Newbie change-up question

What are the main differnece’s between a 3-finger change and a circle change? Which would you recommend?

Thanks a lot! :smiley:

Well the circle change is the basic and center-fold of all change ups.

The 3 finger change, I believe is just a variation.

I recommend to try the regular the circle change first. Some people say the circle change gets more movement than regular changes.

If you don’t like it ( like I do ) , try the 3- finger change.

I don’t like the circle change either.

I find it hard to find control.

The 3 finger change is where u just grip it like a fastball with 3 fingers. This one can be thrown accurately, BUT i find that the difference in speed from the fastball is not great.

So, i like to throw the straight change… this is where you have your middle and ring fingers on top of the ball and your index and pinky fingers on the side. Most people will tell you to place your fingers on the seams for which ever fastball you throw the most( For example i throw a 2 seam the most so i place my middle two fingers along the 2 seams) because you want the spin to look just like your fastball, therefore adding to the deceit of the batter. I also get good movement with this pitch down and away from righties(i’m a lefty)

3finger-index, middle and ring on top

circle-ring and middle on top…index and thumb make a circle on the side

circle change

[quote]Well the circle change is the basic and center-fold of all change ups.

The 3 finger change, I believe is just a variation.

I recommend to try the regular the circle change first. Some people say the circle change gets more movement than regular changes.

If you don’t like it ( like I do ) , try the 3- finger change.[/quote]

a circle change is a variation of the straight change

as you progress as a picher the straight change will get harder to throw

[quote]I don’t like the circle change either.

I find it hard to find control.

The 3 finger change is where u just grip it like a fastball with 3 fingers. This one can be thrown accurately, BUT i find that the difference in speed from the fastball is not great.

So, i like to throw the straight change… this is where you have your middle and ring fingers on top of the ball and your index and pinky fingers on the side. Most people will tell you to place your fingers on the seams for which ever fastball you throw the most( For example i throw a 2 seam the most so i place my middle two fingers along the 2 seams) because you want the spin to look just like your fastball, therefore adding to the deceit of the batter. I also get good movement with this pitch down and away from righties(i’m a lefty)[/quote]

the 3 finger change is a straight change

you throw a modified circle change(circle change with no circle)

the circle change grip is meant to take off speed like all other changes
the index finger on the side makes you lose velocity
you have to feel like your throwing a fastball with your middle and ring fingers