new pitcher

i am gonna start pitching i have never pitched before but ive been timing my velocty and ive been at 85-90 i have patterned it aafter lincecum and my own together i have never worked
do you think that i can get it to 95 by next august by doing tuff cuff and long toss.
also i heard that a splitter is bad for the arm ive been using it and have great movement. is it bad or just a myth??

Hey, I know I(and many others) have done this at some point but we think we throw harder than we do. You may very well throw that speed but most likely it would be around 80 mph, as well using a stop watch to give precise mph readings isn’t very exact. Best thing to do would be get a radar gun, but even before that get a video of your mechanics and have the guys on here help you tweak your mechanics to get the full potential out of your body.

Good for you! Sounds like you’ve got a nice foundation. Now the work begins! Post some video and let us help point you in the right direction moving forward. But long tossing and TUFFCUFF, along with a good work ethic can certainly do wonders :slight_smile:

ive been on here alot reading about mechnacis before i swited my pitches were slow but thanks to you guys a lincecum folling igaind alot.

and by measuring my velocity with stope watch would my real velocity be 10 mph less or more like 5?

http://www.csgnetwork.com/baseballpitchspdcalc.html

If you take a good, if you put in your time as .6 it says you throw 68 mph, and if you put in .5 it says you throw 82 mph. The tiniest fraction off you are(and you usually will be because timing a pitcher is not easy) will change your mph easily. A radar gun is the best, but i’d say worry about your pitches, then work on your mph.
Btw what is your body weight, age and height?

isuassly get .67-.72 and it says thatss 84-90

im 6’1 170 and 19

Not to burst your bubble here, but you are looking at the feet per second. Major League teams and such use the Miles Per Hour (MPH)

[quote=“randymoss1881”]isuassly get .67-.72 and it says thatss 84-90

im 6’1 170 and 19[/quote]

With those times, you aren’t even throwing 80mph. A good rule of thumb is .5 is approximately 80mph, but like I said don’t worry about speed at the moment, get those mechanics down and the speed will come with it.

CanadianBall has it right–trying to time pitching velocity with a stopwatch is about the same as trying to measure the width of a gnat’s rear-end with a yardstick…you can generate numbers, but the measurement errors are so large compared to the magnitude of the thing you’re measuring that those numbers are worthless.

The major source of error in stopwatch measurements of very short duration events (like pitches) is human reaction time, as CanadianBall also implied. The operator must push a button to start the watch exactly as the pitch leaves the hand and the operator must stop the watch exactly when the ball hits catcher’s glove. Relative to the ~0.5 second event, there is a huge error on both ends of the measurement.

Try to think this through logically: Accurate stopwatches have existed for a very long time–they are great for measuring times of long-duration events, like a 100 yard dash for example. In such cases, the human error is very much smaller than the event that’s being measured.

If stopwatches were accurate tools for measuring pitch velocity there would be no controversy about how fast older generation pitchers were throwing (i.e., before radar guns were common). Before the advent of radar guns, all accurate speed measurements of pitchers were fairly elaborate scientific experiments so there are only a few pre-radar numbers for a few prominent pitchers that you can believe.

I can confirm from personal experiments what Laflippen is saying. A while back somebody mentioned having a pitch counter that had a pitching timing calculator built in. I thought that would make an interesting iPhone app, and looked - and you betcha, you can get something called bbalspeed for a buck or two. It’s basically a stopwatch that automatically adjusts for 90’ or 50’ or 46’, or whatever pitching distance you like. So I have tried this at LL games, LL practices, MLB games on TV, and MLB games in person. And no matter how hard I try, or how much I try to adjust my timing with experience, I can’t get more than 90% accuracy with any consistency. So that means the numbers swing 10% each way, which makes them pretty much meaningless.