New Video

Here is a video that I would like feedback for.

I see the following things that I want to improve in:

-pace-intent-especially in my early part of my leg lift

-longer stride, which I believe is tied in with the above

-staying closed a little bit longer

Here is the video

I did some drill work the other day. I went really slow through my mechanics and really focused on staying closed. Here are the results of that.

Let me know what you think, thanks!

I think you do a lot of good things, mechanics-wise. So, overall it looks good. One thing I would suggest you focus on is at the very start – during your leg lift, avoid the big tilt back over the rubber. Notice how your shoulders are not level as you move through your delivery. It is causing you to move “uphill” instead of downhill. Yes, you eventually get them level but all of your energy should be directed straight toward the plate. By keeping your shoulders level, you will likely fix a lot of other minor flaws, like the throwing hand getting too close to your head at the high-cocked position, as well as getting your head further out in front of your landing leg at/after release.

It is my belief that a lot of young pitchers these days are doing this big tilt thing at the beginning of their deliveries because they are so inundated with the “Hershiser Drill” suggestion. Unfortunately, this is causing a big disconnect between the upper and lower body in the delivery. In my opinion, the “leading with the hip” thing is over-rated and does not necessarily create better lower body action. Sure, if someone is falling forward from the shoulders, then, yes, teach him to keep the nose over the belly button and move the entire mass as one unit, but to teach kids to force out the front hip and tilt the entire body back is not a great cue, in my opinion.

Jim it appears to me that your glove side is causing you to open too soon. I would like to see you extend the glove longer and not bring it to your chest so quickly.

Your stride looks fine, your finish looks ok. I personally would like to see your back flatter at finish extending more to the plate.

thanks for the feedback!

Jim, I really think you would benefit from backward chaining. If I may, I would suggest your start in your stride position and work on the finish first. Then proceed to starting from your balance point at knee lift. Finally, all the way through.

The reason I like to use these drills with my guys is they get the isolated feel beginning with their finish and building on that.

Paul offered to work with him. As far as I know, he did not take up the offer.

There’s still something about your arm action that seems off to me I can’t quite put my finger on it though.

Generally speaking, his legs are disconnected from his arm - His legs should be dictating the “tempo” or whatever - Here he is controlling his arm separately of his legs, core (hips?), or whathaveyou.

I took what he said and worked on, which is a big reason why my arm has ER right now.

I don’t post all the drills that I do, which doesn’t mean I don’t use the backward chaining. Much of my throwing progression/warm is just that.

My focus before was the later part of my arm action and its external rotation. Now that I have that down consistently. I want to focus on the next or I guess previous part of my motion which is my position at foot plant.

If you think it should be something different, please then let me know.

It was hard to continue to work with Paul because he stopped replying to my PM’s.

I agree, I believe whatever it is, the small hitch or something, is attached to my posture and my early rotation. I don’t believe that whatever it is a major issue though because I still get good ER. And I think as I work on my position at foot plant it will look better.

I like my arm action in my drill work video, I think that’s what I need to shoot for in my full go mech’s

Maybe it is something that will be natural to me and won’t change. It’s not something I’m too concerned about.

I actually do both of the things you have suggested, I just don’t post the videos on here. I post videos of when I try to put it all together. I use those different things to help warm up, and to progressive into my pitching.

The reason I like to use these drills with my guys is they get the isolated feel beginning with their finish and building on that.

Let me know if you guys agree with my focuses now which I will re post below:

These are in not particular order.

I lost contact with Paul in the summer, but he started me on the path that helped me to get ER into motion

I hope I cleared up any confusion that there might be!

I took what he said and worked on, which is a big reason why my arm has ER right now.

I don’t post all the drills that I do, which doesn’t mean I don’t use the backward chaining. Much of my throwing progression/warm is just that.

My focus before was the later part of my arm action and its external rotation. Now that I have that down consistently. I want to focus on the next or I guess previous part of my motion which is my position at foot plant.

If you think it should be something different, please then let me know.

It was hard to continue to work with Paul because he stopped replying to my PM’s.

I agree, I believe whatever it is, the small hitch or something, is attached to my posture and my early rotation. I don’t believe that whatever it is a major issue though because I still get good ER. And I think as I work on my position at foot plant it will look better.

I like my arm action in my drill work video, I think that’s what I need to shoot for in my full go mech’s

Maybe it is something that will be natural to me and won’t change. It’s not something I’m too concerned about.

I actually do both of the things you have suggested, I just don’t post the videos on here. I post videos of when I try to put it all together. I use those different things to help warm up, and to progressive into my pitching.

Let me know if you guys agree with my focuses now which I will re post below:

These are in not particular order.

I lost contact with Paul in the summer, but he started me on the path that helped me to get ER into motion

I hope I cleared up any confusion that there might be!

[quote]-pace-intent-especially in my early part of my leg lift

-staying closed a little bit longer [/quote]

Jim,

-Your pace intent looks ok. I personally would like to see you get a bit higher with your leg kick and start with your hands a little higher to get more momentum in your arm swing.

-Your stride looks long enough to me

-you could stay closed a bit longer. I watched the video over and over and what I really see is that it appears to me, you have little weight transfer to the plate. It really looks like you’re holding on your back side leg.

I think that what Wales is talking about in your arm action. I’m not analyzing anything for him, but just what I see.

I see what you’re saying, turn 22.

I think that weight shift could be related to my intent and could be improved by improving that.

I’m going to play around with it a little bit.

Thanks for the feedback!

My suggestion for the three things you should work on first:

1. As I said, fix the tilt – this is the reason why you are not getting the proper drive to the plate. As your hips move forward, your torso is moving backward; that is the disconnect. Move your entire mass as one toward the plate.

2. Get your arms stretched out - the short-arming is okay; you don’t have to have a really long or straight throwing arm. But you do need to get stretched out a bit more - you can do it just by correcting the glove side arm/hand. Push the glove out toward the target and then tuck it into your hip - your pitching arm/hand will react accordingly.

3. Staying sideways longer is as simple as keeping your glove side foot sideways until you get your back leg fully extended. Once you get the proper weight shift and leg drive (see #1), you drive the back leg until full extension and just before landing, turn the front foot. This is also easier to do when you get the glove out further (see #2).

Jimster, what did you change to try to stay closed longer?

I do see you planting on your heel in the 1st video and on your toe in the 2nd video. was that something intentional or a consequence of changing something else?

In the 2nd video, your glove arm doesn’t get to an “equal and opposite” position with the throwing arm. The throwing arm extends back further than the glove arm extends forward. This makes the glove arm too quick and leads to early shoulder rotation. Make the glove arm match the throwing arm and you’ll buy some more time for the shoulders to stay closed.

Your lower body mechanics are odd. It looks like you are trying to force hip rotation and are trying to reach with your front leg to stride longer. Instead, as thinktank would say, you need to focus on moving your center of gravity. Not your individual front leg but your torso (where your center of gravity should be over). Move your torso forward and then as you swing (not push) your front leg into foot plant, your hips would open by themselves, your front leg will stiffen automatically and because you are focusing on moving your torso it will use that momentum to catapult you over your front leg. I think this could improve your arm action as well.

Just my 2 cents:

-to me it seems like you start ok with your lower half, but upper half and lower half do appear disconnected. perhaps because you’re focusing so much on mechanics.

-your stride length it ok, but there’s no real back leg drive and your hips dont open into front foot plant. see how your back foot is just stuck there until front foot plant? as Tur22 mentioned, you look like your back leg is weighing you down, holding you back. i think this likely comes down to intent. get some footage of you throwing the heck out of the ball and see if the back foot looks any different. here’s what you tend to see with most hard throwers.

-your arm action looks a little forced, pushing vs. catapulting and extending. but i think better than previous clips i’ve seen.

-also, regarding the “tilt” or leading with the hips. I dont see an issue with how you’re moving in this regard. I don’t advocate the idea of pushing your front hip out or purposefully tilting back, but if you get your hips and center of gravity moving towards home plate early (as you see with most big league pitchers), you’ll likely have some shoulder tilt. some examples, doesn’t seem to have hurt these guys.

Phil,

I agree with you that the hips should not be pushed out, but the tilt that is created in the op’s case is because the hips are pushed out and there is the disconnect. The pics you posted all show tilt but all of these guys will tilt later on in the delivery, which is okay, in my opinion.

gotcha, that makes sense. Think we fundamentally agree then. Sticking the front hip out without building momentum doesn’t do any good. I guess I just don’t see the tilt/leading with the hips to be that big of an issue in the videos he posted as he does seem to be gaining some ground towards home plate rather than just sinking over his back foot and sticking his hips out. But you may be right, perhaps less tilt early on would lead to better forward momentum.

The thing that stands out to me after watching the top video again is the combination of a soft landing leg/knee, and a back leg that looks like dead weight. More powerful back leg drive late along with bracing up better with the front leg are the areas I’d focus on.

And in the end, all of these issues might be addressed through better intent.