New Video

Im open to any advice or suggestions. I tried making the mound bigger from where it was (havent finished it yet its a work in progress) and I’ve also worked on curling the glove in towards my body on the follow through.

Thanks for your help

New video- http://s69.photobucket.com/albums/i59/michael1314/?action=view&current=100_1687.flv

OLD video- http://s69.photobucket.com/albums/i59/michael1314/?action=view&current=pitching3-1.flv

Beside the curling of the glove, which you already said you’re working on, the only thing that I don’t like is your leg swing. Also notice how your toe points to the sky. You should be lifting your leg straight up with a relaxed foot. Other than that, you look good from what I see.

As you step behind on the first step, your body weight shifts to another point. Try stepping forwards instead of backwards so you keep the weight on your “release leg” until you break.

Nice move though…

[quote=“4Joram”]As you step behind on the first step, your body weight shifts to another point. Try stepping forwards instead of backwards so you keep the weight on your “release leg” until you break.[/quote]4Joram, can you describe this another way, please? I’m not getting the picture.

What do you mean by “release leg”

Try separating your hands a tad earlier, see if it helps.

Thanks for the help but as dm said could you try explaining that another way I’m not sure I’m getting what you’re trying to say.

Is there anything else that you guys notice that I could improve or work on? :?:

no video when i click on link

Sorry about that, here is a link to the video on youtube.

What do you mean by this? I don’t think you need to curl the glove and you certainly shouldn’t pull the glove to your body. Instead you should take your chest to the glove.

I do think you could use a bit more stability in the glove arm. The only other thing I would comment on is maybe starting your hips forward a bit sooner. It’s hard to tell from th camera angle if you’re already doing this or not.

Other than that, I think you look pretty good as far as I can tell - the camera angle isn’t the best. I prefer side and front angles but not the half-way-in-between angle.

… is very upsetting to me when I see what “I” consider very poor advice being given to young players who are putting their heart and soul into trying to get better.

This player has some of the better throwing mechanics that I’ve seen on this website. And probably has the best physical ability that I’ve seen on this website (arm action, external-internal rotation, intent to throw).

If what I see is a result of “curling the glove toward your body” then keep doing it. curling the glove in itself is not a significant factor but if it results in the symmetry between throwing-glove arm then keep doing it.

My opinion is that this is poor advice because this player exhibits very good throwing-glove arm symmetry, i.e. the throwing arm and the glove arm mirror each other which is a characteristics of high-level throwing mechanics.

Again more poor vice, my opinion. The purpose of the leg lift is to prepare the body to throw. Ideally the leg lift does two things it helps to load the core of the body. Also if done properly it creates momentum which then can be used as the player goes into foot plant. But the key here is that you have to take the momentum out of that leg before foot plant i.e. land softly i.e. landing softly is the same as taking the momentum are the front leg and transferring it upwards.

As stated this is very poor advice. Nolan Ryan took a rocker step backwards in preparation to throw. Most high-level players take a step either backward to the side ( first base side for a right-handed thrower). My advice is to keep doing what you’re doing. As far as keeping the weight on your release leg, I don’t think so. In actuality what you want to do is you want to lead with the hip and allow the hip to move out from under the upper body. Also known as keeping your weight back. But the only thing that you keep back is an attempt to keep the shoulders from getting too far ahead ( rushing).

My question is “helps what”? If you look at high level (hard throwers) many of them are exceptionally quick from handbrake to release of the ball. Again this has to do with loading and unloading specifically the upper body. Separating the hands sooner potentially leads to dragging and/or inefficient use of the loading and unloading process.

Disagree ( so what else is new?). Hard throwers create horizontal abduction ( pinching if you will) of the shoulders. This creates not only loading of the upper body but also adds extended range of motion. As the ball is being released you want to do just the opposite i.e. what is technically called horizontal abduction whereby you pinch the shoulder blades forwards ( the opposite of pinching them backwards). This pulling of the shoulder blades back together again creates additional rotation of the shoulder joint which is important for creating whip effect. Attempting to pull the chest to the glove has the real danger of creating a linear pitcher.

I hate the word stability as it implies doing nothing. Throwing hard is a violent action. There must be controlled violence in what the lead arm doing because the lead arm contributes to developing usable momentum. I don’t see any problem with this players lead down action. Basically you want to think of it as a spinning action of the upper body in that the path of movement of the lead arm clears the way for the throwing arm, i.e. moves in the same plane as the rotation of the upper body.

Where I see this player has the ability to create significant improvement is in developing better rotation of the hips as he is going into foot plant. Currently he is leaping into foot plant which creates more of a catapulting (somersaulting) action of the upper body. Catapulting does not create the same rotational momentum as rotating around the front hip joint. One of the best examples of good rotation around the front hip joint can be seen in the player who posted as bballboy24. and if you look at hard throwing pitchers such as Pedro Martinez, Tim Lincecum, Justin Verlander, Zumaya, etc, they are heading towards first-base after they release the ball which is an indication of rotation around the front hip joint as opposed to catapulting toward home plate.

Velocity and movement are a result of creating whipping effect. Whipping effect is created by explosive rotation of the shoulders around the spine causing harm to act like a whip. Both strength and mechanics are required to create this whipping effect. mdorioles13 has much of this in place what is lacking is developing greater usable rotation into foot plant as opposed to leaping into foot plant.

http://letstalkpitching.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=4480

And just for the record it is also my OPINION that Asjdfromfla is a pompous a** who, from what I’ve observed in his posts, places far greater value on protecting his private little sandbox (this forum) i.e. places far greater value on “form” (his incessant attempts at “cleverness”) but has added very little substance (actual information that will help a player) to these discussions as demonstrated by his response to my post in the above thread.

And as with all posts on these websites simply my opinions…

Listen to coachxj or do what Mo does, your choice…

http://www.pitchingclips.com/players/mariano_rivera.htm

btw coach, you may want to add fiber to your diet :x

Wow thanks a ton for your guys help. Also I am sorry if you guys got the wrong idea from when i said “curling” my glove. I couldn’t think of a better way to describe bringing my glove to my chest instead of just letting it drop down and swing back. Sorry if you may have got the wrong idea from that.

"And just for the record it is also my OPINION that Asjdfromfla is a pompous a** who, from what I’ve observed in his posts, places far greater value on protecting his private little sandbox (this forum) i.e. places far greater value on “form” (his incessant attempts at “cleverness”) but has added very little substance (actual information that will help a player) to these discussions as demonstrated by his response to my post in the above thread. "

The last refuge of a weak argument is insult
I’ve never called you anything, I’ve shown you respect and simply asked that you contribute with your expertise instead of your obvious nasty, negative, desperation to get someone to pay attention to you by slamming others who also contribute (Gee I join the auspitious ranks of Tom House and Mike Marshall and Dick Mills…perhaps I should be honored). No wonder you can’t get a good discussion going on your site.
I’ll let everyone else judge…I make no claim of particular expertise, I love baseball and helping kids (Some may differ with your cynical opine but it matters not to me, my heart is right, I also acknowledge my less than ultimate knowledge…regularly), this site does so by not ripping but by trying to help, which is why I try my best to defend it…but it isn’t all about me friend, its about the kids…sorry you had your little feelings hurt. Grow Up!
And I reiterate my warning to you. Stay positive or get off.

I apologise to the forum for moving off of the op.

Hang in there JD … it’s cheap entertainment if nothing else !