Newbie wants to pitch

hello,
new guy here.

As the name implies i’m a slinger and to improve in my hobby I need to improve in throwing generally.

I haven’t grown in a baseball culture, so I don’t even know about basic stuff of the training of pitchers.

I’m 21 years old and I can throw @60mph a stone 50g(=1/3 the weight of a baseball) and I would like to improve that.
So here are some questions:

1. how young guys can throw faster than me?
    From charts I see that I throw as fast as a 12 year old :stuck_out_tongue:

2)what is the general/basic structure of training of a pitcher?
Particularly: how many throws/pitches are performed per year,month,week?
Is it important to throw daily or twice a week is enough?
Do pitchers take any break from throwing in the year?

1. how important are genetics to reach higher velocities like 90mph?
    Can an average person do it with correct training?

You mention hobby, and I assume baseball is, or will be, your hobby.

The questions that you’re asking are so far below the radar, that it’s very hard to approach your questions with any serious intent. I apologize up front for the negativity, but I know of no other way to approach your questions. Perhaps someone else here can do better justice to them then I can.

In any event, as a hobby, baseball is played for fun on any open lot, a public playground, and anywhere that can handle a bunch of guys and gals swing and clobber the daylights out of the ole horsehide, touching the bases made up of hubcaps, sofa cushions, trash can lids, and all this with fair and foul boundaries made up of trees, street corners, then a neighbor’s garage and so forth. Now we’re talking hobby, and as such, your abilities are kind of where they are - have fun, make some great friends, and enjoy the ride!.

Talking about self improvement for the sake of self improvement - with benchmarks, now we’re walking through the doors of serious training, dedicated training, time allotments for training, graphing our progress, coaching enhancements that brings all that training together.

I have no stake in publications of any kind, dedicated to serious training - however, you can find the start for that training by reading TUFFCUF, published by Steven Ellis - the host of this web site. Therein you’ll find all the answers for getting to where you want to go.

Thanks for the answer.
I don’t understand why the questions are far below the radar.

Since baseballers have achieved such high levels of performance I thought it would be a good idea to ask here. I like long tossing and self improvement , the closest to long toss is pitching (not javelin throwing,discus or hammer). From what I can see there is tremendous amounts of knowledge, research and experience in pitching . I can’t access this knowledge easily because having grown in another culture it is something don’t even know how to approach.

I don’t understand why the questions are far below the radar.

Language is supported by intent, thus when I read hobby I interpret that word to signify something other than a competitive environment in this sport. Tossing the ball around is good exercise, and a lot of fun. However, you want more than that, I assume, because you mentioned that you want to throw faster than a 12 year old. So, all in all, that combined with

I can’t access this knowledge easily because having grown in another culture it is something don’t even know how to approach.

I gave you a source for accessing knowledge by suggesting a publication called TUFFCUF, published by Steven Ellis. I even stated : “Therein you’ll find all the answers for getting to where you want to go”. Simply access that publication on this web site, or, simply use any search engine on the web to access it by title.

Combined with your other statements, as dynamic as they are, my statement “below the radar” suggests a multidirectional approach to help you that’s very unusual for someone your age. First off, considering your physical condition is kind of problematic with respect to advising you how to throw, then bringing that up to pitching condition. Throwing and pitching are at two extremes of the demands on the human body. Second, at 21 years of age, to be comparing yourself to a 12 year old’s ability instinctively has me reserving any kind of advice, again, because of your low grade physical condition. I realize that you might not want to actually compete as a pitcher, only wishing to exercise in the training routines. But again, I’m cautious of taking that route for you.

All in all, there are some expectations that anyone with even basic experience coaching pitchers would expect when offering advice. In your case, those expectations were missing - thus my phrase “below the radar.” Going one step further, I supported that phrase with my professional reasons. I apologized up front if that sounded rude and with any negativity, because of what I stated heretofore.

The best possible approach you could do, would be not to take advice, here or elsewhere, from those that know nothing about your physical condition, you health history and your lifestyle. Get the publication that I suggested, read it and determine for yourself how and when you should follow the basics outlined and go from there. There’s a section in that publication that covers nutrition and conditioning for high school pitchers and that section might be just the things that you’re looking for.

I’m gonna do a little research on the tuffcuff publication.

Although question 1 cannot be answered by a stranger, questions 2 and 3 seem pretty clear to me .

for example , question 3, only talented people reach such velocities or any average human being can do it with training and effort?

comparing pitching to running: not everyone is good for 100m run and not everyone is good for marathon, does the same apply to pitching? if yes what does the average achieve?

If I’m close to what an average man achieves then I should continue doing what I do , if I’m far behind average then I should look what I do wrong and fix it.

That’s the mentality behind my questions…

Questions 2 and 3 are dependent on question 1, and other things. That’s the mentality behind my answers.

You’ll find all you need in the publication that I suggested and thus you know you’re own limits for addressing questions 2 and 3, and beyond. That’s the safest and most responsible answer(s) that I as a Pitching Coach can offer you. I assume those are not the answers that you’re looking for, but again, I must guide myself by my experience and considering what’s best for you, from where I sit.

Your questions have been on this topic’s section for a while, so If others could chime in on what they think, perhaps a different vantage point may be very helpful for you. Just remember that there are limitations with this medium and the depth of advice one can offer. Those that will offer advice will do so with very good intentions. It’s up to you to sort out what works and what will not. Never take any advice - including mine, at face value. Unfortunately, you have little, if any, benchmark, to reason out any advice given your limited exposure to this topic that you’ve asked about.

However, you seem aware of certain facts as they stand with regards to your own physical makeup and what you’re looking for - and that’s a good thing. That ability alone will service you well for building a knowledge base on your questions. I only wish that I could help you further.

I wish you well with your progress and enjoyment of this sport.

take a look at Pitch Smart guidelines for arm usage and follow those. USA Baseball has lots of helpful links and exercises that will help you train. Have fun.