No follow through with back leg

I’ve just started working with a young (12yo) pitcher who has a problem I’ve never encountered before. He drags his pivot foot throughout his entire delivery so that his back leg never comes up off the ground in any kind of followthrough.

I’ve shown him videos of MLB pitchers and explained the importance of the leg in the followthrough, but he’s having a hard time changing the habit. He can correct it when playing catch, but reverts once he gets back into a full pitching motion.

Has anyone encountered this before, and do you have any drills that are effective in correcting it? I’m about to start tying a bungee around his ankle and yanking it after he releases the ball! :lol:

What the problem seems to be is not with his leg , but with his pivot leg hip.
When he goes through the his delivery get him to concentrate on rotating his hips and really bring that back hip forward. If the hip comes through the leg has to follow. At the same time work on pushing hard off the rubber, and getting his chest over his lead leg on follow through. You can do this with dry drills. and he can work on this at home.

Even before hip rotation occurs, stride and momentum happens. I’d suggest there is a lack of momentum into front foot plant.

video?

How is his velocity? I would bet it’s poor.

IMO, if you’re getting the rest of it right, you can’t help but lift that rear leg. Unless you’re just lobbing batting practice…

Put a dollar bill on the ground out in front of the mound and have the kid “pitch” and pick it up off the ground with his pitching hand at the end of the pitch

He can’t get the bill and keep his back foot on the ground.

Thanks for all the responses.

Yes, his velocity is very slow, even for a pre-pubescent 12-year old. It’s 43-46.

I’ve gone through all the phases of the delivery with him. The funny issue is that the long foot drag with no follow through seems to be a cause rather than a symptom in his case, if that makes any sense. Obviously, it’s all a vicious circle where one relates back to the other, but what I mean is that he seems to be afraid to lift that leg up, as if he’s holding back and wants to be anchored to the ground. So, it seems to be less that he just doesn’t have any momentum or rotation as a cause unto itself that leads to no lower-body followthrough, but rather that he reduces his momentum and rotation in order to have no lower-body followthrough. If that makes any sense… it’s weird to me, too.

I really like the dollar bill drill idea. That was what I was looking for.

I’ll post some video.

Thanks guys!

IMO he should get used to throwing the crap out of the ball first. Start long tossing and then bring that intent to the mound. Usually if you throw it hard the back leg will come through.

Throwing hard with good follow through makes it impossible to keep the back foot on the ground.

Put a stopwatch on him and make sure he’s getting from first forward movement to front foot plant in about .90-.95 seconds. Then see if that keeps him from slowing down prematurely.

Take him off the mound.

If he is throwing 45 MPH his problem is NOT PITCHING. It is figuring out how to throw a baseball. Putting him on a mound and having him deal with stuff like throwing strikes and not embarrassing himself will occupy way too much of his brain.

Introduce him into some form of high-intensity throwing. Long toss is probably best for a kid like that. You can find a summary of how to do this on YouTube by searching for Alan Jaeger’s Long Toss program.

Focusing on overall mechanics and/or other stuff is borderline useless. He simply has no idea how to throw a baseball. So start there.