New pitch

Currently my pitches are only a 4 seam 2 seaman a change up, I want to learn a pitch with greater movement, what would be a good one to learn and how should I throw it

how old are you and how effective are you with your current pitches? accuracy? Do you get good movement on your on your 2 seam fast ball? Are you not effective with your current pitches is that why you think you need another pitch?

I’m almost 15 and i am good in speed and accuracy with my pitches, my two seam works good on some days, but on others it isn’t very good which is why I want a pitch with better movement

Hi, Austin, and welcome aboard.
First of all, you say you throw both a two-seamer and a four-seamer. I get the feeling that one of those two pitches works better for you than the other; which one is it? I remember when Jim Brosnan was with the St. Louis Cardinals in 1959; one day he was talking with pitching coach Clyde King and he complained that neither pitch was working for him. King promptly called in a catcher and had Brosnan do some throwing for about ten minutes, using both pitches. Then he told him to drop the four-seamer altogether and go with the two-seamer which was working much better for him. That may be your situation, or it may be the reverse—you should check out both those pitches and see which one really does it for you.
Second, you want another pitch, one that has more movement on it. I have two suggestions for you. One is a knuckle-curve, which can be a most devastating pitch. Basically you use a knuckleball grip, either two-finger or three-finger—I used to use both—and throw it like a curve ball. That pitch will come in there looking for all the world like a fast ball and then suddenly drop, the way a glass will do when it hits the floor.
The other—well, you might try a split-finger pitch, or splitter. This is a cousin of the forkball but much easier to throw because you don’t use the extreme grip you have to do for the fork ball; you just grip it like a two-seamer but with the index and middle fingers off the seams, maybe a bit wider—not much—and you throw it like a fast ball. That pitch will dip and dive and come in there low, sometimes hitting the dirt, and unless the batter is a very good low-ball hitter he will have no end of trouble trying to hit that pitch. Still another possibility is the slider, which is not as fast as a fast ball nor as sharply breaking as a curve but which is easier to throw and control than either of those two, and you can throw that one at different arm angles and different speeds. You grip that one off-center, with the index and middle fingers very close together and the middle finger just touching one seam, and you throw it like a curve but roll your wrist, don’t snap it—just turn it over, rather like a chef flipping a pancake or a crepe. This is a pitch that can be absolute murder on the hitters.
Just remember to move the ball around, high, low, inside, outside, change speeds, and stay away from the middle of the plate—this is something my pitching coach used to tell me. And another thing—I don’t know what arm slot you use, but if you can throw sidearm you can do it with all those pitches, and if you can pick up the crossfire, which is a move that works only with the sidearm delivery, you will have three times as many pitches! So go ahead, experiment and see what happens.

I really didn’t hear anything about your changeup, I get good movement on my straight change, what about you?

Sorry, I started getting good movement last summer as I started playing with my arm angle a little, I would sometimes drop 3/4 and that straight change was my best friend.

My circle change Is ok I will have to try using a slightly different arm angle and see if that also improves its movement

As long as you can learn it correctly, a curveball has some of the greatest movement for a pitch.
Sliders are closer to a fastball, they’re sort of inbetween a fastball and curveball, not quite as much break (generally about 6-8 inches for a good one I’d say, with late break).
I’ve always been a fan of the knuckleball, another pitch with quite a bit of break if thrown correctly.

I would say get really comforatable with at least one change up, circle change or a straight change, something. Get solid with location and when you like to throw it. Find a radar gun and try to get your change to be 7-10 mph slower than your fastball. Add that to your 2 and 4 seamer and you will really have a good set of pitches.

That’s what I always heard and been told.
In order to be successful, a pitcher needs at least one each of the following pitches: fastball, change-up, and breaking ball.
And especially remember to keep your arm speed the same on the change-up and the fastball.

Many moons ago, when I was getting into pitching, the first changeup I acquired was a palm ball—easy to pick up, easy to throw, and absolute murder on the hitters. For this one you grip the ball with all four fingers on top and the thumb underneath for support, making sure that the thumb and middle finger cut the ball in half, and well back in the palm of your hand (hence the name)—but don’t grip the ball too tightly, because you don’t want to squeeze the juice out of it! And you throw it with the same arm motion and the same arm speed as for the fast ball. You can even change speeds on it, either loosening or tightening the grip a little, or holding the ball further forward in your hand.
I didn’t have a fast ball to speak of, so I threw mine like my curve ball, with a sharp karate-chop wrist snap, and later on I threw it like the slider (easier wrist action). And, being a sidearmer, I picked up the crossfire move and threw it that way too—that’s a move that works only with the sidearm delivery and will work with any pitch. I used to have so much fun with that crossfire, making the batters look stupid no matter what I threw, and one time when my pitching coach was helping me solve the problem of the circle change he said to me, “I know you’re going to crossfire it. You use that move with everything you throw.” :slight_smile: In any event, give the palm ball a whirl—you’ll find it to be a very nice changeup. 8)