New to the mechanics section... 17 Y/o Mechanics

Alright guys, I Havn’t posted much in the mechanics section so I’ll tell you a little bit about my story, I just got home to canada from 6 months training in Dominican Republic, Im a 6 foot 6 pitcher who right now only throws maybe about 82ish (never been clocked so this is just a guess) I’ve been trying to post every day in the Pitching logs section of my workouts and how i’ve been training so I can see what areas I need to improve… You can read my log in the pitching log section (A.B Journal to improvement and success)

Right now I’m kind of taking a month off to rest my arms and such, However, I wanted to get a quick analysis of my mechanics so I can see what I need to improve when I start throwing again.

(This video is from August of 2012 so since than my mechanics have gotten a little bit better, but I figure that a video of me pitching a while ago is better than no video at all!

Any help is really really appreciated!

The thing that struck me first was that you are moving a little too deliberately. A little too smooth. A little too slow. You move up with your leg lift, you come down, pause just a little, and then move back out into your stride. You need to accelerate and build speed through your stride.

1- leg lift- you get into the conventional straight up and balanced position. When your lift leg has decended, look at your position. You have not even moved toward the target. If you look at it in slow mo, you have lifted the leg and basically returned to your initial starting position and not moved forward. You need to come up, close off the lift leg, and get your hip moving to the target before the peak of your leg lift.

2- I think you do a good job of keeping your front leg closed. The problem is that because of #1 you haven’t moved far down the mound and you begin to reach with the front leg. You also need to activate your rear leg and push off the rubber to get down the mound.

3- At front foot landing I don’t see much separation. Both your hips and shoulder are closed. When you throw the ball they are moving together in unison. Post a side view for a better look at this.

4- You have good external rotation. You brace up the front leg well. You pronate well. And you have a good follow through.

5- When I look at your back leg at follow through it confirms a few of my earlier comments. There is very little “reaction”. What I mean, is that when a pitcher accelerates well through his stride and then his front foot lands and the leg braces up- the back leg flies up in reaction to the momentum created. This doesn’t happen with you as much. It usually mean that you are holding back. You are not accelerating as fast as you can through the stride into front foot landing.

You have good size and lots of athleticism, so use it to your advantage!

I would suggest you consider two things:

1- Alter your current leg lift.
2- Work on using your drive leg more aggressively.

This will help you to accelerate, get you better separation, and improve your velocity. But, you seem to have really solid mechanics and you don’t need to tinker on too many things.

Thanks Doc Gooding! I’m going to start throwing again in febuary so I’ll deffinetly post a new video than, with the changes that you suggest! It makes alot of sense!

So in order to get used to my hip going forward would the hershiser drill be a good one to practice before I start throwing?

[quote=“Blakey2014”]Thanks Doc Gooding! I’m going to start throwing again in febuary so I’ll deffinetly post a new video than, with the changes that you suggest! It makes alot of sense!

So in order to get used to my hip going forward would the hershiser drill be a good one to practice before I start throwing?[/quote]

Yes. The Hershiser drill and the wall drill are 2 very good drills. Baseball thinktink also had some good info for the hips and creating separation. Bringing the lift leg straight up is fine, but you want to start that front hip toward the target before you come to the peak. This helps you to stay closed longer and will get your further down the mound. Knock those drills off everyday and you’ll be in great shape for spring! Good luck!