Hi,
My name is Chris and I am new member. I have a 11 year old son,Kyle, who LOVES to pitch. Favorite pitcher is Verlander. I thought he had decent mechanics until I recorded and slowed it down. His mechanics are not bad but I’m sure there are things that can be tweaked. He doesn’t seem to be getting the velocity that he should be getting. He told me he is tired of hearing other coaches telling their players to “move up in the box”. LOL. Any advice/tips would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

[/GVideo]

Welcome!

“Move up in the box”, eh?
If that’s what coaches are telling their players—meaning the batters—to move up in the box, there’s a way of dealing with it. Don’t give them anything they can hit! My wise and wonderful pitching coach, Eddie Lopat, once told me that the way to discourage a plate-crowder is to pitch him in on the fists, jam him, move him back from the edge. Don’t throw him a fastball, because that’s what he’s looking for—try a knuckle-curve, for example. That’s a pitch that comes in there looking like a fastball and then suddenly drops like a glass hitting the floor and shattering into little tiny bits! I used to do that with my slider and ended up striking them out.