New wannabe pitcher

Well I have a love for basketball and football, and play as much as I can. I recently started watching baseball and im hooked. Befor I watched maybe 10 red sox games a year, now I’m already finding myself not only watching the red sox, but also other teams as well.

So my friend Alan, who plays baseball for my HS, wanted me to play this year. I declined since I had never played befor in my life, but me and a few other would mess around at the diamond near my house. I try to pitch the ball so that my friends can hit, and my accuracy is horrable, maybe I’ve been throwing a football to long. But I want to be a pitcher next year for my HS team, which I hope isn’t an unrealistic goal for have never played.

I don’t know much about pitching mech’s or tech’s, other than what I have read on this board. I am wondering if anyone could share what they did when they first started out pitching, or anything really.

find a good pitching instructor if your serious about it. You should have some good arm strength from tossing a football but you gotta learn the mechanics first.

I don’t play quarterback so im not sure if I do have good arm strength, but im thinking I can aquire that.

and about this pitching instructor, where would I go about finding one. Thank You for the help so far lhp

the arm strength will come with the more you throw. To find a pitching coach im sure a lot of people on here know of many but search the internet for one in your area or ask around to other players and coaches of any good ones. Just remember to not rush things and dont get discouraged if you dont succeed right away pitching will test u mentally. I think its great that your willing to do these things to learn and dont let other players put you down. Remember the players your gonna be going up against have many yrs of experience on you so your gonna have to make up for it by working harder and being more dedicated than ne of them. Good luck with everything and keep asking questions on here we’ll help you the whole way through!!

I wouldnt search the internet. Anyone can call themselves an expert. If you are truly serious about wanting to be a great pitcher, go to the head baseball coach and ask his opinion. That way he will know that you are dedicated, and he probably knows some of the best and most experienced instructors in your area (those guys all know one another).

Think about it this way: You dont have any ingrained bad habits to break yet, so you’re ahead of the game :smiley:

Go the high school baseball coach and tell him of your interest and your willingness to work at being a pitcher. Not everyone has the ability to be a pitcher and he should be able to evaluate you from scratch and be honest with you. If he sees some possibilities, he will work with you or find someone to work with you. If he does not see pitching ability, pitching isn’t everything and there are other positions.

I actually taught myself to pitch…
Two years before I started playing, all i did was read pitching books, research on the internet, perform drills and mechanics etc.
For two years every afternoon I would go outside in my backyard and pitch against a wall, going through each movement, teaching myself new pitches.
It was hard, but when the time came to start my first season I had learned so much. Even my coach said that during my first season I had packed 8 years of baseball knowledge into one season, and that was because of all my hard work beforehand.
In my first season I was only given 2 innings to pitch (because I was a rookie), my second season I got about 17 innings. Then in my third, well…my stats are in my signature…average, but ok…plus, because Im in U18’s those stats aren’t necessarily reflective of how well I pitched…

I was in your exact same position. Throughout highschool I played only basketball. I loved baseball but couldn’t play because I played on multiple AAU basketball teams in the summer. Once i got to college i really started working on becoming a pitcher. I made friends with a kid who was great highschool pitcher and he really helped me out. Im a junior now and this spring i tried out for our competitive club baseball team who plays in the National Club Baseball Association and made the team as a reliever. Its never too late to become a pitcher, just find yourself a mentor and listen to everything he says. If you bust your butt and are willing to put in the time then there is no reason why you can’t pitch. Within two years of training i went from throwing upper 60’s to mid 80’s.

First, the key to velocity isn’t arm strength. It’s getting the hips rotating well before the shoulders.

Second, some guys whose motions you ought to consider emulating are…

• Zach Duke
  • Freddy Garcia
  • Roy Halladay
  • Scott Kazmir
  • Greg Maddux
  • Roy Oswalt
  • Nolan Ryan

I have breakdowns of their motions on my web site…

Thank You for all the replies. My friends dad played single a ball and taught me how to throw the ball better. He says throwing the ball will develope my arm strength. Im wanting to work really hard on developing these next 3 months and playing on a fall team in august.

Just wondering on days where im by myself, is it beneficial to go out to a field and just practise pitching the ball to really no one, but trying to aim for a strike?

Yes.

Control is much more important than velocity.

any chance you have throw. if you go out to a mound with a thing of balls and just practice throwing make it fun just like when your a lil kid pretend your in a game with a hitter at the plate. heck when i was younger my dad set up a tire swing with a big net behind it and i would go out there all the time and throw. just throw and remember that its a game and have a lil fun with it

Tom Seaver used to go out by himself and throw to a chainlink fence. He creditted a lot of his success to developing his accuracy that way.

Thanx so far for all the replies.

I went out and played with a friend and the accuracy was there, but I don’t think the velocity was.

the velocity will come it takes a little time just be patient and develop your pitching and youll be fine.