New pitcher looking for advice

So this is my senior year of high school and it will be my first year playing. I played baseball from the age of five until eighth grade when i dislocated my elbow in a wrestling tournament. I decided i want to play again and my dad suggested i try pitching even though when i used to play i generally was a position player. Over the last few months i have been training hard to adopt good mechanics and just get a general feel for the position. Right now i throw a 2 seam and a 4 seam fast ball. I throw two types because my two seam has a nasty hook on it while my 4 seam has a bit more velocity. I throw my 2 seams in the mid 70 and my 4 seam around early 80s. i also throw a snappy slider and an ok curveball. ive gotta a good change when i keep it down. With a month left until try outs i was wondering if i could get any advice on better ways to get physically and mentally in shape for pitching and i wanna know if you guys think i will be succesful

Interesting sign on name … sailormonkey. How’d you come by that?

Your take on your status thus far:
I throw two types because my two seam has a nasty hook on it while my 4 seam has a bit more velocity. I throw my 2 seams in the mid 70 and my 4 seam around early 80s. i also throw a snappy slider and an ok curveball. ive gotta a good change when i keep it down.

This status will serve you well at the HS level. But I must warn you, in addition to your father’s concerns, about this past injury of yours. So, since 8th grade, you’ve had 4 years to recover and nurse your elbow back to shape. And I assume that most of the time, you’ve used it for other things sports related, like playing with your friends and a host of other things.

Although this may seem like a long time to you, you should be aware of the growing cycle that youngsters experience during these early years of development. In addition to healing, your elbow - with all its related parts, have been developing in ways just to keep pace with your physical development overall. This is no small observation that professionals in the medical field would overlook, especially with instructions for your rehabilitation and quality of life issues later on.

What you have to be aware of, and with lots of family support, is the overuse by a coaching staff - or person, to carry an unfair load with respect to pitching. Yes, you do have a lot of quality stuff going into this sport and at this time in your life. And yes, you should do well with holding your own with just about any circumstance(s) for high school level baseball.

As tryouts get underway, you should be able to look around and take stock of who’s doing what and where you fit in. And if your high school is like so many others ( not all) you should be welcomed with open arms. Your inventory of pitches and your self awareness of what and who you are, serve you well.

Going into uncharted waters is what all have to do somewhere in our life, and for you, this just happens to be your time. Take pride in the fact that after all these years - you still have the desire and the guts to compete in a sport that you’ve been away from for a while (at the HS level anyway).

I commend you on your venture to try and earn a spot on a HS club, to be willing to take what comes and do your best. Very few people, regardless of age, would muster the courage to try what you’re trying - age and stations in life being equal.

Remember, you want to keep a reasonable pitch count on yourself and you want your dad to be 100% behind you on this. You also want a reasonable days rest after every appearance (game). Listen to your body telling you how healthy your arm and elbow feel.

Coach B.

Good luck with your tryouts! Keep posting your questions on here and we’ll help you as best we can…