!!!

Hose[/quote]

If you were to go up to the plate and swing in the same spot every time at what you thought were strikes anyone can get lucky enough to hit it.

Actually I had a kid on my summer team a few years ago whos mom made him play and he went up to the plate and said if he thought it was a strike he swung at the same spot every time. Eventually he’d get a really good hit lol.

So 12 one-hitters could have been some major luck on the 1 hit. I’d say even twice someone could get lucky to get a hit. A 2-hitter is a great accomplishment.

yeah really, how many times have you had a kid on your little league team that hadnt had a hit all year then gets his first hit when it actually mattered lol

if you threw a 90 mph curveball it wouldn’t it turn into a slider.

not
lincecums hits the upper 80’s and his is 12-6
you watch some clips of nolan ryan
he never threw a slider
he threw
fastball
two seam
curveball
and changeup- slower than curve

so what your saying is if you throw a changeup 90 pmh+
it will be a fastball
not