Newyorkmets5's Pitching Log

I decided that I should start a new log. I haven’t been on here in a while, but I will try to update this log regularly.

Here is a short bio

Weight:120
Height: 5’5’'
Pitches: 4 seam, curve
Velocity: 67 mph( I haven’t been gunned recently)

Short term goals:
Improve velocity to 70 mph by November 1.
Throw less than 15 pitches per inning
Work on a change up

Long term goals:
Make high school team
Get velocity to 80 mph by August 1, 2014

Plan:
Run for 15 min per day
Long toss 2 times per week
Eat right
Stretch every night
Do 75 push-ups per day

Our fall season has started already we have played 2 games. I started the first one, but didn’t pitch the second one. I pitched 4 innings; struck out 8 and walked 2. I didn’t use my curve much because I was overpowering the batters(we played a bad team). I noticed that my pick-off moves were terrible and that I need to gain more stamina.

I didn’t do much today because I didn’t want to be overtired for a couple tests tomorrow.

I did:
15 min. jogging
15 stair running
75 push-ups
75 sit-ups
Lat Pulldown 4x20 50 lbs. 3x20 60 lbs.

I don’t have much access to weights, so does anyone have a good substitute? I long toss 2-3 times per week during the season but I want to do more weight lifting. Also, does the lat pulldown help me or hurt me when it comes to pitching?

I started our game today against the same team we played last time. I pitched four innings, struck out 5, and walked nobody.

Positives: Kept pitch count low(about 65-75 pitches)
No walks
Negatives: Curve wasn’t very accurate
Velocity was down a bit

Lat pulldowns are great. The lats are used heavily in the pitching motion.
Pushups are good. Would prefer sprint work over jogging.
You need to remember to work both front side (chest, curls ect) and backside (lat pulldowns, pull ups, upper back). It is very common for guys to under train their back side.
I would like to see you add some rotator cuff exercises to help keep that cuff/shoulder healthy.
Explain how you do your longtoss routine.

[quote=“fearsomefour”]Lat pulldowns are great. The lats are used heavily in the pitching motion.
Pushups are good. Would prefer sprint work over jogging.
You need to remember to work both front side (chest, curls ect) and backside (lat pulldowns, pull ups, upper back). It is very common for guys to under train their back side.
I would like to see you add some rotator cuff exercises to help keep that cuff/shoulder healthy.
Explain how you do your longtoss routine.[/quote]

Thanks for the reply.
My long toss routine is 75-30 throws; 90-25 throws; 110-25 throws; 130-25 throws; 150-20 throws; 110-15 throws; 90-10 throws; 75-5 throws.
I will start to do some sprints along with the jogging. Should I do 40 yrd or 60 yrd?
Do you have any recommendations for rotator cuff exercises?

Really just cut out distance running all together, just stick with sprints. You’re pretty young so you just need to get a solid foundation of strength and athleticism. As for long toss, go as your arm feels, I wouldn’t really recommend set throws at a certain distance, if your arm feels good stretch it out, if not throw to where youre comfortable.

If you look online under Throwers Ten or look up Jaeger Band Exercises that will give you a good start in terms of shoulder exercises. If you have access to a light dumbbell (under 5 lbs) that is what you want to use with the Throwers Ten. It is very important to understand that these exercises are for the little muscles around the rotator cuff…you dont want to do these exercises with big weights. Also it is very, very important to pay attention to detail when doing these, making sure the arm is at the correct angle ect. so that you work the correct muscles.

I agree with what SeanBaseball said regarding running and long toss.
Baseball is a game (whether pitching, hitting or fielding) where there are fast explosive movements for short periods of time. Other than general cardio what purpose does moving slowly for a long period of time (jogging) serv in preparing the body to move quickly? It doesnt really.

There are different ways to do longtoss. I have always liked the Jaeger Longtoss routine. Again, you can find information online. When SeanBaseball talks about “stretching” your arm out he is talking about throwing for distance. Not in the sense of loading up and seeing how far you can throw. But, throwing with an arc on the ball. One day that may be 40 yards one day it might be 50 yards. It will increase with time and as you go. But, no matter how you do your longtoss (if you like your set number of throws, ok) when you are coming back in you want to make sure you are throwing hard. On a line (no arc) to your partner. You also want to make sure you are accurate with your throws. If the guy you are throwing to always has to take several steps either way to get the ball you need to address that. The most important thing (in my humble opinion) is that you throw consistantly. As you grow up even throwing 6 days a week is fine. For now, 3 or 4 days would be great. Doesnt have to be one way of doing longtoss or another, just be consistant and throw.

Another important thing is making sure you are well warmed up before starting to throw, even if it is just a 20 minute longtoss. Arm circles, the throwers ten a quick dynamic warm up, these should all be done before you touch a baseball to throw. My son (who is a freshman in college) does a quick dynamic warmup, sprints, medicine ball routine, arm circles, throwers ten, wrist weights THEN starts to throw. He likes to have a good sweat going before he throws. It doesnt have to be that involved but you dont want to be cold and just start throwing.

If you can have a parent pick up Tuff Cuff by Steven Ellis (the guy who started this site) it is a great guide regarding pitching workouts.

It is fantastic you are interested enough in your pitching that you want to do the extra work most guys your age cant be bothered with. Keep it up. Look up information and do research. Posting video on the mechanics part of this site is great as well. There are very knowledgable people in terms of mechanics that usually reply.

Thanks for the replies everyone.
I am going to try to include the Throwers Ten into my workouts.
I will start doing some sprints. Probably will do 15 60 yard sprints per day.
I also decided that I will do the Jaeger Long Toss Routine. I think that it will help me improve more that having a set plan.

Yesterday:
75 push-up
75 sit-up
15 60 yard sprints
10 min. throwing

Today:
100 push-up
100 sit-up
5 min plank
5 min side plank
Lat Pulldown: 2x20 40 lb., 2x20 50 lb., 2x20 60 lb.

Light day today.

50 push-up
100 sit-up
5 min. plank
5 min. side plank
Rotator cuff stretches

Yesterday we had a 5 inning scrimmage. I didn’t pitch, but went 2-2 and made a couple throws to 1st.

Today I long tossed. I got up to 170 feet today. Also did some rotator cuff stretches.

Pitched three innings today in our game. It was my worse out of the season. 6 strikeouts, 4 walks.

Positives:
Velocity was fine
Bounced back after a bad inning

Negatives:
Curveball was atrocious
Control was off
Gave up a couple hits on 0-2 counts

I have to work on getting my curveball down. It has been staying up in the zone and batters are pounding it.

Check your release point when throwing your curve ball (this would apply to your other pitches as well). What you want is a consistent release point. Also—what is your arm slot? I wonder if you might try dropping it to a low 3/4 or even sidearm; you might lose a bit of velocity at first but you would gain better control and command of your pitches. Give it a try and see what happens. 8)

To improve curve ball location, try bouncing a few then adjusting up. I always found it easier than making small down adjustments. Not sure I’d experiment with sidearm if you’ve never done it, but if you do, go slow with it. Your muscles are used to your current arm slot.

Push-ups and pull-ups are great if you don’t have access to weights. My son went from 11 pull-ups at age 11 (which was very good) to 28 pull-ups at age 13 and he’s gained 9 mph on his fast ball. He does more pull-ups than anyone in his school. He’s 5’6" and 135 pounds to give you a frame of reference. He’s very strong and has never lifted weights.

I recommend Long toss only to about the distance that you don’t have to change how you throw. It’s how hard you throw that matters, not how far. Distance mechanics are different than velocity mechanics.

Stick with the Jaeger program. When doing this program remember that the pull down phase is extremely important. Even more important is the pre throwing warm up.

Stick with the Jaeger program. When doing this program remember that the pull down phase is extremely important. Even more important is the pre throwing warm up.

Being able to throw a ball at a 45 degree launch angle over 300 feet is no better for velocity than throwing into a net 10’ in front of you with max intent using proper throwing mechanics and arm motion.

[quote=“CoachPaul”]To improve curve ball location, try bouncing a few then adjusting up. I always found it easier than making small down adjustments. Not sure I’d experiment with sidearm if you’ve never done it, but if you do, go slow with it. Your muscles are used to your current arm slot.

Push-ups and pull-ups are great if you don’t have access to weights. My son went from 11 pull-ups at age 11 (which was very good) to 28 pull-ups at age 13 and he’s gained 9 mph on his fast ball. He does more pull-ups than anyone in his school. He’s 5’6" and 135 pounds to give you a frame of reference. He’s very strong and has never lifted weights.

I recommend Long toss only to about the distance that you don’t have to change how you throw. It’s how hard you throw that matters, not how far. Distance mechanics are different than velocity mechanics.[/quote]

Thank you for the reply. I already long toss the way I pitch so I don’t change my mechanics.

Today:
75 pushups
100 situps
10 60 yard sprints
Throwers Ten stretches
10 min. Throwing

Also threw 15 curves today. The location was much better than yesterday’s. I’m going to say that the location issue was a fluke.

Didn’t do much today. I only threw for ten minutes and stretched out my legs.

Haven’t replied in a while.
Tuesday: Threw 10 min.
50 pushups
PFP
Wednesday: Threw 10 min.
50 pushups
100 situps
5 min. Plank
Today: Pitched 2 innings in our scrimmage today

Positives: Fastball had good velocity
Curve was better

Negatives: Control was bad.

I think I was opening up early because I was missing outside. My 1st inning was not good; I pitched to 6 batters and gave up a run. My second inning was better; I pitched 3 batters.

Overall:B-

I pitched 3 innings in relief today.

Positives: Control was good
Fastball was effective
Negatives: Lots of 1-0 counts

Overall: B+