No-hit/perfect

let’s say you have good control and walking guys isn’t such an issue, wouldn’t a no-hitter be a little bit harder than a perfect game in a sense that when there’s runners on base, some clutch hitting can happen because your hit actually will mean something?

[quote=“4pie”]let’s say you have good control and walking guys isn’t such an issue, wouldn’t a no-hitter be a little bit harder than a perfect game in a sense that when there’s runners on base, some clutch hitting can happen because your hit actually will mean something?[/quote]i still believe a perfect game is harder to get, no matter what, a kid is gonna be feeling nerves if hes got a no hitter or perfect game, but he knows a perfect game means more, and will get more nervous no matter what the situations are, i believe a no hitter is much easier to get

A perfect game is a no-hitter in which you set the other team down in order. You can still walk a batter, then induce a 6-4-3 double play and maintain your perfect game. If you get the runner at first, then the runner at 2nd, the no-no is still good, but the perfect game is gone. So the perfect game is still more difficult because everything has to happen just-so to make it happen.

A clutch hit to break up a no-no has the same impact as the same hit in a perfect game. In either case it becomes just another well-pitched game instead of a superlative achievement imho. But you know what? Gimme 20 one hitters over 1 no hitter and 19 so-so games any ol’ season.

Huh?

You’ve got to get all twenty seven out (MLB) without anyone reaching base for a perfecto. Doesn’t matter if you turn a double play after a walk it isn’t a perfect game any more.

From Wikipedia

For example there was a game where the leadoff man was walked, caught stealing second and then the next 26 in a row were set down. It was not considered a perfect game, but was considered a combined no-hitter. (The starter was tossed after walking the leadoff hitter and arguing the call.)

[quote=“CADad”]Huh?

You’ve got to get all twenty seven out (MLB) without anyone reaching base for a perfecto. Doesn’t matter if you turn a double play after a walk it isn’t a perfect game any more.

From Wikipedia

For example there was a game where the leadoff man was walked, caught stealing second and then the next 26 in a row were set down. It was not considered a perfect game, but was considered a combined no-hitter. (The starter was tossed after walking the leadoff hitter and arguing the call.)[/quote]

the starter was actually babe ruth.

4pie,
I don’t think “clutch” hitting has much to do with it. Your chances of coming up with a no-hitter when you are throwing nothing but strikes tend to be less because the hitters are swinging away. A power pitcher who walks a lot of batters and strikes out a lot of batters probably increases his chances of getting a no hitter as his walks go up because the hitters are taking more often and he has a few more double play opportunities. Nolan Ryan would be an example. It would be interesting to see how many walks he had in each of his no-hitters. There may also be a tendency to pitch around a hitter rather than attack when behind in the count with a no-no on the line. These days a lot of walks might get a pitcher pulled despite having a no-hitter going due to pitch count though.

So my guess is that up to 3 or 4 walks in a game tend to increase the chances of a hit since batters tend to have higher averages with men on base, but a lot of walks in a game tend to decrease the chances of a hit because hitters will be looking for walks rather than swinging away.

While getting a perfect game would be a wonderful thing, I believe that sometimes it’s good just not to think about it. If you’re worried about that, then it’s not worth focusing on something that will make you so nervous you don’t have any time to enjoy the game. Sure, the heart-pounding adrenaline you feel when you’re facing a batter who’s made a name for himself in any league gives some pitchers the very reason they play the game, it’s always good to just have fun with it. Competition is a wonderful thing and it’s what keeps the game interesting. It wouldn’t be very eventful if not even one ball was hit, but I bet that most people would be amazed. :lol: