New Videos (Take A Look!)

I just recently took new videos of me pitching. They’re a lot better quality than the last videos. I also put more effort into these videos (cleats, newer ball, and I put more effort in my pitches). Well I hope you have guys enjoy the videos and please tell me what you think or recommend.

Fastball (First Base View)

Fastball (Batters View)

Fastball 2 (Batters View)

I like this video better than the first for some reason…

12-6 Curveball

This is my strikeout pitch. This video is better than the other one and this pitch really helps me have a lot of success. It has a pretty good break on it but I get a better break from the mound believe it or not…

*All videos are from 60’ 6".

Please feel free to tell me what you think…

Wood old boy I’m not a mech guru like some of our other posters, but I’d like you to go back and look at your clips, your body is out of balance throughout your motion. What this does is make spot consistancy almost impossible.
Have you ever had a lesson? If you haven’t I’d strongly recommend that you get a few. If you don’t have instructors around where you live look into local colleges, they have clinics fairly regularly.
You (And I mean you nothing but good for you) have way too much violence in your motion, your body is fighting itself for balance until you finally stop moving, this is a ticket to injury. Try simplifying what you are doing to the point in which you feel smoother, thats smooth not slo-motion (Don’t lean back when you do your knee lift…stuff like that). It would appear with all of that motion/momentum that you think this will give you velocity, what it will give you is a messed up shoulder/elbow.
Good Luck to you, you have the work ethic and desire, just now you should look to get those mechs under control, you’ll be so surprised at how it makes you more accurate and allows you to pitch so many more innings before you get tired, what will be most surprising to you is that your velocity will noticably improve.

Wooddell89,

Have you actually worked on anything since the previous videos and comments? If not, then I have no new comments for you.

I do suggest using a tripod or setting the video camera on a solid object instead of having someone hold the camera - too much motion.

I won’t try to improve upon the things jdfromfla described. He noted some important things very well. Pay heed to what he said!!!

I will add one different thing, though. That’s about the arm motion coming through. It’s a “big wheel” type motion. With closer video (definitely do that), and frame by frame analysis, I’d guess (that’s all I can do with what we have to work with) that there is very little bend at the elbow and you don’t get to full external rotation (forearm laid back to horizontal as the shoulders square to the target). These videos show a “hand grenade” toss kind of arm action. Long arming to a high degree.

Take all of this with a grain of salt, though. The video quality is not conducive to accurate analyses.

Thanks for you opinions guys. I won’t be posting anymore videos on here anymore. I knew deep down I probably shouldn’t have made the effort posted these. It just seems like noone has anything positive to say. Nope I’ve never been to a pitcing clinic. I usually get tendonitis if I throw to much but I thought this was normal but then again it’s probably do to my violent mechanics. Sorry I don’t have tripod also, I did my best. I don’t throw like I’m throwing a grenade even though it may look like it. Also I don’t think the camera motion messed up your ability to see my pitches.

So, what were you actually expecting?

Man, cut the kid a break. Balance or not he has a nice curve, if it ain’t broke don’t fix it…I like the vids. He is the one of few to post a video of his-self. I’d like to see a video of one of you guys doing these mechanics that you preach about. Cut him some slack…He has a pretty decent velocity also…and some nice movement on that curveball.

you don’t have to post it on here to get good feedback, ask your mom if she thinks your fastball goes fast and your curveball drops. you can’t ask for good comments when posting on here because why would you show us your mechanics if you had the best? you want something to improve and telling you your curveball drops a lot isn’t going to help you much.

yeah you’re right, I’m probably the only pitcher on here with flaws, That’s why I’m one of the few who posted a video. I’m sure you have great mechanics and can throw faster than me. That’s why you don’t post yourself pitching right?

nah, i’m not lucky like you are and i don’t have a camera to film my mechanics and ask for some free comments about what’s wrong with it so I can actually improve myself.

[quote=“WhiteSox101”]Man, cut the kid a break. Balance or not he has a nice curve, if it ain’t broke don’t fix it…I like the vids. He is the one of few to post a video of his-self. I’d like to see a video of one of you guys doing these mechanics that you preach about. Cut him some slack…He has a pretty decent velocity also…and some nice movement on that curveball.[/quote]He posted video for what reason then? So people could compliment him? I don’t think so. If we can’t describe what he needs to work on, how can we help him? He’s looking to improve and I give him all the credit in the world for being brave enough to post video of himself and open himself up like this. The advice he got from people here is sincere. Take it or leave it. It’s what we see. It’s also just our “opinions”. Nothing more.

Here’s a fact, not a criticism. The videos aren’t the best for what we’re trying to do here. If that’s all he can get, then we’ll have to do the best with what we’ve got. Just take it with a “grain of salt”, as I said before. Closer video with the ability to step frame by frame would be ideal but it doesn’t sound like that is possible. Is that criticism? No. It’s just our observation.

I have been leaning back for a while now and it has really helped me with my velocity I think. What’s so wrong about leaning back? I changed my delivery and everything after my Varsity season heading into summer league. It seems to help me…

what actually helped me alot recently was to keep my back real straight all the way. control wise and velocity wise.

speaking leanback,

warren spahn wasn’t the only one to leanback to the extreme and that didn’t stop him on control and speed (throwing high 80s)

“Please feel free to tell me what you think…”

So this wasn’t a true statement? Perhaps you should have said, “Compliment me or shut up”.

Now I want you to do back and look at my post…go on do it. Find me a spot where you were put down or picked on or made to feel bad. IT’S NOT THERE!!
What I noted I noted to attempt to assist you in developing as a pitcher. I care not to belittle children, I don’t post here to do anything but help.
White Sox you are out of line in a big way.

What is wrong with recommending that he get lessons and explaining how he may go about it?

How is it not cutting him slack to point out that that much violence in his motion puts him in jeapody of injury?

How is wishing him well and explaining the benefits of learning to control his mechanics anything but helpful?

To answer your question Woodell moving your head as you lean back makes it much more difficult to be accurate, with any consistancy at all. Just try to accurately do anything with your head moving around…much less pitch to a spot.

yeah you’re right, I’m probably the only pitcher on here with flaws, That’s why I’m one of the few who posted a video. I’m sure you have great mechanics and can throw faster than me. That’s why you don’t post yourself pitching right?

Man! Get over yourself! Poor me! I didn’t get a zillion compliments and now I’m all put out. My mechanics are those of a 46 yr old man who has taught baseball for over 20 years.

Being childish when about constructive criticism will net you nothing. What do you do when your High School coach tells you something? Is he being mean? Picking on you? Or attempting to get you better.
I would suggest as you get older that you learn that folks can, without being mean, make suggestions to you and it would be in your own best interests to NOT take offense when YOU are the very person asking for those same suggestions.
I will tell you this buddy and not comment on another of your threads.
College coaches will never accept your motion because of it’s violence, they cannot no matter how good your curve is or if you are fast, why? Because that violence equates to injury and they cannot afford to expend time and effort on a guy that is very likely to injure himself.
I am sorry you feel I was not being nice to you, my intentions were honest and meant to help.

4pie, nice pic. Warren didn’t post his video and ask for comments…
I was watching Steve Carlton pitch the other day on ESPN classics, he would have more than likely been criticized for too much motion in his delivery also. Times and pitching philosophy change.

I hope I get to eat my hat and get to watch all of the kids that post on this site pitch in the majors. 8) That would be a hoot for me!

[quote=“Roger”]Wooddell89,

Have you actually worked on anything since the previous videos and comments? If not, then I have no new comments for you.[/quote]

I can now see how my comment above may have been misinterpretted to mean I was implying he’s made no improvement since his last videos. That’s not what I meant. I was only asking if he had actually worked on anything in particular so I’d know what to focus on. I did provide comments on his previous videos and if he hadn’t really worked on anything since then, there would be little value in analyzing the new videos which, by the way, usually takes me 20-40 minutes of my time.

Like I said, it could be a tripod or any solid object - maybe a chair or a cardboard box. When we’re looking for things like head movement, having the video bouncing around because the camera was being held by hand makes things more difficult. Yet this is easly resolved simply by placing the camera on a solid object. It doesn’t have to be a tripod.

It also can lead to opening the shoulders early which will rob velocity and will cause you to put more stress on your arm because you’ll throw more with just the arm. That can lead to injury.

[quote]I will tell you this buddy and not comment on another of your threads.
College coaches will never accept your motion because of it’s violence, they cannot no matter how good your curve is or if you are fast, why? Because that violence equates to injury and they cannot afford to expend time and effort on a guy that is very likely to injure himself.
I am sorry you feel I was not being nice to you, my intentions were honest and meant to help.[/quote]

Only injury I have ever had was tendonitis from having to pitch game after game. I mentioned elbow popping in another post and that only happens when I bench press. So you don’t actually pitch? Hey, maybe I won’t make the college team? Who knows? I guess we’ll find out spring of 2008, that’s if I play as a freshman I reckon’. Also my high school coach doesn’t really complain about my mechanics, and yes I do listen to them. They’re a pretty positive group of coaches.

take it with a grain of salt kid. i wish i could post a video. i have a camera but i dont have the wires needed to transfer them. but yea …relax and find a way to get better video while i figure out a way to put my mechanics on here. i dont think anybody has got perfect mechanics. and btw we arent looking at your video to compliment your curveball. we were watching it to review your mechanics. the only reason to look at the curveball would to see if its consistent with your fastball mechanics. and even if your cureball is good it doesnt matter if your mechanics suck. ive seen plenty of kids with horrible mechancs throw a sick deuce. yea your mechanics arent very good (not saying mine are perfect). find someone that can help you. its not that hard. now stop complaining…