New video-Winkelman's mechanics

I also posted these in my online pitching journal, but I figured they belonged in here as well.

I feel like I need to get my arm slot much lower. I also believe that I need to move slower into my front foot land because my weight is sifting forward to fast, causing my arm to lag and for me to rush.

Let me know what you think. Any comments/suggestions are more than welcome. Thanks!

Personally. I really like your mechanics. The only think you need to work on is keeping your shoulders closed longer. Your arm slot is great. It is much harder to hit pitches coming at a downward angle. I also wouldn’t try to slow yourself down because you would be restricting your power source. Your quickness tells me that you are agile and have good strength in your core area. From your video it looks like you try to use your legs to drive yourself through the delievery. So to help keep your shoulder closed you want to seperate your upper half from your lower half to get that “seperation” or core torque that people talk about these days. To do this, when you get to the point of where your getting your maximum leg drive try to keep that front shoulder (left shoulder) pointed at the target and add weight, or pull your back shoulder (right shoulder) towards second base. I think this will help you will some control. Hopefully some others on the site will have some helpful hints for you.

I’m not an expert, but I noticed something that may be of interest on your lack of hip-torso separation. It seems that when you land, your right arm is not even parallel to the ground, and thus, it is still not ready to rotate your shoulders and throw. However, your glove-side arm seems to already be pulling your shoulders open early. It may be the reason you are opening up early. Have you had problems with your GS before?

The only problem that I have had with my glove side is when I separated my hands my glove side block my face. I have been trying to separate my should and hip rotation. Do you guys have any tips or drills to how I can do that. I had been trying to go slower and I believe it has allowed me to keep my weight back back and when I go quick I feel like my lead leg gets going to home to soon, so most of my weight is not on my back leg. So when I come forward there’s a big thump with my front foot. My brother noted that I was much more quiet when I was trying to keep my weight back and I was also striding out further. So I don’t know. I think from watch other people I feel like they wait until the last possible moment to move quick.

For a drill to help seperation I would try something like holding a broom stick over my shoulders and and keep the ends pointed directly at a target and go through your motion to where you can feel that stretch in your core area.
I do know what you mean by the lead leg going too soon because this is one of my biggest problems. When that lead leg starts to go, you are starting to open up that front hip which steals power from your leg drive and slows down the hip rotation. What I did to fix this was lifting my lead leg, holding it there, and then starting my motion with my drive leg. This insured me that I was keeping all my weight on my backside and that I was keeping my hips closed. I eventually got to the point where I could do this all in one motion. What you said about watching pitchers and that they are going slow and at the last second they move quickly. I think what you are seeing is how a pitcher is able to hold that load on his back leg and keep the hips closed and at the last second everything is exploding. Keep working though, you are definitely on the right track!

Thanks! And that is exactly what I was thinking about the pitchers videos.

comments, tips, advice welcome! please and thanks you!

I will keep putting new videos in this post, instead of making a new one every time I make a video. So please see my new videos when I make a new post. Thanks!

Sorry about the the low quality of the camera man! :stuck_out_tongue:

I was looking at the side video in slow motion and I noticed that my arm is not up in the power L or whatever you want to call it position when my foot lands. I noticed that is the opposite for Tim Lincecum and Craig Kimbrel. They both have their arm much higher than i do at about the same time. Would I gain velocity if I did I got my arm up sooner like they do?

I didnt look at the video in slo-mo, but optimally your arm would be parallel to the ground at foot plant. If your arm is much lower or higher it can cause diminished velocity. However, your lack of hip-torso separation is a much bigger factor here for the velocity. This the area you should be focusing on.
Once you get the hip torso separation and you truly learn how to use your body correctly when throwing, your body can self-correct some mechanical flaws. Your body might naturally fix your lagging arm if you can improve your hip torso separation and use your torso to connect your lower and upper body together and gain more energy behind your throws.

I’ll try to work on that. I’ll post more videos soon. I just got to break this bad habit. I’m in the low to mid 80’s I believe right now, so if I can get this right then this could be huge for me. Velocity wise.

Any drills that you know that might help with this?
With my travel ball team we do “down and out” and get to that perfect position, but I think I need a more continuous drill to help me fix this. One person suggested on here that I use a broom and go through “down and out.”

Is that something that you would also recommend?

Thanks!

[quote=“jimster”]I’ll try to work on that. I’ll post more videos soon. I just got to break this bad habit. I’m in the low to mid 80’s I believe right now, so if I can get this right then this could be huge for me. Velocity wise.

Any drills that you know that might help with this?
With my travel ball team we do “down and out” and get to that perfect position, but I think I need a more continuous drill to help me fix this. One person suggested on here that I use a broom and go through “down and out.”

Is that something that you would also recommend?

Thanks![/quote]

I would recommend that broom drill. It can help you get a feel for what the separation feels like.
The biggest improvement for me came from developing the right mental cue when throwing. I used to try to use my lower body as much as possible to get more velocity. By focusing on getting my weight going as far forward as possible, I developed the bad habit of opening early with my front side. I recommend to you to try focusing more on keeping your shoulders closed and not opening up until you feel a pull in your torso. If you get the correct hip-torso separation, you will feel that pull in your torso and your shoulders will naturally want to rotate and throw the ball.

And I will throw 100 mph. haha. Thanks! I will keep working on my hip/torso separation. I think that will the biggest help in my velocity and like it was mentioned earlier, it will probably help clean up my motion more.

I made another video today trying to work on that just. it’s on my channel on youtube. http://www.youtube.com/user/jimmywink1993?feature=mhee

I would have put the videos on here, but I don’t think they are much better than Monday’s because I was sore from working out yesterday at practice and from throwing yesterday and Monday.

I will probably not post a video on here or youtube for a week or so. So I can really focus on creating that separation that I need to clean up my motion and perhaps get my ball up to the big 90 mph.

It’s pretty exciting that I’m in the low to mid 80’s without using my tree trunk legs to their full potential!

If you watch my video, I notice that when I’m at the bottom of my hand break, before my hand starts to come up, I kind of hitch. Is this bad? is this something I should try to change?

My one dad’s friend, Jim Farrell, who was a darn good pitcher until he hurt his arm suggested a drill for this. It was called the figure 8 drill. And you basically just break your hands and move them in an 8 motion and then throw. Is this a good drill and are there any others that I can do?

That all hinges on the premise that the ‘hitch’ is a bad thing and should be fixed. Let me know thanks!

Topped out at 76 mph so 84 with the conversion method :stuck_out_tongue: I was consistently at 81-83 mph

You can listen to the sound of the video to here each pitch’s speed(the person using my gun says the speed that appears on the gun) But I must warn you that my 10 year old friend that I have recording this gets loud at one point in both videos, so turn up your volume too loud.

I was not really working on mechanics, mostly trying to see where my velocity is.

Let me know what you think! Thanks!

I add mph because I used a Bushnell radar gun.

I won’t being trying to top out every time I pitch now, but it’s nice to know about where I’m at right now.

I made two more videos today using my brother’s phone in hopes of a higher quality video.

You can be the judge, but it isn’t that much better.

I feel like my shoulders are still opening up too early and my hips aren’t opening up early enough. Bad combination. :stuck_out_tongue:

It doesn’t look like I’m throwing that fast because the target is several feet behind the furthest spot where a catcher would be.

I feel like I’m not hitching as bad as I was before. I still need to clean that up more.

Comments and tips welcome!

I also look like I’m not striding straight home. I think I might start standing on the 3rd base side of the rubber.

I don’t think that standing on the 3rd base side is an issue, just adds a little more difficult angle for the batter to look at. More angles = harder to hit.